GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 02:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 21
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Sep 2017, 08:21
7
37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:06) correct 40% (01:02) wrong based on 1302 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a ninja festival, a celebration of Japan’s heritage that reflects on its feudal past while exalting its pop culture driven present. But clearly only children take this festival seriously, for they are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously.

(B) No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja.

(C) Anyone who is not dressed up as a ninja is not attending the festival

(D) The festival organizers have instituted a ninja-themed dress code.

(E) If an attendee is not dressed as a ninja, then that attendee will not be taken seriously by other attendees.

Originally posted by skrishnakarthik on 20 Oct 2013, 01:24.
Last edited by hazelnut on 10 Sep 2017, 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 16
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 23:01
5
5
skrishnakarthik wrote:
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a ninja festival, a celebration of Japan’s heritage that reflects on its feudal past while exalting its pop culture driven present. But clearly only children take this festival seriously, for they are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

a) Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously.
b) No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja.
C) Anyone who is not dressed up as a ninja is not attending the festival
d) The festival organizers have instituted a ninja-themed dress code.
E) If an attendee is not dressed as a ninja, then that attendee will not be taken seriously by other attendees.


I feel this can be solved as a Sufficient/Necessary condition type of reasoning question.
The argument says you need to be dressed up as a Ninja to be taken seriously. This means dressing up like a ninja is a NECESSARY condition to be taken seriously and taken seriously is a sufficient condition.
Take festival seriously->Dressed as a Ninja
so valid answer should be either of the following:
1. Takes festival seriously -> Dressed up as ninja
2. Not Dressed up as a ninja -> Does Not takes festival seriously.

Only choice A and B are relevant here, of that choice B is same as 1 so is the correct answer.
Choice A means: Dressed up as ninja -> Takes festival seriously. which is incorrect as its not either 1 or 2 from above.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 40
Re: In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2013, 03:44
4
1
a) Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously.
- What abt people who doesnt dressup as ninjas, do they take it seriously too? They can be serious too..then the conclusion is wrong else right

b) No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja
- Correct answer - all attendess who take function seriously will dress - up as ninja. As only children cam in dressup they only are serious about the festival

Hope it helps..!!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 117
Re: In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2014, 01:04
2
2
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a ninja festival, a celebration of Japan’s heritage that reflects on its feudal past while exalting its pop culture driven present. But clearly only children take this festival seriously, for they are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.

to take the festival seriously -------> attendees must dress up as ninjas
p--->q
not P----> not q


Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

in conditional situation the assumption question always support the necessary condition.

a) Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously. q---->p mistaken reversal
it is not necessary that whoever dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously but whoever takes the festival seriously must dress up as ninja

b) No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja. this means: if anyone is an attendees and takes the festival seriously then he/she won't fail to dress up as ninja (satisfy the necessary condition "must dress up as ninja").
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 May 2014
Posts: 139
Premium Member
Re: In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2014, 19:32
2
bb61 wrote:
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a ninja festival, a celebration of Japan’s heritage that reflects on its feudal past while exalting its pop culture driven present. But clearly only children take this festival seriously, for they are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.

to take the festival seriously -------> attendees must dress up as ninjas
p--->q
not P----> not q


Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

in conditional situation the assumption question always support the necessary condition.

a) Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously. q---->p mistaken reversal
it is not necessary that whoever dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously but whoever takes the festival seriously must dress up as ninja

b) No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja. this means: if anyone is an attendees and takes the festival seriously then he/she won't fail to dress up as ninja (satisfy the necessary condition "must dress up as ninja").


Hi bb61,
I think your explanation is good. However, I believe we cannot always use the reasoning that equals "P --> Q" = "Not P --> Not Q"
Logic does not work as an equation in which if you negate both sides you get the same equation.

Consider this example. "If someone is German, then he is European".
This does not mean that "If someone is not German, then he is not European". (That someone could be Italian, and still be European)

Would like to hear your thoughts, bro, and those of the community as well.
Thanks!
_________________

Consider giving me Kudos if I helped, but don´t take them away if I didn´t! :)

What would you do if you weren´t afraid?

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Jan 2014
Posts: 62
Re: In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2014, 07:21
1
minwoswoh wrote:
bb61 wrote:
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a ninja festival, a celebration of Japan’s heritage that reflects on its feudal past while exalting its pop culture driven present. But clearly only children take this festival seriously, for they are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.

to take the festival seriously -------> attendees must dress up as ninjas
p--->q
not P----> not q


Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

in conditional situation the assumption question always support the necessary condition.

a) Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously. q---->p mistaken reversal
it is not necessary that whoever dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously but whoever takes the festival seriously must dress up as ninja

b) No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja. this means: if anyone is an attendees and takes the festival seriously then he/she won't fail to dress up as ninja (satisfy the necessary condition "must dress up as ninja").


Hi bb61,
I think your explanation is good. However, I believe we cannot always use the reasoning that equals "P --> Q" = "Not P --> Not Q"
Logic does not work as an equation in which if you negate both sides you get the same equation.

Consider this example. "If someone is German, then he is European".
This does not mean that "If someone is not German, then he is not European". (That someone could be Italian, and still be European)

Would like to hear your thoughts, bro, and those of the community as well.
Thanks!


Hi

Case 1 : If P(takes festival seriously) is the sufficient condition for Q(dress up as Ninja) to Occur
Case 2 : And the Contrapositive will mean If Not Q(Not dress up as Ninja) --> then Not P((does not take festival seriously)

so in the question in hand , Case 1 is getting applied to Option B

As for your example, the contrapositive ll be

If someone is not European then he is not German

Hope it Makes Sense :)
_________________

______________________________
Liked the Post !!!! KUDOs Plzzzzz

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 May 2014
Posts: 139
Premium Member
Re: In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2014, 09:18
dream21 wrote:
minwoswoh wrote:
bb61 wrote:
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a ninja festival, a celebration of Japan’s heritage that reflects on its feudal past while exalting its pop culture driven present. But clearly only children take this festival seriously, for they are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.

to take the festival seriously -------> attendees must dress up as ninjas
p--->q
not P----> not q


Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

in conditional situation the assumption question always support the necessary condition.

a) Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously. q---->p mistaken reversal
it is not necessary that whoever dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously but whoever takes the festival seriously must dress up as ninja

b) No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja. this means: if anyone is an attendees and takes the festival seriously then he/she won't fail to dress up as ninja (satisfy the necessary condition "must dress up as ninja").


Hi bb61,
I think your explanation is good. However, I believe we cannot always use the reasoning that equals "P --> Q" = "Not P --> Not Q"
Logic does not work as an equation in which if you negate both sides you get the same equation.

Consider this example. "If someone is German, then he is European".
This does not mean that "If someone is not German, then he is not European". (That someone could be Italian, and still be European)

Would like to hear your thoughts, bro, and those of the community as well.
Thanks!


Hi

Case 1 : If P(takes festival seriously) is the sufficient condition for Q(dress up as Ninja) to Occur
Case 2 : And the Contrapositive will mean If Not Q(Not dress up as Ninja) --> then Not P((does not take festival seriously)

so in the question in hand , Case 1 is getting applied to Option B

As for your example, the contrapositive ll be

If someone is not European then he is not German

Hope it Makes Sense :)


Hi dream21,
It makes sense to me. So let me retype your reasoning.

P --> Q (Given)
Not P --> Not Q (INCORRECT)
Not Q --> Not P (CORRECT)

If Daniel is German, then he is European. (Given)
If Daniel is not German, then he is not European (INCORRECT)
If Daniel is not European, then he is not German (CORRECT)


Is this template correct at all times?
And ultimately, have you seen a significant number of Gmat questions based on this or we are just getting out of scope with formal logic?

Thanks!
_________________

Consider giving me Kudos if I helped, but don´t take them away if I didn´t! :)

What would you do if you weren´t afraid?

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2014
Posts: 83
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: HKUST '15, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
GPA: 3
Re: In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2014, 11:46
5
minwoswoh wrote:

Hi dream21,
It makes sense to me. So let me retype your reasoning.

P --> Q (Given)
Not P --> Not Q (INCORRECT)
Not Q --> Not P (CORRECT)

If Daniel is German, then he is European. (Given)
If Daniel is not German, then he is not European (INCORRECT)
If Daniel is not European, then he is not German (CORRECT)


Is this template correct at all times?
And ultimately, have you seen a significant number of Gmat questions based on this or we are just getting out of scope with formal logic?

Thanks!


If All P -> Q (given), Then what you have written is correct.I am not sure how to create a venn diagram in post as it will be easier to explain.

I will try to explain in text.
Imagine two circles as P and Q.
P is area inside P and Q is area inside Q
Not P is area outside circle P and Not Q is are ...Q

If All P -> Q , then P must lie inside Q i.e circle P is inside Q.

Condition 1 : Not Q --> Not P.
Not q means an area outside q.
If An area is out side Q , then it must be outside P also.Because P is inside q.So, The statement is always TRUE.

Condition 2: Not P --> Not Q.
Not P means area outside P.
As P is inside Q, Outside of area P could be region in Q or area out side Q also.So it can be Q or NOT Q both.So, This statement is not true.
_________________

Success has been and continues to be defined as Getting up one more time than you have been knocked down.

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6792
Re: CR Question ( casuation)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 20:50
sajib2126 wrote:
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a ninja festival, a celebration of Japan’s heritage that reflects on its feudal past while exalting its pop culture driven present. But clearly only children take this festival seriously, for they are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A.Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously.

B.No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja.

C.Anyone who is not dressed up as a ninja is not attending the festival

D.The festival organizers have instituted a ninja-themed dress code.

E.If an attendee is not dressed as a ninja, then that attendee will not be taken seriously by other attendees.


Please Explain why answer is not A or what is the clear difference between A and B


hi sajib,
lets see the choices..

A.Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously.
it does not talk of people who are not dressed up as ninjas, do they take the program seriously even when not in dress or they do not.... it just talks of one category of people , which is not being questioned in seriousness..

now B..
B.No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja.
look at it.. it talks of people of the category not attending in uniform that they are not serious and this is what we are looking for..
hope it helped...

ans B
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jul 2014
Posts: 12
Schools: Kellogg PT '17
Premium Member
Re: CR Question ( casuation)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 21:44
Need help to clear ambiguity between option A and option. I am still not getting the point .
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 6792
Re: CR Question ( casuation)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 22:34
1
sajib2126 wrote:
Need help to clear ambiguity between option A and option. I am still not getting the point .

hi,
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a ninja festival, a celebration of Japan’s heritage that reflects on its feudal past while exalting its pop culture driven present. But clearly only children take this festival seriously, for they are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.
look at the coloured portion.. this is the argument

it states that children are the only serious attendee because they dress up like ninjas....
A tells us 'A.Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously.'.... if this is the assumption then the argument should have been But clearly children take this festival seriously, for they bother to dress up as ninjas....

however since the argument uses them as the only category that is serious, it means it is necessary to wear clothes as ninjas to be serious in program... or anyone not wearing the dress is not serious this is what B states
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html


GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2013
Posts: 223
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Re: CR Question ( casuation)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2015, 00:11
2
Hi sajib2126,


Negation technique is very helpful in solving 'assumption' type question.

Lets check option A first, and negate.

A. Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously.

Negate A - Any attendee who doesn't dress up as a ninja doesn't take the festival seriously.

It's the other way round -

If X, then Y ----> doesn't mean If Y, then X

If you take festival seriously, then dress up as ninja
If dressed up as Ninja, then you may or may not take the festival seriously.


Lets check option B, and negate.

B.No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja.

Negate B - Attendee who takes the festival seriously would dress up as a Ninja.


That is what clearly mentioned in the argument.

Hope this is clear now.

Correct me if I am wrong
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1149
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2016, 11:54
Points in argument
  • In recent years, a village outside Osaka has taken to hosting a ninja festival,
  • Osaka is in Japan.
  • ninja festival is a celebration of Japan’s heritage that reflects on its feudal past while exalting its pop culture driven present.
  • Since only children are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.
    Assn1: only people who dress up as ninjas can attend
    Assn2: Only children bother to dress up as ninjas
    Assn3: Those who attend take festival seriously
  • only children take this festival seriously................conclusion

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

a) Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously...........you cannot attend the a club just because you wore its dress code. You need to have its membership as well.
b) No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja.................one who attended the club have dressed as per the code since it is mandatory.
C) Anyone who is not dressed up as a ninja is not attending the festival..........a bit similar to option A. We don't need to assume that those who don't dress up do not attend as it can refer to anyone.
d) The festival organizers have instituted a ninja-themed dress code..............even though there is no theme dress code it is possible that makers prefer ninja dress code for participants just for fun or tradition.
E) If an attendee is not dressed as a ninja, then that attendee will not be taken seriously by other attendees............seriousness among fellow attendees is out of scope and not our concern.
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3673
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: CR Question ( casuation)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 04:49
1
This questions works on a simple rule

if P, then Q ==> ~Q --> ~P

For this condition ~P--> ~Q is always incorrect.

Here P is attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas and Q is Take the festival seriously.

A.Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously. : This is restatement, hence can't be Assumption.

B.No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja. Correct as per above rule.

C.Anyone who is not dressed up as a ninja is not attending the festival. : Incorrect as per above rule.

D.The festival organizers have instituted a ninja-themed dress code. : Irrelevant.

E.If an attendee is not dressed as a ninja, then that attendee will not be taken seriously by other attendees. : Same as C.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Jan 2017
Posts: 23
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
CR Question ( casuation)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 19:07
DesiGmat wrote:
Hi sajib2126,


Negation technique is very helpful in solving 'assumption' type question.

Lets check option A first, and negate.

A. Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously.

Negate A - Any attendee who doesn't dress up as a ninja doesn't take the festival seriously.

It's the other way round -

If X, then Y ----> doesn't mean If Y, then X

If you take festival seriously, then dress up as ninja
If dressed up as Ninja, then you may or may not take the festival seriously.


Lets check option B, and negate.

B.No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja.

Negate B - Attendee who takes the festival seriously would dress up as a Ninja.


That is what clearly mentioned in the argument.

Hope this is clear now.

Correct me if I am wrong


Negation technique should mean that negated statement invalidates the argument. I don't see how the negated B breaks down the argument. Wouldn't the negated statement for B be Attendee who fails to take the festival seriously dressed up as a ninja?
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3673
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: CR Question ( casuation)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 23:33
texas wrote:
Negation technique should mean that negated statement invalidates the argument. I don't see how the negated B breaks down the argument. Wouldn't the negated statement for B be Attendee who fails to take the festival seriously dressed up as a ninja?


The argument says only children takes the festival seriously "since only they are bothered to dressed up as Ninja's".

It means the author is assuming that those you dressed up as Ninja's take the festival seriously.

Option B is saying the same thing "No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja.".

Let's negate this:

Some attendances who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja.

It means even if they are taking it seriously, they will fail to dress up as a Ninja. This means our assumption is broken because we clearly said dressing up as Ninja means taking the festival seriously. Hence, B is correct.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!



Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Senior SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 1322
Location: Malaysia
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 08:23
skrishnakarthik wrote:
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a ninja festival, a celebration of Japan’s heritage that reflects on its feudal past while exalting its pop culture driven present. But clearly only children take this festival seriously, for they are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously.

(B) No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja.

(C) Anyone who is not dressed up as a ninja is not attending the festival

(D) The festival organizers have instituted a ninja-themed dress code.

(E) If an attendee is not dressed as a ninja, then that attendee will not be taken seriously by other attendees.


Solution: B

Most Assumption questions feature a new element in the conclusion: an element not introduced in any of the premises.

To strengthen the argument, find the answer choice that contains that element and connects it to the existing premises. In this case, the only relevant premise is “Children are the only attendees dressed as ninjas”, and the conclusion is “Children are the only attendees who take the event seriously.” This tells us that dressing as a ninja is a necessary condition for taking the event seriously: in other words, if you aren’t dressed as a ninja, you don’t take the event seriously. (B.)

(Remember that this does NOT work the other way around: dressing as a ninja is not sufficient to prove that you take the event seriously – it is merely one thing you have to do to prove you take the event seriously – so (A) is NOT right.)
_________________

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Nov 2015
Posts: 79
GMAT 1: 460 Q32 V22
Re: In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 20:44
skrishnakarthik wrote:
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a ninja festival, a celebration of Japan’s heritage that reflects on its feudal past while exalting its pop culture driven present. But clearly only children take this festival seriously, for they are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Any attendee who dresses up as a ninja takes the festival seriously.

(B) No attendee who takes the festival seriously would fail to dress up as a ninja.

(C) Anyone who is not dressed up as a ninja is not attending the festival

(D) The festival organizers have instituted a ninja-themed dress code.

(E) If an attendee is not dressed as a ninja, then that attendee will not be taken seriously by other attendees.


GMAT is very smart to trick us and plays well with the wordings.

Although i answered this question incorrectly first, re-reading the same clears the confusion.

Options C, D and E goes straight away. The choice is left between A and B.

Not the as per the question stem, Only Children take this festival seriously and they dressed up as ninja.
Now instead of Only Children if it would have intended for larger audience then A would have been correct. However since the argument restricts this only to children, Option B is correct. Hope this clears the confusion.

---------------------------------------------
+1 for kudos please
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 20
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 14:16

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:



Solution: B

Most Assumption questions feature a new element in the conclusion: an element not introduced in any of the premises. To strengthen the argument, find the answer choice that contains that element and connects it to the existing premises. In this case, the only relevant premise is “Children are the only attendees dressed as ninjas”, and the conclusion is “Children are the only attendees who take the event seriously.” This tells us that dressing as a ninja is a necessary condition for taking the event seriously: in other words, if you aren’t dressed as a ninja, you don’t take the event seriously. (B.) (Remember that this does NOT work the other way around: dressing as a ninja is not sufficient to prove that you take the event seriously – it is merely one thing you have to do to prove you take the event seriously – so (A) is NOT right.)
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 67
GMAT ToolKit User
CR Question ( casuation)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 20:27
As soon as i finished reading B ..i knew it;s the answer

clearly only children take this festival seriously, for they are the only attendees who bother to dress up as ninjas.
CR Question ( casuation) &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 20:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In recent years, a village outside Osaka, Japan has taken to hosting a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.