GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 20:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Apr 2019, 22:48
Here is a different version of a nearly similar topic posted in the forum

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.

A. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of
B. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
C. Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
E. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

[b]WHETHER THIS QUESTION IS ACTUALLY FROM GMAT PREP IS UNCLEAR. THE QUESTION IS LOCKED, ARCHIVED, AND RETIRED.

What appears to be a legitimate version of the GMAT Prep question is discussed
HERE

Originally posted by daagh on 10 Nov 2012, 12:13.
Last edited by generis on 13 Apr 2019, 22:48, edited 6 times in total.
Added the OA
Manager
Manager
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2012, 22:02
yeah I have seen this Q too. I guess we have to go with A here. I think this question is very debatable.

A. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of
B. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
C. Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
E. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 09:45
daagh what's the answer I think answer should be D
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 19:07
daagh wrote:

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.

C. Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking [color=#ff0000documentation[/color] of

B) discovery and documenting are not parallel
-- the preposition "by" is a bit unusual in this context, but too subtle to worry about.
The issues are decided by prepositional objects that are not parallel.
C) discovering and discovery are not parallel;
D) discovery and documenting are not parallel
E) discovering and documentation are not parallel

Answer A, whose nouns are both "action nouns,"
is superior to the the other options.
Discovery and documentation are parallel.

Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through. . . discovery of X and through documentation of Y.

The answer is A.

GMATPrep appears to have created a bit of confusion.

The situation is unclear in this sense: two similar questions were posted with different OAs.
One has official answer (A) and
the other has official answer (D).
In the questions, the text of the options differs, especially the text of options A and D.
I don't think that the issue is cause for alarm.

teaserbae , perhaps you read about that other version on Manhattan Prep.
That question is a different version.
The different question whose OA is (D) is HERE.
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 21:01
generis wrote:
daagh wrote:

C. Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking [color=#ff0000documentation[/color] of

-- the preposition "by" is a bit unusual in this context, but too subtle to worry about.

Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through. . . discovery of X and through documentation of Y.

The answer is A.

The situation is unclear in this sense: two similar questions were posted with different OAs.
In the questions, the text of the options differs, especially the text of options A and D.

generis A,B and C cannot be the answer because Mary Leakey is not in addition to her work it is the contribution
So we are left with D and E in which D seems better than E
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 21:26
generis

How does one distinguish between verb-ing as action
from simple nouns? (I can distinguish the same with relative ease when verb-ing
is used as a subject as explained here)

I must admit lots of students struggled to perform PoE between C,D and E since
identifying verb-ing in object place in this official sentence was a tricky situation.

I would also like to point out a subtle difference between shifting the main verb
(and hence the intended meaning) from contributed (in option A) to include (in option D/E)
I know you love to use splits and may be this could well be deciding factor. :)

teaserbae

Quote:
A,B and C cannot be the answer because Mary Leakey is not in addition to her work it is the contribution

Let me split the sentence into its clauses for you:

Quote:
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record,

(Opening prepositional phrase modifying the subject after coma)

Quote:
Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology

(independent clause)

Quote:
through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.

parallelism marker AND. When you see such markers, think of it as main stem of a tree and search for its branches
(i.e. elements that needs to be parallel)
Here: discovery and documentation are nouns and are grammatically and logically parallel.
Painstaking is adjective for noun documentation. (Think if painstaking gives more about documentation, yes )

Hope this helps. Happy study prep :)

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 21:36
teaserbae wrote:
generis wrote:
daagh wrote:

The answer is A.

generis A,B and C cannot be the answer because Mary Leakey is not in addition to her work it is the contribution

teaserbae , this question is difficult. Introductory phrases such as this one are unusual.

I'm going to archive the question since I cannot verify that it is GMAT Prep
and there are dozens of official questions that will pose no headaches.

Here is another page on Manhattan Prep in which Brian Schneider (of Manhattan Prep) believes that the answer is A.
That site raises a possibility I had not thought about: the possibility that that this version is not from GMAT Prep.

A moderator from another forum reported this question; I responded.

Until I see a snapshot or hear daagh confirm that this question is from GMAT PREP
I cannot in good conscience leave the question on the active forum.

Locked and archived.
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2019, 21:36

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap