Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 549 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE:Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GRE 1: Q168 V158
GPA: 2.47
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: In need of assistance regarding my MBA path.... [#permalink]
ipaq101 wrote:
I think that even if you were to get 700+ it wouldn't be enough to overcome such a low gpa, even if you went to a top university, a 2.4 GPA shows that you barely tried. I know people who got over 700 on the gmat and had a 2.7 GPA and got denied admission.

With that said the best thing for you would be to go to recruiting events and get to know the adcoms so they know your story. You have to have solid essays and write a compelling story as to why an MBA would help you. Not being in accounting isn't a great reason alone.

Also take some classes at a community college to boost that GPA, even 3-4 classes with an A will put you in the right direction. If you don't have time, then make time, that is your best shot.

Sorry to sound harsh, but if I were in your situation those are the things I would do.

If you do them, it shows adcoms that you are committed, good luck!

But there are people that have just a slightly better GPA and were admitted to McCombs.

Im sorry but college was a very long time ago, and one semester of a .57 GPA made it nearly impossible to get anything above what I got. And that was one freaking semester.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
You can overcome the low GPA and there are threads dedicated to that (here is one example: low-gpa-what-you-can-do-144002.html

The reality is that you will have to do an extra step as compared to someone with a 3.5 (average for top 20)
1. Explain why you had it a low GPA and why that is not you today
2. Demonstrate why it is not you today

P.S. The reason GPA is important is that it is a long-run projection of your performance. It is possible to fake essays, LOR's, and even prep for an interview, but faking GPA is not easy and it reflects the "true" though outdated nature of the invidual.

You can do it but will take 2 extra steps. Other suggestions were good as well. I have not thought about coming out and meeting the adcom and establishing a relationship - that's a good idea. I would also run your plan for "fixing" your low GPA by them and ask them if that has validity for them and if they would have any other recommendations.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yea, I have been thinking about taking a couple classes through California's online program.

And I was always planning to write an extra essay to at least elaborate on my low gpa.

I am going to an event at Rice in a couple of weeks.

Past always comes bacteria to haunt you, does it not.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
hfbamafan wrote:
Yea, I have been thinking about taking a couple classes through California's online program.

And I was always planning to write an extra essay to at least elaborate on my low gpa.

I am going to an event at Rice in a couple of weeks.

Past always comes bacteria to haunt you, does it not.

Rice has a great program! You should definitely stop by and show your commitment. As to the past - it depends. Slightly different perspective here - It seems that a certain amount of "blood" or payment is required by life. You can pay it right away or it will haunt you to collect it later with interest ;-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
hfbamafan wrote:
ipaq101 wrote:
I think that even if you were to get 700+ it wouldn't be enough to overcome such a low gpa, even if you went to a top university, a 2.4 GPA shows that you barely tried. I know people who got over 700 on the gmat and had a 2.7 GPA and got denied admission.

With that said the best thing for you would be to go to recruiting events and get to know the adcoms so they know your story. You have to have solid essays and write a compelling story as to why an MBA would help you. Not being in accounting isn't a great reason alone.

Also take some classes at a community college to boost that GPA, even 3-4 classes with an A will put you in the right direction. If you don't have time, then make time, that is your best shot.

Sorry to sound harsh, but if I were in your situation those are the things I would do.

If you do them, it shows adcoms that you are committed, good luck!

But there are people that have just a slightly better GPA and were admitted to McCombs.

Im sorry but college was a very long time ago, and one semester of a .57 GPA made it nearly impossible to get anything above what I got. And that was one freaking semester.

I hear you, I wish I would have done some things differently too. The reason I suggested taking additional classes is because it at least shows the adcoms that you are making an effort, similar to when your get a bad gmat score once and take it again (even if you improve slightly), it shows that you made an effort to improve.

Wish you the best of luck!
GMAT Club Bot