GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 18:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jul 2017, 19:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (01:22) correct 33% (01:32) wrong based on 2093 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, the government decided to redistribute landing slots. Henceforth, all international flights arriving from continent A would be rerouted to nearby airport Y, all flights arriving from continent B would continue to land at airport X. Several airlines opposed this measure on the grounds that it would result in lost business.

Which of the following, if true, justifies the airline’s conclusion?

(A) The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.

(B) It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second airport.

(C) There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y.

(D) Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the final destinations of many travelers from continent B.

(E) Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight connections they offer at airport X.

Originally posted by inequality on 12 Jul 2012, 00:05.
Last edited by broall on 03 Jul 2017, 19:07, edited 2 times in total.
edited OA
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Re: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2012, 00:12
I have tried to resolve the problem and this is what I could come up with.

A) The redirection is planned to reduce congestion. There is no information that airport Y can/will cause congestion and therefore affect businesses. - so incorrect
B) Out of scope
C) If there are fewer runways , and thus less capacity , some business will lose business.. as the no of flights that can be operated can be reduced - Correct
D) Out of scope
E) The argument talks only about the arrivals. A departure to country B can still happen from airport Y. Likewise , flights from continent B can land in aiport y and departure to country A can still be from airport. Incorrect.

My answer seems to be incorrect. Can someone help me identify the flaw in my reasoning.

Thanks
=/=
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2012, 01:25
A) The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.
Airlines people are saying that the new diversion will harm business but , if this diversion is making less congestion then more customers will travel,Contender.
(B) It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second
airport.
Doesn't matter but indeed a contender because passengers who are from country A will not have major problem even if they are not landing at X.
The prime idea of involving Y is to reduce the congestion at X so, even if Y has fewer runways ,it is doing its job well in reducing the congestion by some level.Doesn't make any sense because we have been asked to refute the conclusion which says that the business will decrease because of the diversion.
(D) Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the
final destinations of many travelers from continent B.
Actually it's strengthening the conclusion that the airline people will loose business.(we have to refute it)
(E) Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight
connections they offer at airport X.
But what if they will face congestion and their flights will be delayed?NO!

(A) is the reasonable answer.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2012, 03:06
inequality wrote:
In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, the government decided to redistribute landing slots. Henceforth, all international flights arriving from continent A would be rerouted to nearby airport Y, all flights arriving from continent B would continue to land at airport X. Several airlines opposed this measure on the grounds that it would result in lost business.

airport.
(E) Many customers traveling between continent A and continent
B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight

I feel it should be 'D'. Because, we need to strengthen the airlines' opposition, i.e., We need to strengthen that the business will be at loss if the government implements this diversion.
Please throw some light.

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2012, 04:20
Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2012, 12:04
raghupara wrote:
inequality wrote:

airport.

I feel it should be 'D'. Because, we need to strengthen the airlines' opposition, i.e., We need to strengthen that the business will be at loss if the government implements this diversion.
Please throw some light.

Thanks.
Hi raghupara,

Right now, no one from continent B is getting the links from airport Y. Choice (D) suggests that more customers would start flying if flights from B were to be diverted to Y instead of those from A. However, the airlines' conclusion isn't that "this plan costs us potential new customers" or "this plan isn't the most efficient way to increase business." Rather, the conclusion is specifically that the plan will cost existing business. If (D) is true, people from B will face the exact same inconvenience before and after the plan is implemented, so this doesn't strengthen the idea that the plan is harmful.

Hope this helps!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 4: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 5: 660 Q50 V28
WE: Design (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2012, 01:15
'E' fits the bill.
I request the moderators to clear the air.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2012, 10:48
As mentioned by SunilDevil THe OA is E in the Other forum . I think this needs to be corrected.
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2012, 01:27
inequality wrote:

airport.

We need to attack the conclusion by airlines that "this redistribution will impact business" - which could not be the case, if peopl from Cont A or B picking airlines basis the connectivity to X, so it won't harm the business

Cheers
GODSPEED
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2012, 03:27
Conclusion - Re-distributing the traffic to another Airport ie to Y will result in lost business for several Airlines.

Have to find a statement that strengthens the conclusion

(A) The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports. - It is not certain which airport would be congested and what customer needs are - Irrelevant - Incorrect
(B) It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second airport. - Does not prove anything - Incorrect
(C) There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y. - Having less capacity would not automatically result in lost business - Incorrect
(D) Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the final destinations of many travelers from continent B. - The business would increase because of this. - Incorrect
(E) Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight connections they offer at airport X. - Precisely provides the link how the airlines would be losing business - Correct
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2014, 12:39
I thought it was E too. If airline customers prefer less congested airports, ten the airlines would not risk going out of business.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2014, 08:18
i don't think its E

may be customers used to opt for the airline providing service from continent A to airport X instead of airport Y EARLIER, but now customers form continent A do not have any other option but to fly to Y(simply because there is no flight going to X).

I am inclined towards B assuming "lost business" = burning extra fuel for the same price.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2014, 08:59
It can not be 'E' as the argument only talks about Flights 'landing' from A & B but what E talks about is connection from A to B. Hence, Irrelevant. I think A correctly bridges that gap as airlines want to make more business thus would want more & more air-flyers but as A pointed out customers prefers less congested (means less customers to airlines->loss of business).
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2014, 11:33
inequality wrote:

airport.

The fight is obviously VISIBLE between choice (A) and (E). But it is quite surprising to know that people have even CONSIDERED option (A) which is horrendously incorrect. If congestion of airports has been divided into 2 and if by choice A people prefer this then how come it would contribute in lowering of the business. It would in fact attract more customers.

How can someone even consider this as an option forget about even it being correct :lol: ?Surely giggled me while I solved this question.

In my opinion the answer should be (E) which was the only contender.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 21:25
thevenus wrote:
A) The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.
Airlines people are saying that the new diversion will harm business but , if this diversion is making less congestion then more customers will travel,Contender.
airport.
Doesn't matter but indeed a contender because passengers who are from country A will not have major problem even if they are not landing at X.
The prime idea of involving Y is to reduce the congestion at X so, even if Y has fewer runways ,it is doing its job well in reducing the congestion by some level.Doesn't make any sense because we have been asked to refute the conclusion which says that the business will decrease because of the diversion.
Actually it's strengthening the conclusion that the airline people will loose business.(we have to refute it)
(E) Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight
But what if they will face congestion and their flights will be delayed?NO!

(A) is the reasonable answer.

Airlines conclusion is loss of business . Option A tells us that business will increase
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2014, 00:19
Loss of Business is the fact that needs to be strengthened.
As per Option E, since customers decision are based on the fact that airport X provides easy flight connections between Continent A and B.
Rerouting the flights to airport Y will cause hassle to customers who decide on the basis of easy connections and hence loss in Business.

MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
#Top150 CR: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2015, 23:58

A. The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.

B. It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second airport.

C. There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y.

D. Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the final destinations of many travelers from continent B.

E. Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight connections they offer at airport X.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Director
Director
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: #Top150 CR: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 03:32
My 2 cents...

In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, the government decided to redistribute landing slots.
Henceforth, all international flights arriving from continent A would be rerouted to nearby airport Y, all flights arriving from continent B would continue to land at airport X.

Conclusion:
Several airlines opposed this measure on the grounds that it would result in lost business.

D Vs E:
D. Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the final destinations of many travelers from continent B.
>> Things were not changed for B. So (D) persisted even before the changes were applied and hence it does little to help us in justifying/strengthening the conclusion.

E. Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight connections they offer at airport X.
>>Now this says that many people used X because of the convenience to switch the flight between A & B. Something that would be hampered/affected due to the new changes. Correct.

Rest of options:
>> Doesnt help in justifying the conclusion.
>> We dont know if 5 min is on higher side or something that is acceptable.
>>May be sufficient for the airlines that have been transferred there. Dont have much detail to evaluate it.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
#Top150 CR: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 12:00
In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, the government decided to redistribute landing slots.
Henceforth,
    all international flights arriving from continent A would be rerouted to nearby airport Y,
    all flights arriving from continent B would continue to land at airport X
Several airlines opposed this measure on the grounds that it would result in lost business.

(Weakens since according to this statement customers will be happy and there is no loss in business)

(since the time waste due to congestion gets reduced, this 5 min may or may not be acceptable depending on the customer.)

(cant say anything since the international flights starting from A may have less capacity of only business people equal to that of Y.)

(If this is true, then reversal of the needed order(AY and BX instead of AX and BY) causes much problems to travellers or customers and can result in losses. Weakener)

(This may or may not incur problem and we have no proper info regarding these easy flight connections and impact on them due to government proposal.)

I got D but thanks to you JarvisR, I finally understood why I got that wrong answer.
JarvisR wrote:
>> Things were not changed for B. So (D) persisted even before the changes were applied and hence it does little to help us in justifying/strengthening the conclusion.

>>Now this says that many people used X because of the convenience to switch the flight between A & B. Something that would be hampered/affected due to the new changes. Correct.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: #Top150 CR: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 04:31
souvik101990 wrote:

Hi Souvik,

I marked E as the answer but it is wrong. Please explain how A is the answer.

Thanks & Regards
Rajat Mahan
Re: #Top150 CR: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X &nbs [#permalink] 21 Sep 2015, 04:31

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap