It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In relocating to countries in Europe or Asia

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [2], given: 126

Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
In relocating to countries in Europe or Asia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2014, 11:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (01:06) correct 56% (01:17) wrong based on 696 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In relocating to countries in Europe or Asia, U.S. companies are looking to avoid the attention brought on by moving to such obvious tax shelters as Belize, and taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force.

A.) Belize, and taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force
B.) Belize, and by taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark that also have a highly skilled work force
C.) Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also has a highly skilled work force
D.)Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force
E.) Belize, and are taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

C'est la vie

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 50

Re: In relocating to countries in Europe or Asia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2014, 22:54
Can someone please explain this question.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 50

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.56
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2014, 12:48
went for D …. which i thought was supposed to modify the countries but since we cannot separate "like denmark" which was correct in referring to countries….wonder how it refers to denmark

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GPA: 2.7
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2014, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
Ok. Here is the official solution :

This sentence correction problem is primarily concerned with sentence construction and tricky subject-verb agreement. You need to make sure that the multiple parts of the sentence are properly linked together and that there is proper agreement in the “which” clause at the end. Any time you are dealing with errors of sentence construction, the technique of slash-and-burn is particularly useful. In (A), there are two main errors: the structure “looking to avoid…and taking” is not parallel or logical (should be “looking to avoid and take”) and the verb “have” after the “which” clause is also incorrect as it should be singular. The subject for that verb is the singular Denmark – the noun right beside it - and that is clear because only a country would have “a highly skilled work force”, not countries. (B) contains this same agreement error as (A) - should be “has” not “have” - and the “by taking” is also incorrect as it is erroneously and illogically making that part of the sentence parallel to “by moving”. (C) gets the parallelism correct: “U.S. companies are looking to avoid…..and take “ Also only (C) uses the correct “has” in the which clause at the end. (D) and (E) both contain the agreement error with “have” discussed above and are thus incorrect. Answer is (C).

C'est la vie

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [5], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2014, 00:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mshrek wrote:
In relocating to countries in Europe or Asia, U.S. companies are looking to avoid the attention brought on by moving to such obvious tax shelters as Belize, and taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force.

A.) Belize, and taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force
B.) Belize, and by taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark that also have a highly skilled work force
C.) Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also has a highly skilled work force
D.)Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force
E.) Belize, and are taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force

Identifying the correct list could be difficult here:

are looking to avoid ... , and taking advantage
are looking to avoid the attention ... , and take advantage
are looking to avoid the attention brought on by moving to ..., and taking/ by taking advantage

Split the sentence while working on the meaning and grammatical structure:

Two errors here-
Companies are looking to do two things: avoid X and taking Y - verbs should be parallel
Denmark (singular noun) doesn't agree with plural verb (have)

In relocating to countries in Europe or Asia, U.S. companies are looking to
avoid the attention brought on by moving to such obvious tax shelters as Belize,
and
taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force.

B.) Belize, and by taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark that alsohave a highly skilled work force

Best!
Dolly

MBA will not make you successful. MBA will make you an "MBA". Being successful is a decision you can make right away!

Get in touch with us: http://pythagurus.in/admission-consulting-enquiry/?gclid=CJSS5bno8tQCFUMeaAodF9gIRA

+91-96500-11733

Kudos [?]: 22 [5], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 15

In relocating to countries in Europe or Asia [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 23:05
If one tries to look at the core sentence -

In relocating to countries in Eur and Asia, US companies are looking to avoid X, and taking advantage of Y in countries like Denmark, which also have Z.

Now, it seems looking is a linking verb (such as appear, feel, etc which describes the state of subject rather than its action) here and doesnt really have to be parallel to action verb taking. Therefore to avoid will be parallel to verb (to) take in my opinion. Also if someone confuses parallelism in - by moving to be parallel with by taking, then meaning wise its odd, as US cant possibly avoid attention by taking advantage of something else. That rules out A,B and E.

Between C and D, from SV agreement between has/have, since Denmark is singular, C comes out as the correct ans

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 15

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 21

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.44
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 06:29
This post received
KUDOS
(C) doesn't look right because of the comma right after 'Belize'. In fact, none of the options look good to me by way of usage of comma

mshrek wrote:
Ok. Here is the official solution :

This sentence correction problem is primarily concerned with sentence construction and tricky subject-verb agreement. You need to make sure that the multiple parts of the sentence are properly linked together and that there is proper agreement in the “which” clause at the end. Any time you are dealing with errors of sentence construction, the technique of slash-and-burn is particularly useful. In (A), there are two main errors: the structure “looking to avoid…and taking” is not parallel or logical (should be “looking to avoid and take”) and the verb “have” after the “which” clause is also incorrect as it should be singular. The subject for that verb is the singular Denmark – the noun right beside it - and that is clear because only a country would have “a highly skilled work force”, not countries. (B) contains this same agreement error as (A) - should be “has” not “have” - and the “by taking” is also incorrect as it is erroneously and illogically making that part of the sentence parallel to “by moving”. (C) gets the parallelism correct: “U.S. companies are looking to avoid…..and take “ Also only (C) uses the correct “has” in the which clause at the end. (D) and (E) both contain the agreement error with “have” discussed above and are thus incorrect. Answer is (C).

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 21

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2015, 19:27
if the sentence is long, we do not know the latter part is paralel to which previous part. this case is imple but terribly hard . using out common sense of the world to realize the correct paralelism is hard.

gmat can use simple grammar rule like this one to make very hard question.

similar case happen in which 3 verb are in order and we are asked to realize the logic paralelism.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 28

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.11
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 06:22
Udai wrote:
went for D …. which i thought was supposed to modify the countries but since we cannot separate "like denmark" which was correct in referring to countries….wonder how it refers to denmark

Same here. I narrowed it down to D and C within 20 seconds but was hesitant on the has/have issue. I finally went for D following the same reasoning above. When reading the sentence we cannot separate "like Denmark" and it refers to countries which is plural. Another way to say it is I read the which clause as modifying "countries like Denmark" and not "Denmark".

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 28

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2015, 21:27
I think I got every other part correct except the has/have.

From the discussion above I understand that "has" has to conform with "Denmark" which is supposedly the subject here. And therefore, C is the correct option.

Can anyone explain me how would have we constructed the statement given "countries" was the subject?

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 870 [0], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 05:18
KapilVarshney wrote:
I think I got every other part correct except the has/have.

From the discussion above I understand that "has" has to conform with "Denmark" which is supposedly the subject here. And therefore, C is the correct option.

Can anyone explain me how would have we constructed the statement given "countries" was the subject?

Thanks.

The subject for that verb is the singular Denmark - the noun right beside it - and that is clear because only a country would have “a highly skilled work force”, not countries.

I suppose the statement with countries as subject would be
Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries, each of which also has a highly skilled work force

Please verify the official solution posted by mshrek above.(we can thus avoid duplicate posts)

I hope I'm right. Any discussion or suggestions are most welcome. :)

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 870 [0], given: 75

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: -13 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 05:48

we have to make it parellel and the best parallelism is shown in C ----- U.S. companies are looking to avoid .............. as Belize and take advantage ;

so to avoid and take becomes parellel and plus Denmark is a country - collective noun -- needs singular ; so Answer is C;

KUDOS pls if you like My Post

Kudos [?]: -13 [0], given: 57

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 148

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2015, 06:06
mshrek wrote:

Based on Subject-Verb agreement we can easily eliminate all other four options except C.
||lelism --> To avoid attention and To take advantage.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 148

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

In relocating to countries in Europe or Asia, U.S. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 05:23

Belize, and taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force
Belize, and by taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark that also have a highly skilled work force
Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also has a highly skilled work force
Belize, and take advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force
Belize, and are taking advantage of the more favorable business conditions in countries like Denmark, which also have a highly skilled work force

Last edited by broall on 15 Sep 2017, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting question!

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 186

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 19:22
Is the use of 'like' before Denmark correct? So far I know, in gmat 'like' cannot be used to cite example.

Posted from my mobile device

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 186

Re: In relocating to countries in Europe or Asia   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2017, 19:22

In relocating to countries in Europe or Asia

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap