GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 19:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In Europe, many large animal species, such as mammoths, became extinct

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
MBA Blogger
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
In Europe, many large animal species, such as mammoths, became extinct [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Sep 2017, 21:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (01:02) correct 13% (01:44) wrong based on 479 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In Europe, many large animal species, such as mammoths, became extinct soon after humans first migrated to the animals' areas of habitation. The spread of such extinctions closely followed the pattern of human migration. However, since humans tended to migrate to areas as the climate in those areas began to warm, the extinctions might have been precipitated by the climatic warming rather than by human migration.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best evidence that it was human migration and not climatic change that precipitated the extinctions?

(A) Many animal species, such as deer and bison, continued to thrive in Europe even after humans migrated there.

(B) Several periods of marked climatic warming have occurred in Europe, during which many large animal species that lived there became extinct.

(C) Many animal species that became extinct in Europe survived longer in areas that were isolated from human populations but that experienced intense climatic warming.

(D) In some areas of Europe, only a few archaeological sites have yielded evidence that shows an overlap between the arrival of humans and the extinction of large animals.

(E) Some large animals had become extinct in Europe even before humans migrated there.

Originally posted by scofield1521 on 01 Sep 2014, 07:39.
Last edited by hazelnut on 30 Sep 2017, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In Europe, many large animal species, such as mammoths, became extinct [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 08:08
In Europe, many large animal species, such as mammoths, became extinct soon after humans first migrated to the animals' areas of habitation.
The spread of such extinctions closely followed the pattern of human migration.
However, since humans tended to migrate to areas as the climate in those areas began to warm, the extinctions might have been precipitated by the climatic warming rather than by human migration.

Which of the following, if true, provides the best evidence that it was human migration and not climatic change that precipitated the extinctions?

A. Many animal species, such as deer and bison, continued to thrive in Europe even after humans migrated there. [in a way weaken.]
B. Several periods of marked climatic warming have occurred in Europe, during which many large animal species that lived there became extinct.
C. Many animal species that became extinct in Europe survived longer in areas that were isolated from human populations but that experienced intense climatic warming.
D. In some areas of Europe, only a few archaeological sites have yielded evidence that shows an overlap between the arrival of humans and the extinction of large animals.
E. Some large animals had become extinct in Europe even before humans migrated there.

Except C all the options either weakens or introduces another factor for the mentioned change.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Intern
Intern
B
Re: In Europe, many large animal species, such as mammoths, became extinct [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 08:42
My answer: C

We need an evidence to prove that human migration is the real cause and not the climatic change. Option C does it perfectly.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
In Europe, many large animal species, such as mammoths, became extinct [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 22:50
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

Please help in my PoE.

Conclusion: It was human migration and not climatic change that precipitated (caused) the extinctions of large animal species.

(y)humans moved from one place to another because of climate changes (more specifically climate becoming warmer) but animals stayed at that place only and became extinct because of climate warming (my assumption)

The main question stem, though takes a different stance. It says :
It was human migrations and not climate warming that caused extinctions

I need an answer choice that makes above conclusion more believable.

Quote:
(A) Many animal species, such as deer and bison, continued to thrive in Europe even after humans migrated there.

I need to LINK human migrations with extinctions, not beak the link.
This if at all weaken the conclusion.

Quote:
(B) Several periods of marked climatic warming have occurred in Europe, during which many large animal species that lived there became extinct.

This makes me think climate warming caused extinctions of animal species, not human migrations. I am looking for other way round.

Quote:
(C) Many animal species that became extinct in Europe survived longer in areas that were isolated from human populations but that experienced intense climatic warming.

Here first THAT refers to animal species and second and third THAT refer to AREAS. Now I am linking areas in which animals lived to both climate warming and human isolation. How can this strengthen my argument?

Quote:
(D) In some areas of Europe, only a few archaeological sites have yielded evidence that shows an overlap between the arrival of humans and the extinction of large animals
ONLY word catches my eye and makes this choice incorrect.

Quote:
(E) Some large animals had become extinct in Europe even before humans migrated there.

Nope, this breaks the connection between extinction and humans migration.
Incorrect.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 19:51
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma

Please help in my PoE.

Conclusion: It was human migration and not climatic change that precipitated (caused) the extinctions of large animal species.

(y)humans moved from one place to another because of climate changes (more specifically climate becoming warmer) but animals stayed at that place only and became extinct because of climate warming (my assumption)

The main question stem, though takes a different stance. It says :
It was human migrations and not climate warming that caused extinctions

I need an answer choice that makes above conclusion more believable.

Quote:

I need to LINK human migrations with extinctions, not beak the link.
This if at all weaken the conclusion.

Quote:

This makes me think climate warming caused extinctions of animal species, not human migrations. I am looking for other way round.

Quote:

Here first THAT refers to animal species and second and third THAT refer to AREAS. Now I am linking areas in which animals lived to both climate warming and human isolation. How can this strengthen my argument?

Quote:
(D) In some areas of Europe, only a few archaeological sites have yielded evidence that shows an overlap between the arrival of humans and the extinction of large animals
ONLY word catches my eye and makes this choice incorrect.

Quote:

Nope, this breaks the connection between extinction and humans migration.
Incorrect.

Quote:
(D) In some areas of Europe, only a few archaeological sites have yielded evidence that shows an overlap between the arrival of humans and the extinction of large animals.

First of all, (D) is only talking about SOME areas of Europe. Regardless, (D) only tells us that there is some evidence of an OVERLAP. We already know from the passage that there was an overlap. We need evidence that human migration CAUSED the extinctions. (D) doesn't help us.

Quote:

Let's compare two areas in Europe:

• Area A experienced climatic warming and the arrival of humans.
  • Area B experienced climatic warming but NO arrival of humans (i.e. Area B was isolated from human populations).

Both areas had large animal species. Choice (C) tells us that many of the animals that became extinct in places like Area A survived LONGER in places like Area B. Both areas had climatic warming, but only Area A had humans. This evidence suggests that it was the humans, not the climatic warming, that caused the extinctions.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Re: In Europe, many large animal species, such as mammoths, became extinct   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2018, 19:51

In Europe, many large animal species, such as mammoths, became extinct

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap