GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In a conference, if each of the 1230 participants ordered for either

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58345
In a conference, if each of the 1230 participants ordered for either  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 02:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:27) correct 40% (01:48) wrong based on 124 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

examPAL Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 1140
Re: In a conference, if each of the 1230 participants ordered for either  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 04:10
1
The answer is A.

This is a straightforward Logical question:
We are told everybody ordered either coffee or tea, but not both. meaning - every female who didn't order tea, ordered coffee. Thus, 1) is sufficient - if 70% of females ordered tea, 30% ordered coffee. sufficient!
2) is totally irrelevant - the makeup of what males drunk tells us nothing about the females.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Apr 2017
Posts: 32
Location: India
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Re: In a conference, if each of the 1230 participants ordered for either  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 07:04
1
If 70% of the females had tea, the remaining 30% of them must have had coffee as people picked either of the two beverages - statement I is sufficient A.
Since we don't know the exact number of people of the 1230 people who ordered coffee, B is of no use and can't help us calculate the number/percentage of females who had coffee.

Will wait for the OA.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Joined: 17 Apr 2018
Posts: 21
Location: Italy
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
In a conference, if each of the 1230 participants ordered for either  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 01:19
1
Bunuel wrote:
In a conference, if each of the 1230 participants ordered for either Tea or Coffee (but not both), what percent of the female participants ordered for Coffee?

(1) 70 percent of the female participants ordered for Tea.
(2) 80 percent of the male participants ordered for Coffee.

Time needed: 1m 30s

We need to know the % of W participants who ordered coffee. We know that:
a)every participant ordered for one of those drinks, but not both.

Process of elimination:
1)From that and statement a, we know the percentage of W who ordered coffee. Sufficient. Eliminate C and E.
2)we don't know how many W ordered coffee. Insufficient. Eliminate B, D.

Correct answer: A
_________________
Give kudos if you found this post helpful :D

My GMAT history:
1st GMATPrep: 620 (Q46, V29)
2nd GMATPrep: 700(Q46, V40)
3rd GMATPrep: 720(Q49, V38)
LBS Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 646
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge
Re: In a conference, if each of the 1230 participants ordered for either  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2019, 03:31
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Nov 2018
Posts: 61
Re: In a conference, if each of the 1230 participants ordered for either  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2019, 07:11
dumbodingo wrote:
If 70% of the females had tea, the remaining 30% of them must have had coffee as people picked either of the two beverages - statement I is sufficient A.
Since we don't know the exact number of people of the 1230 people who ordered coffee, B is of no use and can't help us calculate the number/percentage of females who had coffee.

Will wait for the OA.




I also have the same doubt. Can anyone please explain?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In a conference, if each of the 1230 participants ordered for either   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2019, 07:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a conference, if each of the 1230 participants ordered for either

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne