It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 06:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 01:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (00:54) correct 25% (00:54) wrong based on 468 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

(A) act as a buffer, so that it absorbs
(B) act like a buffer so as to absorb
(C) act as a buffer, absorbing
(D) acting as a buffer, absorbing
(E) acting like a buffer, absorb

[Reveal] Spoiler:
the correct answer in this question is choice D, here is answer explanation in official guide:

the last part of the sentence describes the breakwater and should consist of two grammatically parallel phrases, absorbing ... and protecting, in order to show two equal functions. Act followed by like means to behave or comport oneself and describes the action of a person: He acted like a fool. Here, act as describes the function of a thing; the breakwater ... acts as a bu er. As an inanimate object, a breakwater cannot “behave” itself; it must be performing some function

i do understand the explanation thoroughly but i have a problem with the coordinating conjunction " and" after "above the water line" . As far as i am concerned, coordinating conjunctions make independent clauses, but in the correct answer, after "and" there is no independent clause, consisting verb and subject
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 17 Aug 2017, 07:23, edited 3 times in total.
Formatted the Q.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [1], given: 17

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
sepehrsafari wrote:
In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, so that it absorbs the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

the correct answer in this question is choice D, here is answer explanation in official guide:

the last part of the sentence describes the breakwater and should consist of two grammatically parallel phrases, absorbing ... and protecting, in order to show two equal functions. Act followed by like means to behave or comport oneself and describes the action of a person: He acted like a fool. Here, act as describes the function of a thing; the breakwater ... acts as a bu er. As an inanimate object, a breakwater cannot “behave” itself; it must be performing some function

i do understand the explanation thoroughly but i have a problem with the coordinating conjunction " and" after "above the water line" . As far as i am concerned, coordinating conjunctions make independent clauses, but in the correct answer, after "and" there is no independent clause, consisting verb and subject

Hi .... OA is C

It is a //sm question.

pls follow below link for better explanation

https://e-gmat.com/blog/official-guide-solutions/sentence-correction-og/in-a-plan-to-stop-the-erosion

way to victory .....

Kudos [?]: 63 [1], given: 17

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 15

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS

My analysis:
{Parallelism 1}
... building (VERB) parallel (NOUN) to shore ... (Descriptive) and (to - omitted in ans because understood) act ...
{Parallelism 2}
absorbing ... and protecting

Therefore, ans: C

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 15

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [1], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
smartyman wrote:
My analysis:
{Parallelism 1}
... building (VERB) parallel (NOUN) to shore ... (Descriptive) and (to - omitted in ans because understood) act ...

I feel that "to shore" and "(to) act" is not the Parallelism that is being tested here.

Parallelism is between "rise" and "act".

Kudos [?]: 44 [1], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 06:51
sukanyar wrote:
smartyman wrote:
My analysis:
{Parallelism 1}

I feel that "to shore" and "(to) act" is not the Parallelism that is being tested here.

Parallelism is between "rise" and "act".

hi, thank you for your response but as i'd mentioned before, i DO understand the issue with parallelism but i do understand the explanation i have a problem with the coordinating conjunction " and" after "above the water line" . As far as i am concerned, coordinating conjunctions make independent clauses, but in the correct answer, after "and" there is no independent clause, consisting verb and subject

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 06:51
smartyman wrote:

My analysis:
{Parallelism 1}
{Parallelism 2}

hi, thank you for your response but as i'd mentioned before, i DO understand the issue with parallelism but i do understand the explanation i have a problem with the coordinating conjunction " and" after "above the water line" . As far as i am concerned, coordinating conjunctions make independent clauses, but in the correct answer, after "and" there is no independent clause, consisting verb and subject

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 06:55
sepehrsafari wrote:
i have a problem with the coordinating conjunction " and" after "above the water line" . As far as i am concerned, coordinating conjunctions make independent clauses, but in the correct answer, after "and" there is no independent clause, consisting verb and subject

There is independent clause after "and".

a breakwater of rocks would rise six feet above the waterline and (a breakwater of rocks would) act as a buffer

So, "breakwater of rocks" is the subject and "would act" is verb.

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 17

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5498 [1], given: 112

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sepehrsafari wrote:
smartyman wrote:

My analysis:
{Parallelism 1}
{Parallelism 2}

Hi,

AND has a role as coordinating conjunction, but it is not that it has to join ONLY two ICs..
I like to eat pasta and pizza....
there are no ICs... It is just one clause joining similar items..

same is the case here..
a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer,

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5498 [1], given: 112

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 11:34
chetan2u wrote:
sepehrsafari wrote:
smartyman wrote:

My analysis:
{Parallelism 1}
{Parallelism 2}

Hi,

AND has a role as coordinating conjunction, but it is not that it has to join ONLY two ICs..
I like to eat pasta and pizza....
there are no ICs... It is just one clause joining similar items..

same is the case here..
a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer,

hi thank you so much i actually guessed so, but i don't know how to differ AND as a coordinating conjunction with its other usages.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 559

WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2016, 11:09
sepehrsafari wrote:

the correct answer in this question is choice D

sepehrsafari

The answer is (C). Please update the answer.

Please refer these links,

https://e-gmat.com/blog/official-guide- ... he-erosion

http://gmat.magoosh.com/forum/3428-in-a ... he-erosion

http://www.beatthegmat.com/og-12-ing-mo ... 68884.html

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 559

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 20:23

Is n't subject of sentence is Army crops? Comma+ing modifies the entire action of proceding clause. and it APPLIES TO THE SUBJECT of that clause; Here is it Army crops_________________, absorbing.

Why C is correct?

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 23:14
abrakadabra21 wrote:

Is n't subject of sentence is Army crops? Comma+ing modifies the entire action of proceding clause. and it APPLIES TO THE SUBJECT of that clause; Here is it Army crops_________________, absorbing.

Why C is correct?

IMO

the Army Corps of Engineers proposed building parallel to shore a breakwater of rocks that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer,absorbing...

we have two clauses here , one having subject "Army corps" and one having "that" clause .The subject of "that" clause is "breakwater of rocks".Absorbing is modifying the subject in "that" clause .

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 23:19
that would rise six feet above the waterline and act as a buffer, absorbing the energy of crashing waves and protecting the beaches.

correct answer is C

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 314

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 63

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 12:36
I am a little confused here with like vs as.

My understanding is that like is used for noun and as is used for a noun + verb clause. Here, a buffer is a noun, so shouldn't we use like?

Can someone please clarify this? mikemcgarry

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8453 [0], given: 102

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 13:21
pra1785 wrote:
I am a little confused here with like vs as.

My understanding is that like is used for noun and as is used for a noun + verb clause. Here, a buffer is a noun, so shouldn't we use like?

Can someone please clarify this? mikemcgarry

Dear pra1785,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The rule "like for noun, as for verb" is a useful general pattern, but it's far from the last word on comparisons. There are specific idioms associated with the verb "act" that break this pattern. See:
A Tricky GMAT Idiom: “act like” vs. “act as”

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8453 [0], given: 102

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 07:04
mikemcgarry,

Yes! This makes so much sense now. I wasn't aware of this rule. thank you.

Re: In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2017, 07:04

In a plan to stop the erosion of East Coast beaches, the Army Corps of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap