Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 20:45 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 20:45
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 245 [85]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2602 [35]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31273 [9]
Given Kudos: 641
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 245 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: In her 1851 magazine series, later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom [#permalink]
Bookmarks
KyleWiddison wrote:
akashaggarwal88 wrote:
In her 1851 magazine series, later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause.

1. later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause
2. which would later become the famous novel Uncle Tom’s cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe’s mission was to portray the impact of slavery further, and the abolitionist cause
3. which would later become the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause
4. later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe’s mission was to portray the impact of slavery, furthering the abolitionist cause
5. which had later become the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause

This question is heavy on the modifiers...

The first issue involves the phrase 'in her 1851 magazine series'. That phrase is meant to modify Harriet Beacher Stowe, but in choices B and D the phrase is incorrectly modifying her 'mission' and not Stowe herself.

The second modifier issue is whether to start the next modifying phrase (the part in commas) with 'later becoming' or 'which'. When you start the modifier with 'later becoming' it is unclear exactly what you are modifiying - the series, her, the entire previous section - but when you start with 'which' you can only be modifying the preceding noun - her 'magazine series'. We want to modify the 'series', so we can eliminate A.

That leaves C and E, but E incorrectly uses the past perfect tense 'had become', so we are left with C.

KW

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the explanation. OA is C. I chose E as the answer. Could you please tell me what is the problem in E, how "had become" is an issue ??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: In her 1851 magazine series, later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Out of given choices C is best. Since we cannot use past perfect when the actual verb sought is in simple past.

However, I am not convinced with usage of "would later become" in C......
Own Kudos [?]: 2602 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
akashaggarwal88 wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:
akashaggarwal88 wrote:
In her 1851 magazine series, later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause.

1. later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause
2. which would later become the famous novel Uncle Tom’s cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe’s mission was to portray the impact of slavery further, and the abolitionist cause
3. which would later become the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause
4. later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe’s mission was to portray the impact of slavery, furthering the abolitionist cause
5. which had later become the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause

The first issue involves the phrase 'in her 1851 magazine series'. That phrase is meant to modify Harriet Beacher Stowe, but in choices B and D the phrase is incorrectly modifying her 'mission' and not Stowe herself.

The second modifier issue is whether to start the next modifying phrase (the part in commas) with 'later becoming' or 'which'. When you start the modifier with 'later becoming' it is unclear exactly what you are modifiying - the series, her, the entire previous section - but when you start with 'which' you can only be modifying the preceding noun - her 'magazine series'. We want to modify the 'series', so we can eliminate A.

That leaves C and E, but E incorrectly uses the past perfect tense 'had become', so we are left with C.

KW

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the explanation. OA is C. I chose E as the answer. Could you please tell me what is the problem in E, how "had become" is an issue ??

The past perfect tense is used to show the EARLIER of two events that both took place in the past [I had already eaten before I arrived at the party.]. The use of past perfect here (had become) is clearly incorrect in answer choice E because 'becoming famous' was the later event not the earlier event (had LATER become). The GMAT will sometimes include these time reference clues in the text to show incorrect uses of past perfect.

KW
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
sdas wrote:
Out of given choices C is best. Since we cannot use past perfect when the actual verb sought is in simple past.

Hi sdas,

Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin was a magazine till in 1851. But later, it became a famous novel by the same name. So from the point of 1851, the magazine series turning into a novel is a future event. But the main tense of this sentence is past tense because all the information here pertains to the past. That is the reason why, the correct answer choice C uses the expression "which would later become".

This is a common usage in English language.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks for your response Shraddha.
Still I have a doubt, with reference to 1851 the event of renaming the magazine is definitely a future event - using future tense, but overall sentence construction - both events are in past, then why would we need a future tense, only with reference to one event? Does it not distort the meaning? Instead can we not use past perfect (though it is not in the option, yet for my understanding)?

Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 31273 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sdas,

I understand your point. The sentence can be written correctly using just the simple past tense as "which later became...". But again, we are not the author of the sentence. :-)
The author has chose to write this sentence this way. And, this is the grammatical way of using the verb. If you watch documentaries, you will come across such narrations.

From the GMAT point, we need to choose the best possible answer choice. And C is that answer choice.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Own Kudos [?]: 2602 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sdas wrote:
egmat wrote:
sdas wrote:

Hi sdas,

Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin was a magazine till in 1851. But later, it became a famous novel by the same name. So from the point of 1851, the magazine series turning into a novel is a future event. But the main tense of this sentence is past tense because all the information here pertains to the past. That is the reason why, the correct answer choice C uses the expression "which would later become".

This is a common usage in English language.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks for your response Shraddha.
Still I have a doubt, with reference to 1851 the event of renaming the magazine is definitely a future event - using future tense, but overall sentence construction - both events are in past, then why would we need a future tense, only with reference to one event? Does it not distort the meaning? Instead can we not use past perfect (though it is not in the option, yet for my understanding)?

Thanks

'Would' is not the future tense, it's actually the Conditional tense. One of the uses of the conditional tense is to express the future as seen from the past [He said he would eat all the food]. That's exactly the situation we have here where the sentence is in the past but looking forward to a future event.

KW
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4647 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
In her 1851 magazine series,

I think 2 and 3 both are good contenders, here possessive pronoun her goes well with both Harriet Beecher Stowe’s mission and Harriet Beecher Stowe. I hope we can apply possessive poison rule to clear that ambiguous considered reference.

Therefore I need alternate reason to select correct between option 2 and 3.
Own Kudos [?]: 2602 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
PiyushK wrote:

I think 2 and 3 both are good contenders, here possessive pronoun her goes well with both Harriet Beecher Stowe’s mission and Harriet Beecher Stowe. I hope we can apply possessive poison rule to clear that ambiguous considered reference.

There are a few issues with the last part of option 2: "to portray the impact of slavery further, and the abolitionist cause". First a small issue - the comma is used incorrectly because you only have 2 items you are dealing with. There is a real problem has to do with Parallelism - "to portray" and "the abolitionist cause" are not parallel. There is also a meaning issue with "further". The correct meaning for the sentence is to say that Stowe furthered the abolitionist cause, not that she portrayed slavery further.

KW
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4647 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
PiyushK wrote:

There are a few issues with the last part of option 2: "to portray the impact of slavery further, and the abolitionist cause". First a small issue - the comma is used incorrectly because you only have 2 items you are dealing with. There is a real problem has to do with Parallelism - "to portray" and "the abolitionist cause" are not parallel. There is also a meaning issue with "further". The correct meaning for the sentence is to say that Stowe furthered the abolitionist cause, not that she portrayed slavery further.

KW

Thanks Kyle, Earlier I missed that parallelism and verb issue. I was not aware that further is acting as a verb.
All clear !!
Own Kudos [?]: 2602 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
That further piece is very tricky. That is a good little trick there by using the same word in two different ways: a verb or a modifier. When you see a word change places in the sentence, look to see if that change impacts the meaning of the sentence. Sometimes a small change in location can make a big difference.

KW
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
E-gmat,

The first part In her 1851 magazine series is prepositional phrase. prepositional phrase doesn't contain subject. how second part, later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin---- modifier, modifies the first part.

option C, which would later become the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause

here, which would later become the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin is a dependent clause, whereas Harriet Beecher Stowe sought to portray the impact of slavery and further the abolitionist cause is independent clause.

My problem is how second part of option C is correct with respect to second part of option A.

Please help.

egmat wrote:
Hi sdas,

I understand your point. The sentence can be written correctly using just the simple past tense as "which later became...". But again, we are not the author of the sentence. :-)
The author has chose to write this sentence this way. And, this is the grammatical way of using the verb. If you watch documentaries, you will come across such narrations.

From the GMAT point, we need to choose the best possible answer choice. And C is that answer choice.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
sun01 wrote:
E-gmat,

The first part In her 1851 magazine series is prepositional phrase. prepositional phrase doesn't contain subject. how second part, later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin---- modifier, modifies the first part.

Thanks.
Shraddha

So, the modifier cannot modify another modifier?
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
In this case, using 2 SUCH modifiers (Prepositional Phrase and Noun/Verb modifier - ing form) doesn't bring clarity in meaning. "Who" is modifying "What"... So, in this case, this situation brings ambiguity and is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
AryamaDuttaSaikia wrote:
In this case, using 2 SUCH modifiers (Prepositional Phrase and Noun/Verb modifier - ing form) doesn't bring clarity in meaning. "Who" is modifying "What"... So, in this case, this situation brings ambiguity and is incorrect.

Hi Aryama,

I think its very clear (at least to me) that "later becoming the famous novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin" modifies "her magazine series" because logically it cannot modify anything else. However, I don't know if this is grammatically possible since in this situation we will have a -ing form modifying a prepositional phrase. Could you please shed some light in this issue?
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Logically (Meaningwise) - "later becoming" can modify magazine series or In her magazine series - Ambiguous

Technically - "later becoming" is verbing modifier after comma. In this respect (apart from modifying the entire previous clause) , the modifier needs to match with the subject and we know that there is no subject in the prepositional phrase. So, ambiguous.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
akashaggarwal88 wrote:

KW

Hi Kyle-
I am also aligned with Option C. However, I have a query. In option C, is the use of "would" is correct?? Won't it changes the meaning of the sentence (little bit) as originally stated in the question stem?? conveyed the same statement as more like a "possibility"

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chanakya
Own Kudos [?]: 2602 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
chanakya84 wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:
akashaggarwal88 wrote:

KW

Hi Kyle-
I am also aligned with Option C. However, I have a query. In option C, is the use of "would" is correct?? Won't it changes the meaning of the sentence (little bit) as originally stated in the question stem?? conveyed the same statement as more like a "possibility"

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chanakya

This is a good point you bring up. The issue of "intent" is tricky one sentence correction. It's tempting to pull from the original sentence for the intent, but you have to keep in mind that the original sentence is only 1 of 5 different choices but it happens to appear first. The meaning that we do have to "maintain" is from the non-underlined portion of the sentence. Any correct answer will need to have proper meaning when combined with the non-underlined portion of the sentence. In this question, the non-underlined portion is simply "In her 1851 magazine series" and so there really isn't much meaning to maintain there. The use of "would" has perfectly logical meaning with the non-underlined portion so we are fine to keep it as our answer.

KW
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts