Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [44]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 83
GPA: 3.89
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.62
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: In casual conversation, people experience little psychological [#permalink]
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
In casual conversation, people experience little psychological discomfort in admitting that they have some particular character flaw if and only if they consider trivial the flaw to which they admit. Therefore, if in casual conversation an individual readily admits that he or she has some particular character flaw, the individual must not consider that flaw to be serious.

Which one of the following is an assumption necessary to the argument?

(A) Most character flaws are considered trivial by those who have them.
(B) People admit to having only those character flaws that most other people consider trivial.
(C) In casual conversation, people admit to having character flaws only when they must.
(D) In casual conversation, people most readily admit to having a character flaw only when that admission causes them little psychological discomfort.
(E) In casual conversation, people do not speak of things that would give others an unfavorable impression of their character.

Flaw Trivial (A) = Discomfort in admitting the flaw (B)

Flaw not serious (means Flaw Trivial) (A) = Readily Admitting (C)

If A = B, & A = C

Means A = C

Only answer choice D makes this comparison.

Hence correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 261 [1]
Given Kudos: 306
Send PM
In casual conversation, people experience little psychological [#permalink]
Kudos
In casual conversation, people experience little psychological discomfort in admitting that they have some particular character flaw if and only if they consider trivial the flaw to which they admit. Therefore, if in casual conversation an individual readily admits that he or she has some particular character flaw, the individual must not consider that flaw to be serious.

Irrelevant
(B) People admit to having only those character flaws that most other people consider trivial.
Irrelevant
(C) In casual conversation, people admit to having character flaws only when they must.
Irrelevant
(D) In casual conversation, people most readily admit to having a character flaw only when that admission causes them little psychological discomfort.

If negated this becomes --- "In casual conversation , people do not most readily admit to having a character flaw only when that admission causes them little psychological discomfort."
Then the conclusion which says "that an individual readily admits that he /she has some particular character flaw when he/she considers that flaw trivial (or that means not serious
and causes them little discomfort)"

can not follow.

So D is the assumption.

(E) In casual conversation, people do not speak of things that would give others an unfavorable impression of their character.[/quote]

VeritasKarishma , egmat , ChiranjeevSingh , GMATNinja Is my explanation correct ? :)
Give me kudos if you like my explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
In casual conversation, people experience little psychological [#permalink]
Nevernevergiveup wrote:

(E) In casual conversation, people do not speak of things that would give others an unfavorable impression of their character.

Hi,
This is an interesting question. Kudos to nevergiveup! :D
So, from the above argument, the first sentence draws a correlation between "little psychological discomfort" in admitting some flaw to its trivial nature, which they admit. The next sentence concludes a causal relationship between the two. Because one admits readily...... the flaw is trivial.
Note that we need to bridge the gap between the premise and conclusion. So what are we missing? Look for that "gap" in logic. So for example, if I were to go on a date, I would take note of what to speak. Now let's say I do have a flaw: I'm selfish. Now if I admit that I am indeed a selfish person, I consider this as absolutely trivial, and so I would have little psychological discomfort. :D
To make things easy, lets look at the options and eliminate the wrong ones:
Option A: We are talking about a particular character flaw, not most. Also if we negate this, the argument doesn't change. Eliminate
Option B: People admit to having character flaws that "they" consider trivial. What is trivial to you could be serious to others. Negation test doesn't hold positive either. Eliminate.
Option C: This is extreme. In fact when we negate this, the argument doesn't change.Eliminate.
Option D: This is the only option that connects discomfort to admitting a character flaw. If we negate this,the argument breaks up. Keep this.
Option E: This is out is scope, similar to B. What is trivial to you could be serious to others. We don't know what is serious to them. Eliminate.

D is the right answer.

Hope this helps!
:D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34 (Online)
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi

I think D is a conclusion and not something new that can be taken as assumption.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
What would be the negation of D

Would we it be "not most readily admit" or would it be "most readily admit not only if"
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [2]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos