Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [28]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [3]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, the govern [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
raghupara wrote:
inequality wrote:
In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, the government decided to redistribute landing slots. Henceforth, all international flights arriving from continent A would be rerouted to nearby airport Y, all flights arriving from continent B would continue to land at airport X. Several airlines opposed this measure on the grounds that it would result in lost business.

Which of the following, if true, justifies the airline’s conclusion?

(A) The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.
(B) It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second
airport.
(C) There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y.
(D) Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the
final destinations of many travelers from continent B.
(E) Many customers traveling between continent A and continent
B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight
connections they offer at airport X.

I feel it should be 'D'. Because, we need to strengthen the airlines' opposition, i.e., We need to strengthen that the business will be at loss if the government implements this diversion.
Please throw some light.

Thanks.
Hi raghupara,

Right now, no one from continent B is getting the links from airport Y. Choice (D) suggests that more customers would start flying if flights from B were to be diverted to Y instead of those from A. However, the airlines' conclusion isn't that "this plan costs us potential new customers" or "this plan isn't the most efficient way to increase business." Rather, the conclusion is specifically that the plan will cost existing business. If (D) is true, people from B will face the exact same inconvenience before and after the plan is implemented, so this doesn't strengthen the idea that the plan is harmful.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, the govern [#permalink]
Conclusion - Re-distributing the traffic to another Airport ie to Y will result in lost business for several Airlines.

Have to find a statement that strengthens the conclusion

(A) The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports. - It is not certain which airport would be congested and what customer needs are - Irrelevant - Incorrect
(B) It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second airport. - Does not prove anything - Incorrect
(C) There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y. - Having less capacity would not automatically result in lost business - Incorrect
(D) Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the final destinations of many travelers from continent B. - The business would increase because of this. - Incorrect
(E) Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight connections they offer at airport X. - Precisely provides the link how the airlines would be losing business - Correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [2]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Kudos
My 2 cents...

In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, the government decided to redistribute landing slots.
Henceforth, all international flights arriving from continent A would be rerouted to nearby airport Y, all flights arriving from continent B would continue to land at airport X.

Conclusion:
Several airlines opposed this measure on the grounds that it would result in lost business.

D Vs E:
D. Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the final destinations of many travelers from continent B.
>> Things were not changed for B. So (D) persisted even before the changes were applied and hence it does little to help us in justifying/strengthening the conclusion.

E. Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight connections they offer at airport X.
>>Now this says that many people used X because of the convenience to switch the flight between A & B. Something that would be hampered/affected due to the new changes. Correct.

Rest of options:
A. The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.
>> Doesnt help in justifying the conclusion.
B. It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second airport.
>> We dont know if 5 min is on higher side or something that is acceptable.
C. There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y.
>>May be sufficient for the airlines that have been transferred there. Dont have much detail to evaluate it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
IMO, E should be correct. Here's the reasoning:

I am a traveler form continent A. I need to fly to continent B. I usually choose say, 'GoFly' airways.

What happens now-
I take a GoFly flight and reach airport X, and from there, 'GoFly' offers many convenient connecting flights to Continent B. Overall, a smooth journey. At the end- I love GoFly and will definitely come back! :)

What will happen after the change-
I will take a GoFly plane to reach airport Y, and i will have to struggle for connecting flights because GoFly does not provide connecting flights from there. Either i will have to wait for hours or will have to take a cab to airport X and take a flight from there. Overall a painful journey. At the end- I hate GoFly and will not choose it again! :(

As a result, business lost for GoFly.

Does this make sense?

Please let me know if im wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
ANSWER IS (E)

WHY?
The airlines are mad that they will LOSE BUSINESS. Let's LOOK for an answer that means the airlines will LOSE BUSINESS AS A RESULT OF THIS CHANGE, NOT NECESSARILY INCREASE COSTS. THAT WOULD BE A WHOLE SEPARATE QUESTION.

A - The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.. Sure, the customers prefer it, but all flyers from continent B are in the same boat as they were before, so we have to assume they wouldn't care. All flyers from continent A don't have a choice but to go to airport Y...Are they going to now travel by boat just because the new airport is a 30 minute drive from the old one? NO. REMEMBER: These people are coming from another CONTINENT, on LONG FLIGHTS. WRONG ANSWER.

B - It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second airport. Again, like A, are flyers really going to care about a 5 minute flight difference on their 8+ hour airline flight? NO. WRONG ANSWER.

C - There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y.POSSIBLY. If airlines are forced to land their planes at Airport Y, but there are few customers there flying out of Airport Y, then planes will leave with many empty seats. If X was the HUB airport, and now airlines are forced to switched to Y, flyers will need to become aware of the switch. The airlines aren't going to have all the same customers flocking to airport Y as they had flocking to airport X. HOWEVER, the airlines could always fly their jets from within the continent over to airport X. Though this would INCREASE COSTS, it WOULD NOT NECESSARILY REDUCE BUSINESS. REMEMBER, the question asks about reduced BUSINESS. WRONG ANSWER.

D - Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the final destinations of many travelers from continent B.No effect on business. People aren't going to choose to travel by plane instead of boat or car just because the better transport links. This is just a perk for travelers coming from continent AWRONG ANSWER.

E - Many customers traveling between continent A and continent B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight connections they offer at airport X.The governmental switch affects ALL AIRLINES from CONTINENT A, not just SOME. SO, ALL TRAVELERS from Continent A are FORCED to deal with the switch. Again, people aren't going to hop on a train with their family now because of the switch. Besides, travelers still have the option to fly DIRECTLY from continent A to continent B, BUT THAT WOULD affect the companies' business, as this could increase COSTS OF FLYING TO THE CONSUMER (THINK: NONSTOP ALWAYS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN 1+ STOPS)KEEP IT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
inequality wrote:
In response to years of increasing congestion at airport X, the government decided to redistribute landing slots. Henceforth, all international flights arriving from continent A would be rerouted to nearby airport Y, all flights arriving from continent B would continue to land at airport X. Several airlines opposed this measure on the grounds that it would result in lost business.

Which of the following, if true, justifies the airline’s conclusion?

(A) The airlines’ customers prefer less congested airports.
(B) It takes five minutes more flying time to reach the second
airport.
(C) There are fewer runways, and thus less capacity, at airport Y.
(D) Airport Y is located in a region with better transport links to the
final destinations of many travelers from continent B.
(E) Many customers traveling between continent A and continent
B choose certain airlines because of the easy flight
connections they offer at airport X.

IMO if the question was to justify Government's conclusion then answer would've been A. But for airline's conclusion, it is E.
Do we have an Expert's answer on this?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts