Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [237]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [99]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63665 [56]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [16]
Given Kudos: 260
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the United States.

A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going

B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes

C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going

D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes

E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going

A. 'half of which' should be followed by a working verb rather than a participial

B. 'that' is redundant. There is no need to make make the last part parallel to the main clause

C. Two with that followe each other are awkward. The structure after second 'with' is what GMAT doesn't like: preposition + noun + participial. 'markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year' changes the intended meaning.

D. it has no logical referent! Again it not necessary to make the main clause and last part parallel, as they are not of the same importance

E. Correct!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [10]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Re: In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading [#permalink]
Kudos
'with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going' is the detail on how Argentina has become the leader.

Sentence is written in the present perfect tense.

A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going. 'Sold' in the past tense doesn't coincide with the tense used in the sentence.

B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes 'almost half of it' is a fragment

C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going 'with almost half of it going' is not connected with proper conjunction with th previous sentence

D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes. Argentina has become leader by doing something. -ing is needed rather then simple present 'goes'

E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going selling and going are parallel.

D is the answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [18]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIMA (D)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi Expert,

I have a query in this question from GMAT Prep - Practice Exam 3.

Question

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going to the United States.
A. with nearly 90,000 tons a year sold to foreign markets, almost half of which going
B. with the sale of nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it that goes
C. with the sale to foreign markets of nearly 90,000 tons a year, with almost half of it going
D. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, and almost half of it goes
E. selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going

My Analysis

Meaning - Argentina has become the leading exporter by selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets. Half of the honey exported goes to US.

It should be a verb+ing modifier because it tells how Argentina has become leading exporter.

So A,B,C are eliminated.

Option choice D - Sentence Structure - Independent Clause, Modifier and Independent Clause
Meaning of the sentence implies half of the (honey exported) goes to US. So there is no Logical Antecedent for it.
So D is eliminated.

Option choice E is the correct answer.

I had difficulty in understanding the meaning of correct answer choice E.

with almost half going to US
. This is a prepositional phrase modifier. What this modifier is modifying?

I face difficulty in solving the problems with sentence Structure as below:
Independent Clause, First Modifier, Second Modifier.

But GMAT loves to load a sentence with modifiers, so I should also start loving it :) .

I have come across three sentences from official sources with such sentence structure.

1. Source GMAT prep - Practice Exam 3 - First as mentioned above

2. Source GMAT prep - In the past several years, astronomers have detected more than 80 massive planets, most of them at least as large as Jupiter, circling other stars. In this sentence the modifier circling other stars modifies 80 massive planets.

3. Source mba.com - GMAT practice question of the day - Executives and federal officials say that the use of crack and cocaine is growing rapidly among workers, significantly compounding the effects of drug and alcohol abuse, which already cost business more than $100 billion a year. Relative pronoun modifier which already cost business more than $100 billion a year modifies the effects.

Now I tried to understand the role played by Second modifier in all the thee sentences. My understanding is as below:

1. Kindly help me understand what does prepositional phrase modifies?

2. Second modifier modifies the noun in the clause

3. Second modifier modifies the noun in the First modifier

Is there any general rule or method to deal with questions with sentence structure as Independent Clause, First Modifier, Second Modifier. or it is only question specific?

Thanks

Sahil
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
Sorry for going off topic, but is it OK to use predicates with different verb form for the same subject using AND?
Such as, 'X is doing great and it will continue to do so'. Is this an acceptable sentence at GMAT?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
But - Half seems to denote the fraction half as opposed to "half of something" - Am I missing something? Or is it the case of of all the sentences, this is the best one - So its a compromised correct answer?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello GMATNinja egmat

Can you explain the structure of the sentence in Option E?

It it - Prepositional Phrase, Independent Clause, modifier, modifier

The last modifier that begins with "with" , what is it modifying? Also is it okay when we have two modifiers back to back?

Please help. Thanks
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [13]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja egmat

Can you explain the structure of the sentence in Option E?

It it - Prepositional Phrase, Independent Clause, modifier, modifier

The last modifier that begins with "with" , what is it modifying? Also is it okay when we have two modifiers back to back?

Please help. Thanks

Hello pikolo2510,

Thank you for the query. I would be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Let's take a look at the sentence with the correct answer choice E:

In little more than a decade, Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets, with almost half going to the United States.

The sentence starts with the prepositional phrase that describes the time frame in which Argentina has become the word's leading exporter of honey. So the opening prepositional phrase modifies the action of the main clause.

Since selling nearly 90,000 tons... is a comma + verb-ing modifier, is modifies the preceding action has become.

Now, the last modifier is again a prepositional phrase modifier that modifies the action denoted by selling.... It further describes that half of the sales goes to the US.

Yes, the usage of back to back modifiers is correct as long as each modifier clearly modifies the entity it is supposed to modify. This official sentence is the classic example of such usage.

All the modifiers clearly modify the entity they are supposed to modify and hence, present the intended meaning with no ambiguity at all.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TheGMATcracker wrote:
But - Half seems to denote the fraction half as opposed to "half of something" - Am I missing something? Or is it the case of of all the sentences, this is the best one - So its a compromised correct answer?

Hello TheGMATcracker,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt. Nonetheless, here is the explanation. :-)

We need to pay attention to what the sentence intends to say.

The sentence says that Argentina has become the world’s leading exporter of honey, selling nearly 90,000 tons a year to foreign markets. Now half of this nearly 90,000 tons of honey is sold to the US.

So yes, half has been used to show the fraction of the total sales mentioned in the sentence.

IMHO, options A, B, and C are incorrect for the usage of with modifier in the beginning of each choice as the phrase fails to connect logically with the main action. Usage of this modifier seems to suggest that Argentina has become something along with some other action taking place.

Choice D is incorrect because singular it cannot refer to plural nearly 90,000 tons.

Choice E is the correct answer as it clearly presents the intended meaning.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: Fuqua '25
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Would you help me with these questions?

1) Please correct me if I'm wrong, can 'it' refer to honey in choice D? I discarded D because goes should be has gone, is this reasoning correct?.
2) is going parallel to selling in choice E? Many people have said that, but they are on different modifier phrases, taking different functions and not part of a list, so I can't see how they are parallel.

Kind regards,
Cristián
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [3]
Send PM
Kudos