Last visit was: 23 Jul 2024, 05:49 It is currently 23 Jul 2024, 05:49
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Level,   Probability,                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 643209 [53]
Given Kudos: 86728
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [16]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1799 [8]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 17353 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Re: In a real estate office that employs n salespeople, f of them are fema [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Solution

Given:
    • In a real estate office that employs n salespeople, f of them are females and x of the females are new employees

To find:
    • The value of n

Analysing Statement 1
    • As per the information given in statement 1, if an employee were randomly selected from the n employees, the probability of selecting a female would be \(\frac{2}{3}\)
      o This statement does not provide us any information about the male employees, and hence about the total number of employees

Hence, statement 1 is not sufficient to answer

Analysing Statement 2
    • As per the information given in statement 2, if an employee were randomly selected from the f female employees, the probability of selecting a new employee would be \(\frac{1}{2}\)
      o This statement says that half of the female employees are new, and again, does not provide us any information about the male employees, and the total number of employees

Hence, statement 2 is not sufficient to answer

Combining Both Statements
Even if we combine both the statements, we can’t find any information about the total number of employees

Hence, the correct answer is option E.

Answer: E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: In a real estate office that employs n salespeople, f of them are fema [#permalink]
1) f/n=2/3
3f=2n
INSUFFICIENT

2) x/f=1/2
f=2x
INSUFFICIENT

Combining:
3 variable and 2 equations, so N can't be found.

Answer E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Kudos
All data given leads to ratios by which we can't determine any value.
Option E answer

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Kudos
Well. I do agree with E if you are searching for exact value. This is the difference between GMAT and Math. In math, when told the variants in symbol, the rest is to express your result with symbols.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel

Hi

I got confushed a bit.
It means that 'find value of n' must be an exact number, not parameter?

I didn't assume parameter f for female, but the question, itself, gives us information that number of female is 'f'.

So, why can't I answer the question with parameter f?

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13819 [1]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
In a real estate office that employs n salespeople, f of them are females and x of the females are new employees. What is the value of n ?

(1) If an employee were randomly selected from the n employees, the probability of selecting a female would be 2/3.
(2) If an employee were randomly selected from the f female employees, the probability of selecting a new employee would be 1/2.

(DS03999)

Wanna make solving the Official Questions interesting???

Click here and solve 1000+ Official Questions with Video solutions as Timed Sectional Tests
and Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option E

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK HERE.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22696 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
In a real estate office that employs n salespeople, f of them are females and x of the females are new employees. What is the value of n ?

(1) If an employee were randomly selected from the n employees, the probability of selecting a female would be 2/3.
(2) If an employee were randomly selected from the f female employees, the probability of selecting a new employee would be 1/2.

NEW question from GMAT® Official Guide 2019

(DS03999)

Solution:

Question Stem Analysis:

We need to determine the value of n, the number of salespeople in a certain real estate office.

Statement One Alone:

From statement one, we see that f/n = 2/3. However, since we don’t know the value of f, we can’t determine the value of n. Statement one alone is not sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

From statement one, we see that x/f = 1/2. However, since we know neither the value of x nor the value of f, we can’t determine the value of n. Statement two alone is not sufficient.

Statements One and Two Together:

With the two statements, we still can’t determine the value of x or f; thus, we can’t determine the value of n. Both statements together are not sufficient.

Answer: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
If the number of female employees are provided in variable f then why the value of n can't be expressed in f. I thought the answer is A.

For example - if the variable f has a numerical value then we know the value of n will be numerical value.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Kudos
dbadgujer wrote:
If the number of female employees are provided in variable f then why the value of n can't be expressed in f. I thought the answer is A.

For example - if the variable f has a numerical value then we know the value of n will be numerical value.

dbadgujer
I got the same doubt as you do.

The question asks What is the value of n ?.
As my understaning, if value of n depends on value of f, finding value of n is INSUFFICIENT.

value of f can be 1, 5, 100, 26, ... that makes value of n vary.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Think of it this way: To solve a ratio problem (many probability problems are also ratio problems), you need both count and ratio information for at least one of the sets OR for the total.

In both situations 1 and 2, you don't have these crucial pieces of information. Forget the complicated math and just keep this one rule for ratio problems in mind.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 853 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94580 posts