GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 01:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In isosceles triangle RST what is the measure of angle R?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
In isosceles triangle RST what is the measure of angle R?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2010, 22:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (00:50) correct 24% (00:53) wrong based on 953 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

(1) The measure of angle T is 100 degrees.

(2) The measure of angle S is 40 degrees.

After looking at this again, how come it can't be
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: In isosceles triangle RST what is the measure of angle R?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2012, 09:45

Triangle RST is isosceles means that two of its angles are equal.

(1) The measure of angle T is 100 degrees --> since no other angle can be equal to 100 degrees (because in this case the sum of the angles will be more than 180 degrees) then the other two angles, R and S, are equal: R=(180-100)/2=40. Sufficient.

(2) The measure of angle S is 40 degrees --> consider two cases: S=R=40 and T=100 AND S=40 and R=T=70. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Community Reply
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2010, 11:00
gmatgg,

This is a fairly one simple one that you should spend no more than 30 seconds on.

The keyword is "isosceles"---which means 2 sides are the same and also...2 angles are the same

With statement (1), you are told measure of angle T is 100 degrees. You already know an entire triangle = 180 degrees.

So either one of the other angles also equals 100 degrees, or the other two angles not mentioned are equivalent.

Well, it's impossible for one of the other angles to also be 100 degrees, because that would exceed that total of 180 degrees possible in a triangle.

So the only choice that makes sense is to have the other two angles equal and everything adds to 180.

In other words, the other 2 angles combined must equal the difference between 180 and 100.
Mathematically, 180 - 100 = 80 and then divide that by 2 to get 40 degrees.

So (1) by itself is good enough.

Statement (2) is just telling us that one angle is 40 degrees. Well, what possibilities are there? You could have one 40 degrees and then the other two angles are equivalent and all 3 add up to 180. OR you can have another angle that is also 40 degrees and the third angle would add up to 180.
In other words, you'd have two possibilities:

1) 40 - 70 - 70 (adds up to 180)
or 2) 40 - 40 - 100 (also adds up to 180)

Since you have MULTIPLE possibilities with statement (2), then you do not have enough information to definitively say what the answer is. So Statement (2) is not good enough.

With (1) good and (2) no good, answer is (A).

Hope that helps.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Aug 2013, 03:25

How come statemen1 is correct and not C?

Is it because of if one angle is 100 then others have to be 40 and 40 as the triangle is isoceles.

But then if that's the case why statement 2 is not sufficient?

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610
GMAT ==> 730

Originally posted by enigma123 on 20 Mar 2012, 09:16.
Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Aug 2013, 03:25, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2013, 03:31
enigma123 wrote:

How come statemen1 is correct and not C?

Is it because of if one angle is 100 then others have to be 40 and 40 as the triangle is isoceles.

But then if that's the case why statement 2 is not sufficient?

IN ISOCELES TRIANGLE ANGLES ARE ALWAYS. X,X,(180-2X)

CLEARLY X CANT BE equal to 100 because in that case sum of angle will exceed 180 degrees
therefore 180-2X = 100. CLEARLY X=40
SUFFICIENT.

IF X CAN BE 40 OR 180-2X CAN BE 40
WE ARE GETTING 2 DIFFERENT VALUES OF X.
HENCE INSUFFICIENT.

HENCE A

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2014, 08:34
I had this question today when I was doing a practice exam on the GMAT Prep software. And I was confused, as I have read on several occasions that the symbol of a triangle (that mini-triangle in front of RST) means that the R starts in the lower corner, S on top and T on the left. When I saw the first option, I assumed that T would be the opposite of R, which was mathematically impossible (2 angles of 100 in a triangle).

But I can conclude now that the order of letters in the description of a triangle, have no meaning at all?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2014, 17:28
Saabs wrote:
I had this question today when I was doing a practice exam on the GMAT Prep software. And I was confused, as I have read on several occasions that the symbol of a triangle (that mini-triangle in front of RST) means that the R starts in the lower corner, S on top and T on the left. When I saw the first option, I assumed that T would be the opposite of R, which was mathematically impossible (2 angles of 100 in a triangle).

But I can conclude now that the order of letters in the description of a triangle, have no meaning at all?

I don't think it matters at all in this case what the position of the letters are, since in an isosceles triangle two of the angles are identical.

Statement 1: If T (which is not R) = 100, then the other two must be equal to (180-100)/2 = 40.

In Statement 2: if the measure of angle s = 40, piggybacking off Statement 1 (but not using it), you know that the three angles COULD be 100, 40, 40. If S = 40, then R can be either 40 or 100. And therefore, this statement is not sufficient.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 18:32
Given the isosceles triangle as attached, I don't understand why statement 2 as well is insufficient.
If we know S = 40 degrees and the whole triangle is 180 and it is an isosceles can't we use the following formula:
180 = 40 + 2*R
140 = 2*R
70 = R = T

Why can't we use this information?
Many Thanks,
Attachments

iscoceles triangle.png
iscoceles triangle.png [ 60.46 KiB | Viewed 57267 times ]

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In Isosceles triangle RST, What is the measure of Angle R  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 19:49
Statement 2 is insufficient because Angle S can be either the base or the isosceles sides

If Angle S is the base,
\(180=40+2*R\)
\(140=2*R\)
\(70=R=T\)

If Angle S is the one of the isosceles sides,
\(180=B+2*40\)
\(180=B+80\)
\(100=B\)

Statement 1 is sufficient because 100 degrees cannot be an isosceles side since it would be beyond the 180 degree restriction for a triangle.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 04:04
HI,

Thanks a lot for the reply! That is very useful.
So I suppose for 2, we cannot assume that S is the adjacent angle to two isosceles angles? As this is what I did and I thought that it was sufficient.

Thanks a lot again,

Really appreciate it!

Bunuel wrote:

(1) The measure of angle T is 100 degrees --> since no other angle can be equal to 100 degrees (because in this case the sum of the angles will be more than 180 degrees) then the other two angles, R and S, are equal: R=(180-100)/2=40. Sufficient.

(2) The measure of angle S is 40 degrees --> consider two cases: S=R=40 and T=100 AND S=40 and R=T=70. Not sufficient.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 04:19
Yela wrote:
HI,

Thanks a lot for the reply! That is very useful.
So I suppose for 2, we cannot assume that S is the adjacent angle to two isosceles angles? As this is what I did and I thought that it was sufficient.

Thanks a lot again,

Really appreciate it!

Bunuel wrote:

Yes, from (2) we cannot assume that S is one of the two angles that are equal.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2014, 05:54
I have a general question: The order of the letters after the sign of the triangle, here <RST, does not give any indication of the order of the angles?
Sorry I don't know how to insert the proper angle sign.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 07:03
lou34 wrote:
I have a general question: The order of the letters after the sign of the triangle, here <RST, does not give any indication of the order of the angles?
Sorry I don't know how to insert the proper angle sign.

Order of letters for a triangle does not matter. Triangles RST, RTS, STR, ... are all the same.

As for other polygons (quadrilaterals, pentagons, ...): here order of the letters is important meaning that rectangle ABCD (diagonals here are AC and BD) is different from rectangle ACBD (diagonals here are AB and CD). Usually OG uses sequential (ABCDE...) labeling. Also, most of the times the labeling is clockwise but I wouldn't worry about it because if a diagram is not given then this won't be important (meaning that you can consider it clockwise as well as counter-clockwise).

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 07:32
Ans A.

1) Since it is isosceles, it can´t have 2 100° angles, it must be the odd one and the other 2 angles should be (180 - 100)/2 = 40° each

2) Insufficient since there could be 2 40° angles or there could be 2 70° angles and 1 40°

Hope it helps!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2014, 05:53
Hi there, I'm actually wondering (or pointing out) if/that there might be a U.S vs. Europe (or country specific?) definition issue here, because I found that we were allowed to assume triangle RST with S being the "top" angle, and letters always going clockwise and thereby this could be solved assuming statement two as well. Similar problems have occured with, for example, GMAT statement "can this information be inferred", wheras my inital translation/interpretation was that it doesn't matter if the statement is true, only that you can answer the question (it is possible to answer). Questions like these are common to us. Then I quickly realized that the GMAT wants you to also take into consideration if the statement is true. So just as a comment, for us non-Americans, there can be som issues with definitions, or assumptions we make / have been allowed to make, that are not allowed according to U.S standards/GMAT standards.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 12:31
Easy peasy! Answer choice A. Took me about 30sec.

statement A: sufficient
An isosceles triangle cannot have 2 interior angles equal to 100 degrees so Angle T must be the largest interior angle. Each of the other angles will be equal to each other and also add up to 80 degrees. Therefore, R and S are each 40 degrees.

Statement B: insufficient
If S is 40 degrees, R could be 40 or R could be 70.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2014, 06:14
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel

How can S=R=40 because that would take it out of the triangle definition isnt it? Sum of two smaller sides wont be greater than the longest side so can it be a valid scenario? Does this rule only apply to sides measure and not angles in a triangle?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2014, 08:06
sinhap07 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel

How can S=R=40 because that would take it out of the triangle definition isnt it? Sum of two smaller sides wont be greater than the longest side so can it be a valid scenario? Does this rule only apply to sides measure and not angles in a triangle?

Yes, the rule is about the lengths of the sides.

The length of any side of a triangle must be larger than the positive difference of the other two sides, but smaller than the sum of the other two sides.

For the angles of a triangle we have that their sum must be 180 degrees.

Check for more here: math-triangles-87197.html

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2015, 09:06
Isosceles triangle
=> 2 equal angles and 1 unequal angle.

(1) says that T is 100. This clearly means that T is the unequal angle, because there cannot be another equal angle of 100 degrees (since sum of 3 angles is 180).

So, we know that T = 100
=> R=S=40

Sufficient.

(2) says that S = 40

Here, two cases are possible
Case 1: S is one of the 2 equal angles
=> One other angle is 40 and the third angle is 100. But which of these is R, we don't know.

Case 2: S is the unequal angle
=> The other two angles (R and T) are 70 each.

So, in Case 1, we see that we don't know the value of R.

Hence, insufficient.

So, A.
CEO
CEO
D

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 15:09
Top Contributor
gmatgg wrote:

IMPORTANT: In an isosceles triangle there are 2 IDENTICAL angles, and 1 LONE angle.

Target question: What is measure of ∠R?

Statement 1: ∠T = 100 degrees
We should recognize that ∠T CANNOT be one of the identical angles. If this were the case, we'd have two angles with measures of 100 degrees each, which would result in a triangle in which the sum of the angles is GREATER than 180 degree (which is IMPOSSIBLE)
So, we can conclude that ∠T must be the LONE angle, which means ∠R and ∠S are the two IDENTICAL angles.
Since the sum of the 3 angles must be 180, we can conclude that ∠R = 40, ∠S = 40, and ∠T = 100
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: ∠S = 40 degrees
Here are two possible cases to consider:
Case a: ∠S is the LONE angle, in which case the ∠R = 70, ∠S = 40, and ∠T = 70
Case b: ∠S is one of the IDENTICAL angles, in which case we could have ∠R = 40, ∠S = 40, and ∠T = 100
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer = A

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Hanneson – GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: In isosceles triangle RST what is the measure of angle R? &nbs [#permalink] 19 Apr 2018, 15:09

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap