It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 23:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nine

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Feb 2017
Posts: 32
In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 08:30
egmat wrote:
aviejay wrote:
Hi egmat

I chose E even though I understand that ",where" is wrong as it should modify a place. However, I have some doubts:




Hello aviejay,

Thank you for the PM. :-)

Here are my explanations for your well-articulated queries.


aviejay wrote:
1. Why is the usage of past perfect in "had installed electric lighting" correct? Which event is it taking in reference as a later event in order use the past perfect tense? I say this because in the first Is it "at the end of the nineteenth century"? If so, how is this correct when the installation happened at the end of the nineteenth century? Meaning, the installation and "end of nineteenth century" happened at the same time.


See, it is not that important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks all installed electricity at the end of 19th century. These places individually must have installed electricity when they could.

The sentence basically wants to say that at the end of 19th century important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks had already started using electricity. So the later event is basically the 19th century coming to its end. Hence, usage of had installed in Choice A is correct.


aviejay wrote:
2. If "banks had installed electric lighting" is correct and uses the past perfect tense, then why shoud'nt "where lighting had still been" (in option E) use the same as both these events occured at the same time and presumably before "at the end of the nineteenth century"


If the sentence says that lighting had been provided mainly by candle or gas, the usage will suggest that candle or gas was the main source of lighting only till the end of 19th century. After that, they it not used as the source of lighting.

But the sentence just wants to say the opposite. Even after the end of 19th century, majority of homes continued to use candle or gas as the main source of lighting.

Many homes used candle or gas even during the end of 19th century and most likely after that time also. Hence, we need simple past tense verb to denote this general information in the past.


aviejay wrote:
3. Doesnt "electricity was in less than one percent of homes" (option A)sound awkward? Doesnt it sound like electircity is being personified?


I am not sure why you say so. Don't we say, say after a power outage, that power is back. We all know what kind of entity electricity is.

And again, GMAT SC is not at all about "sounds awkward". It is all about logic that determines the grammar of the sentence.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha


Thanks a lot Shraddha! This definitely helps.

However, on examining statement A again, I came across another doubt. Isnt there a change in voice between "important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks had installed electric lighting" and "but electricity was in less than one percent of homes"? I say this because in the first phrase "important places" is the subject and "electric lighting" is the object, but in the second phrase electricity (comparable to electric lighting) is the subject and homes (comparable to important places) is the object. If so, does'nt this option violate parallelism?
e-GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2017
Posts: 43
Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 22:14
imo A
where is refereed to homes in A, BESIDE, there is usage of HAD which should be used with simple past tense.Off all the options given A is following this rule
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Feb 2017
Posts: 32
Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nine [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 22:57
egmat wrote:
aviejay wrote:
Hi egmat

I chose E even though I understand that ",where" is wrong as it should modify a place. However, I have some doubts:




Hello aviejay,

Thank you for the PM. :-)

Here are my explanations for your well-articulated queries.


aviejay wrote:
1. Why is the usage of past perfect in "had installed electric lighting" correct? Which event is it taking in reference as a later event in order use the past perfect tense? Is it "at the end of the nineteenth century"? If so, how is this correct when the installation happened at the end of the nineteenth century? Meaning, the installation and "end of nineteenth century" happened at the same time.


See, it is not that important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks all installed electricity at the end of 19th century. These places individually must have installed electricity when they could.

The sentence basically wants to say that at the end of 19th century important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks had already started using electricity. So the later event is basically the 19th century coming to its end. Hence, usage of had installed in Choice A is correct.


aviejay wrote:
2. If "banks had installed electric lighting" is correct and uses the past perfect tense, then why shoud'nt "where lighting had still been" (in option E) use the same as both these events occured at the same time and presumably before "at the end of the nineteenth century"


If the sentence says that lighting had been provided mainly by candle or gas, the usage will suggest that candle or gas was the main source of lighting only till the end of 19th century. After that, they it not used as the source of lighting.

But the sentence just wants to say the opposite. Even after the end of 19th century, majority of homes continued to use candle or gas as the main source of lighting.

Many homes used candle or gas even during the end of 19th century and most likely after that time also. Hence, we need simple past tense verb to denote this general information in the past.


aviejay wrote:
3. Doesnt "electricity was in less than one percent of homes" (option A)sound awkward? Doesnt it sound like electircity is being personified?


I am not sure why you say so. Don't we say, say after a power outage, that power is back. We all know what kind of entity electricity is.

And again, GMAT SC is not at all about "sounds awkward". It is all about logic that determines the grammar of the sentence.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha


Thanks Shraddha egmat . Your explanation definitely helped. However, on analysing the question further, I came across another doubt.

Dont you think " important public places such as theaters, restaurants, shops, and banks had installed electric lighting" is parallel to "less than one percent of homes had electricity" (option E) in terms of the voice used in both the clauses (both are in active voice)? But when we use, "electricity was in less than one percent of homes" (option A), the voice changes as this is in passive voice.
Re: In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nine   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2018, 22:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 43 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In the major cities of industrialized countries at the end of the nine

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.