It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 02:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA (https://www.facebook.com/entermba)

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 4

GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
CAT Tests
Re: In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 22:31
"Such as, 'X is doing great and it will continue to do so'. Is this an acceptable sentence at GMAT?"
Yes, absolutely.

--Prasad
EnterMBA

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3518 [2], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Comma + present participle modifier is used to refer to the complete preceding clause - the modifier describes the result of the preceding clause or explains how the action in the preceding clause is done. Here the present participle "selling nearly...." is required to describe how Argentina became the leading exporter. Thus option D and E are left. IN option D the pronoun "It" does not a valid antecedent. Hence E is the best option among the given.

However in option E, the prepositional phrase "with almost half going.." refers in turn to the present participle modifier "selling..." - such usage is generally considered awkward in GMAT. A better, more GMAT-like construction would be:

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, selling to foreign markets nearly 90,000 tons a year, half going to United States.

OR

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, selling to foreign markets nearly 90,000 tons a year, half of them going to United States.

OR

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, selling to foreign markets nearly 90,000 tons a year, half of which went to United States.

The above three alternatives show the correct usage of three different forms of subgroup modifier (referring to "90,000 tons").

Kudos [?]: 3518 [2], given: 22

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 200

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 15:28
GMATmission wrote:
In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the United States.

A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going
of which refers to foreign markets - illogical - out.

B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes
with the sale - i don't like the wording...much more appropriately would be an ing modifier to show the results/effects...
it - dubious pronoun

C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going
it - doesn't have a clear antecedent.

D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes
IT doesn't have a clear antecedent so not good.

E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going
looks good

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 200

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 53

Schools: Insead Sept '17
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.7
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 02:03
daagh wrote:
The root cause of the problem is the use of the pronouns without proper antecedence wherever they appear.

In choice A what does the pronoun which stand for? Whether it is 90000 tons or foreign markets, we can not tell for sure.

In B, C and D half of it - what does it refer to? Obviously it can not refer to the plural 90,000 tons or the foreign markets. If so, is it the distantly placed sale or the subject of the main clause i.e. Argentina? The pronoun reference is ambiguous

That is why E is the best choice without the pronoun trap.

But - Half seems to denote the fraction half as opposed to "half of something" - Am I missing something? Or is it the case of of all the sentences, this is the best one - So its a compromised correct answer?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 53

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 03:08
Hello GMATNinja egmat

Can you explain the structure of the sentence in Option E?

It it - Prepositional Phrase, Independent Clause, modifier, modifier

The last modifier that begins with "with" , what is it modifying? Also is it okay when we have two modifiers back to back?

Please help. Thanks

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 176

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9290 [1], given: 341

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 03:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja egmat

Can you explain the structure of the sentence in Option E?

It it - Prepositional Phrase, Independent Clause, modifier, modifier

The last modifier that begins with "with" , what is it modifying? Also is it okay when we have two modifiers back to back?

Please help. Thanks

Hello pikolo2510,

Thank you for the query. I would be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Let's take a look at the sentence with the correct answer choice E:

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going to the United States.

The sentence starts with the prepositional phrase that describes the time frame in which Argentina has become the word's leading exporter of honey. So the opening prepositional phrase modifies the action of the main clause.

Since selling nearly 90,000 tons... is a comma + verb-ing modifier, is modifies the preceding action has become.

Now, the last modifier is again a prepositional phrase modifier that modifies the action denoted by selling.... It further describes that half of the sales goes to the US.

Yes, the usage of back to back modifiers is correct as long as each modifier clearly modifies the entity it is supposed to modify. This official sentence is the classic example of such usage.

All the modifiers clearly modify the entity they are supposed to modify and hence, present the intended meaning with no ambiguity at all.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9290 [1], given: 341

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9290 [0], given: 341

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 04:30
TheGMATcracker wrote:
But - Half seems to denote the fraction half as opposed to "half of something" - Am I missing something? Or is it the case of of all the sentences, this is the best one - So its a compromised correct answer?

Hello TheGMATcracker,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt. Nonetheless, here is the explanation. :-)

We need to pay attention to what the sentence intends to say.

The sentence says that Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets. Now half of this nearly 90,000 tons of honey is sold to the US.

So yes, half has been used to show the fraction of the total sales mentioned in the sentence.

IMHO, options A, B, and C are incorrect for the usage of with modifier in the beginning of each choice as the phrase fails to connect logically with the main action. Usage of this modifier seems to suggest that Argentina has become something along with some other action taking place.

Choice D is incorrect because singular it cannot refer to plural nearly 90,000 tons.

Choice E is the correct answer as it clearly presents the intended meaning.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 17:44
egmat wrote:
TheGMATcracker wrote:

Hello TheGMATcracker,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt. Nonetheless, here is the explanation. :-)

We need to pay attention to what the sentence intends to say.

The sentence says that Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets. Now half of this nearly 90,000 tons of honey is sold to the US.

So yes, half has been used to show the fraction of the total sales mentioned in the sentence.

IMHO, options A, B, and C are incorrect for the usage of with modifier in the beginning of each choice as the phrase fails to connect logically with the main action. Usage of this modifier seems to suggest that Argentina has become something along with some other action taking place.

Choice D is incorrect because singular it cannot refer to plural nearly 90,000 tons.

Choice E is the correct answer as it clearly presents the intended meaning.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha egmat

Would you help me with these questions?

1) Please correct me if I'm wrong, can 'it' refer to honey in choice D? I discarded D because goes should be has gone, is this reasoning correct?.
2) is going parallel to selling in choice E? Many people have said that, but they are on different modifier phrases, taking different functions and not part of a list, so I can't see how they are parallel.

Kind regards,
Cristián

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 364

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 21:31
duttarupam wrote:
In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the United States.

(A) with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going

(B) with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes

(C) with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going

(D) selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes

(E) selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going

A suffer a serious problem. 'which" must be in a sentence. "which " can be subject, object , adverb in the independent sentence. but "which" must be in a sentence. there must be a sentence for "which' to be in.

i like the gmat test , which is hard

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 364

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 11:19
CristianJuarez wrote:
Hi Shraddha egmat

Would you help me with these questions?

1) Please correct me if I'm wrong, can 'it' refer to honey in choice D? I discarded D because goes should be has gone, is this reasoning correct?.
2) is going parallel to selling in choice E? Many people have said that, but they are on different modifier phrases, taking different functions and not part of a list, so I can't see how they are parallel.

Kind regards,
Cristián

Hello @Cristián CristianJuarez

Thank you for your post. I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

1) Pay very close attention to context of the sentence. The sentence states how Argentina has become the word's leading exporter of honey. In the description, the sentence mentions a specific amount and then says that half goes to the US.

So the sentence presents an instance in relevance of which it mentions the US. So logically, it must refer to 90,000 tons and not just honey.

I am afraid your reason to reject Choice D is not correct. It is a general fact that the US imports almost half of the quantity of the honey exported by Argentina. Hence, use of simple present tense verb goes is correct in Choice D.

2) You are correct in your understanding about the usage of selling and going in Choice E. They are NOT parallel as there is no parallel marker between them. The with modifier is just the extension of the information provided in the comma + selling modifier.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Re: In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2017, 11:19

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 50 posts ] 

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap