GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

In contrast to India where many early followers of Buddhism were

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
In contrast to India where many early followers of Buddhism were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Jan 2019, 19:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (00:48) correct 16% (00:50) wrong based on 315 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In contrast to India, where many early followers of Buddhism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in China lived in monastic communities in which rules were developed for purposes of administrative organization, discipline and the management of monastic land and properties.

(A) India, where many early followers of Buddhism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in China

(B) Buddhism's early followers in India, many of whom were itinerants who traveled the countryside and were disseminating the Buddha's teachings, in China they

(C) Buddhism in India, with early followers who were itinerants and many of them travelling the countryside and disseminating the Buddha's teachings, China's early followers of Buddihsm

(D) early followers of Buddhism in India, who were itinerants, many of them travelling the countryside, and they disseminated the Buddha's teachings, in China they

(E) early followers of Buddhism in India, many of whom were itinerants travelling the countryside in order to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in china

Originally posted by mun23 on 15 Mar 2013, 09:11.
Last edited by generis on 05 Jan 2019, 19:21, edited 4 times in total.
Underlined, edited the question, renamed the topic
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: In contrast to India where many early followers of Buddhism were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2013, 10:36
Its pretty tricky, but A would go with E because it successfully compares early followers in India to (those) Early followers in China.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In contrast to India where many early followers of Buddhism were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2013, 10:41
In this kind of question we need to pay attention to what we are comparing.

A) in contrast to China, ... those in India. Wrong comparison (country vs people)
B) who travelled ... and were disseminating. Wrong not parallel
C)Buddhism in India, ... China`s early followers. Wrong comparison (religion vs people)
D) who were itinerants ... and they disseminated. Wrong not parallel
and "in China they" is not clear
E)correct comparison; "in order to" explains why they were travelling and is used correctly

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2013, 10:45
mun23 wrote:
Need help in this attached file

E for me. Valid comparison. Early followers of India compared to those of China.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Intern
Intern
B
Status: "Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f**k you were gonna do anyway." - Quite a status, Huh!
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2013, 11:06
mun23 wrote:
In contrast to India,where many early followers of Buddism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha`s teachings, those in China lived in monastic communities in which rules were developed for purposes of administrative organization,discipline and the management of monastic land and properties.

(A) India,where many early followers of Buddism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha`s teachings, those in China
(B)Buddism`s early followers in india,many of whom were itinerants who travelled the countryside and were disseminating the Buddha`s teachings, in China they
(C)Buddism in India,with early followers who were itinerants and many of them travelling the countryside and disseminating the Buddha`s teachings,China`s early followers of Buddism
(D)early followers of Buddism in India,who were itinerants,many of them travelling the countryside, and they disseminated the Buddha`s teachings, in China they
(E) early followers of Buddism in India,many of whom were itinerants travelling the countryside in order to disseminate the Buddha`s teachings,those in china

I think its E.

(A) Wrong. Reason: In contrast to should have the same quantifiable value. Here at the start its 'India' (a country) and compared to 'those in China' (few people)
(B) Wrong. Reason: Buddhism's followers is a wrong term as Buddhism is not a person. And it's always followers of a group and not group's followers.
(C) Wrong. Reason: Same as (A) 'Buddhism in India' is being compared to 'China`s early followers of Buddism'. One is a belief and the other is a quantifiable number
(D) Wrong. Reason: Redundancy of thought, and not a very concisely written one. The wrong part is 'who were itinerants,many of them travelling' - both the parts separated by comma means the same

Cheers. Keep Dreaming.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2013, 09:51
E looks good for me. Except one doubt with the use of "they" which shows bit ambiguity between followers and the teachings.

Any comments

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 15:47
@mikemcgarry/@GMATNinja
Sir,
I have two doubts here-
1. Can you please help me to understand the usage of "many of whom" vs "many of them"?
2. I struggle to understand the usage of Comma+with?

Regards
Rahul

Nothing comes easy ! Neither do i want !!

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2018, 16:45
rahul2013 wrote:
@mikemcgarry/@GMATNinja
Sir,
I have two doubts here-
1. Can you please help me to understand the usage of "many of whom" vs "many of them"?
2. I struggle to understand the usage of Comma+with?

Regards
Rahul

Hi,
Let me try.

Question No 1.

You can use both, but the punctuation varies slightly for each. If we wish to continue as a relative clause we use 'many of whom', and when as an independent clause we use 'many of them'.

"In the evening we went to a party. I met Diana's friends, many of whom are connected with the movie industry."
"In the evening we went to a party. I met Diana's friends. Many of them are connected with the movie industry."
"In the evening we went to a party where I met Diana's friends, many of whom are connected with the movie industry."
"In the evening we went to a party where I met Diana's friends. Many of them are connected with the movie industry.

We can use 'whom' under three different circumstances:

1) in questions when we ask about the name or identity of a person or group of people.
`I want to send a telegram.'—`Fine, to whom?'

2)after certain words, especially verbs and adjectives, to introduce a clause where you talk about the name or identity of a person or a group of people.
'He asked whom I'd told about his having been away.'

3)at the beginning of a relative clause when specifying the person or group of people you are talking about or when giving more information about them. (Pronoun/prep pron)
'There were generations of women for whom work provided an escape from family life.

Question No. 2

', +with' usually plays a role of prepositional phrase.

A prepositional phrase will function as an adjective or adverb.

As an adjective, the prepositional phrase will answer the question Which one?
The book on the bathroom floor is swollen from shower steam.
Which book? The one on the bathroom floor!

As an adverb, a prepositional phrase will answer questions such as How? When? or Where?
His prospects for the future were very grim, with the bank foreclosing on his mortgage.

Hope it helps.
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2018, 10:20
mun23 wrote:
In contrast to India, where many early followers of Buddism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in China lived in monastic communities in which rules were developed for purposes of administrative organization, discipline and the management of monastic land and properties.

(A) India, where many early followers of Buddism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in China

(B) Buddism's early followers in India, many of whom were itinerants who travelled the countryside and were disseminating the Buddha's teachings, in China they

(C) Buddism in India, with early followers who were itinerants and many of them travelling the countryside and disseminating the Buddha's teachings, China's early followers of Buddism

(D) early followers of Buddism in India, who were itinerants, many of them travelling the countryside, and they disseminated the Buddha's teachings, in China they

(E) early followers of Buddism in India, many of whom were itinerants travelling the countryside in order to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in china

In Contrast to X , Y : Correct Idiomatic usage
Further both X and Y must be parallel (comparison)

Hence, Correct Answer must be (E)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 16:51
What is difference between Option B and Option E ?
Senior SC Moderator
V
In contrast to India where many early followers of Buddhism were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2019, 18:55
mun23 wrote:
In contrast to India, where many early followers of Buddism were itinerants traveling the countryside to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in China lived in monastic communities in which rules were developed for purposes of administrative organization, discipline and the management of monastic land and properties.

(B) Buddhism's early followers in India, many of whom were itinerants who travelled the countryside and were disseminating the Buddha's teachings, in China they

(E) early followers of Buddhism in India, many of whom were itinerants travelling the countryside in order to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, those in china

ammuseeru wrote:
What is difference between Option B and Option E ?

ammuseeru , here are shortened versions of B and E

B) In contrast to Buddhism's early followers in India, many of whom were itinerants . . . , in China they lived in monastic communities . . .

E) In contrast to early followers of Buddhism in India, many of whom were itinerants . . . , those in China lived in monastic communities . . .

An itinerant is a traveler, a person who does not stop in one place.
A person who lives in a monastic community lives in one place.

Take a look at my abbreviated versions of B and E.
The difference lies in the second part of the sentence that I have shortened.
One of those two pronoun constructions is wrong.

Followers of Buddhism in India is one group with a particular identity.
The pronoun in the second part of the sentence refers to . . . ?
We have a parallelism issue.

In the incorrect construction:
-- The problem is not pronoun ambiguity.
-- The problem is that NO antecedent exists for the pronoun, OR
-- that the pronoun and its alleged antecedent disagree in content — the alleged antecedent and the pronoun are not exactly the same kind of thing.

Hope that helps. Ask again if you get stuck. :)

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up.
--Jesse Jackson

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 09:49
generis

I had few more reasons to eliminate (B)
Let me share sentence structure again:

In contrast to Buddhism's early followers in India, so we are basically comparing followers in India. (more precisely Buddhism followers)

many of whom were itinerants whom correctly modifies followers
who traveled the countryside who correctly modifies itinerants
and were disseminating the Buddha's teachings, AND separates two verbs: traveled and were disseminating
Now, here is the catch why do we need a simple past tense verb and past continuous connected by AND.
I firmly believe the second verb tense is incorrect.

in China they in China lived in monastic communities in which rules were developed for the purposes of administrative organization, discipline and the management of monastic land and properties.

Compare the structure in (E)
In contrast to early followers of Buddhism in India,
many of whom were itinerants travelling the countryside in order to disseminate the Buddha's teachings, traveling is verb-ing modifier without coma
modifying previous noun: itinerants , in order to = infinitive verb showing purpose, ie itinerants traveled countryside with purpose
to disseminate the Buddha's teachings

those in china lived in monastic communities (those = followers)
in which rules were developed for purposes of administrative organization, discipline and the management of monastic land and properties.
Also in (E) comparision becomes more subtle to understand:
In contrast to early followers of Buddhism in India, .. . . , those (ie followers) in china lived in monastic communities

Hope I am correct in my understanding.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.48
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2019, 02:09
Comparisons should be made between similar things like noun with noun , pronoun with pronoun etc . Here in the correct answer E 'followers' are correctly compared with 'those' .

In contrast to X , Y is the correct idiom

Please give kuddos friend
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In contrast to India where many early followers of Buddhism were &nbs [#permalink] 07 Jan 2019, 02:09

In contrast to India where many early followers of Buddhism were

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap