Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32899 [13]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [3]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Re: In Democracies and its Critics, Robert Dahl defends both democratic va [#permalink]
I completed this passage in 11 minutes with all correct answers. Is this pace fine to solve GMAT questions?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32899 [0]
Send PM
Re: In Democracies and its Critics, Robert Dahl defends both democratic va [#permalink]
Expert Reply
HASTOWINGMAT wrote:
I completed this passage in 11 minutes with all correct answers. Is this pace fine to solve GMAT questions?

Your speed is pretty much fine. 11 Minutes for this medium level passage is very good for the purpose of the GMAT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1711
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
For Q6, I got the answer correct but I spent a lot of time thinking about A. Does A weaken Dahl's defense ?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32899 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pranjal3107 wrote:
For Q6, I got the answer correct but I spent a lot of time thinking about A. Does A weaken Dahl's defense ?

Explanation

6. Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen Dahl’s defense of polyarchy?

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

The basic criticism (in paragraph 3) of Dahl’s model of polyarchy is that traditionally wealthier and better organized groups in society have dominated the political system at the expense of smaller groups. Thus, if it could be shown that these smaller groups actually had as much influence on policy as their wealthier, better organized counterparts (E), Dahl’s model would be strengthened.

(A) and (B) reflect the criticism leveled against polyarchy by its detractors.

(C) and (D), though not specific criticisms leveled by detractors, clearly conflict with Dahl’s concept of polyarchy. Therefore, if true, they would not strengthen his defense.

Answer: E
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
vipschips wrote:
did'nt get question 5

Quote:
5. Which one of the following is most closely analogous to pluralist democracies as they are described in relation to the democratic principle of political equality?

Hello, vipschips. Since you have recently joined GMAT Club, I would like to point out that LSAT passages and questions feel a little different from their GMAT™ counterparts. I see no harm in practicing LSAT passages for fun, or for fine-tuning down the road, once you have gotten your accuracy up to a high level on official GMAT™ questions, but I do not recommend training for the GMAT™ by using LSAT proxies. That said, the GMAT™ does occasionally toss an Application question in front of the reader, one in which the test-taker must select an answer that demonstrates a working knowledge of some concept brought up in the passage. The analogous scenario we are asked to consider in question 5 is fair game.

Since we are asked about an analogue to pluralist democracies, we can start by finding information on pluralist democracies. We can worry about the latter part of the question stem, the democratic principle of political equality, later. The opening line of the passage provides a second term for pluralist democracies—polyarchies—so we know to look for a description of either term in the text. Toward the end of the first paragraph, we happen upon both halves of the question stem:

Quote:
[T]he democratic principle of political equality is incapable of full realization. So actual systems can be deemed democratic only as approximations to the ideal. It is on these grounds that Dahl defends polyarchy.

In short, polyarchy, or pluralist democracy, is democratic in principle but is not capable of achieving true political equality. We are looking for an answer that outlines a similar relationship. Furthermore, just in case you missed that information in the first paragraph, you get a reminder in the middle of the second (my italics):

Quote:
It is this centrifugal characteristic, Dahl argues, that makes polyarchy the nearest possible approximation to the democratic ideal.

With a better understanding of the relationship, we can examine the answer choices.

Quote:
(A) an exact copy of an ancient artifact that is on display in a museum

An exact copy is a perfect replica, and we are looking for an imperfect execution of an ideal—an approximation.

Quote:
(B) a performance of a musical score whose range of tonality cannot be completely captured by any actual instruments

Yes. Notice how cannot be completely captured mirrors incapable of full realization from the passage. The only difference is that the answer choice swaps out a political system for a musical score, and, of course, such an alteration creates an analogy.

Quote:
(C) a lecture by a former astronaut to a class of young students who would like to be astronauts

There is nothing about an aspiring political system in the passage, or any information about an earlier form of polyarchy giving shape to a rising one.

Quote:
(D) the commemoration of a historical event each year by a historian presenting a lecture on a topic related to the event

This is a little too general for a proper analogy to be drawn. Although we can imagine that different historians might present different lectures loosely related by topic, thereby touching on an aspect of plurality, we are getting away from the closely defined relationship outlined in the passage between pluralist democracies and the democratic principle of equality.

Quote:
(E) the mold from which a number of identical castings of a sculpture are made

Like (A), this answer choice touches on the notion of one thing being identical to another. By this point, we should see right through the trap.

Perhaps the question makes more sense now. Whatever type of passage you are using to study, you must be able to find textual evidence to back up your answers. Otherwise, the task will feel overwhelming, and you will probably keep chasing answers and missing questions without understanding why.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Hey AndrewN since this passage is fresh in your mind, can I ask you another question please?

3. According to the passage, the aim of a political party in a polyarchy is to do which one of the following?

(A) determine what the position of the majority of voters is on a particular issue
(B) determine what position on an issue will earn the support of particular groups of voters
(C) organize voters into pressure groups in order to influence public policy on a particular issue
(D) ensure that elected officials accurately represent the position of the party on specific issue
(E) ensure that elected officials accurately represent the position of the electorate on specific issues

Now the answer is B and here is a quote from the passage -

"they do not ask what the majority thinks of an issue, but what policy commitments will sway the electoral decisions of particular groups."

And I get that, but can we really say that is the "aim" of political parties as suggested in the question?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
AnirudhaS wrote:
Hey AndrewN since this passage is fresh in your mind, can I ask you another question please?

3. According to the passage, the aim of a political party in a polyarchy is to do which one of the following?

(A) determine what the position of the majority of voters is on a particular issue
(B) determine what position on an issue will earn the support of particular groups of voters
(C) organize voters into pressure groups in order to influence public policy on a particular issue
(D) ensure that elected officials accurately represent the position of the party on specific issue
(E) ensure that elected officials accurately represent the position of the electorate on specific issues

Now the answer is B and here is a quote from the passage -

"they do not ask what the majority thinks of an issue, but what policy commitments will sway the electoral decisions of particular groups."

And I get that, but can we really say that is the "aim" of political parties as suggested in the question?

Hello, AnirudhaS. You found the right part of the passage, the latter half of paragraph two, but you seem to have missed the larger context:

Quote:
Competing for votes, parties seek to offer different sections of the electorate what they most want; they do not ask what the majority thinks of an issue, but what policy commitments will sway the electoral decisions of particular groups.

If parties seek to do something, then they aim to do so, and answer choice (B) restates the information after the semicolon. Although I see that the timer statistics reveal that quite a few people opt for (C) or (E), the former is a distortion of the third and last lines of the same paragraph—note that the passage separates political parties from pressure groups, X and Y, and is commenting specifically on groups that have strong feelings about an issue, not on political parties in general (that may employ pressure groups)—and the latter answer choice is a one-step-removed association from what the passage says at the beginning of paragraph two, namely that elected officials both determine government policy and are accountable to a broad-based electorate. Being accountable to an electorate is not the same as accurately representing the position of the electorate. The passage merely tells us, more or less, that elected officials report to the people who elected them.

Perhaps the question makes more sense now. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts