GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 18:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Sep 2018, 21:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:57) correct 37% (01:07) wrong based on 1067 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets.

(A) rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets

(B) rising of the moon for a massive Soviet missile attack

(C) moon rising to a massive missile attack by the Soviets

(D) moon as it was rising for a massive Soviet missile attack

(E) rise of the moon as a massive Soviet missile attack

Originally posted by Amit05 on 03 Oct 2007, 12:17.
Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Sep 2018, 21:04, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Re: In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2009, 03:07
pierrealexandre77 wrote:
Hi all,

Here is a new SC :

In the mid-1960’s a newly installed radar warning system mistook the rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets.

Official Answer: B

Could someone explain me why OA is not D?

Comparison between moon and a missile... that's for me a better comparison than OA

The correct idiom tested here is "mistake/mistook X for Y". This immediately rules out A, C and E.
B is correct because the comparison is between the event - rising of the moon - and -massive Soviet missile attack". The comparison is not between the moon and the missile attack or the moon and a missile.
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Re: In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2007, 23:52
Amit05 wrote:
In the mid-l 960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets.

(A) rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by
the Soviets

(B) rising of the moon for a massive Soviet missile
attack

(C) moon rising to a massive missile attack by the
Soviets

(D) moon as it was rising for a massive Soviet missile
attack

(E) rise of the moon as a massive Soviet missile
attack

Please explain your answers. Request you not to just put up alphabets..

Mistook X for Y is the correct idiom.

Elim everything but B and D.

D: awkward and illogical. The radar system mistook the rise of the moon, not exactly the moon itself.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2009, 12:25
pierrealexandre77 wrote:
Hi all,

Here is a new SC :

In the mid-1960’s a newly installed radar warning system mistook the rising of the moon as a massive missile attack by the Soviets.

Official Answer: B

Could someone explain me why OA is not D?

Comparison between moon and a missile... that's for me a better comparison than OA

I agree B. The reason why D is wrong is that "moon as it was rising for" suggests that the moon was rising for the sake of "massive Soviet missile attack". For example:

Tom would do anything for her-----> the "for" here has the same logic as that in option D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Haas EWMBA '17

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2013, 01:46
Only two close answers are A & B

--Mistook X as Y is incorrect use of idiom.
-- Correct. Idiom Mistook/Mistake X for Y is correctly used here.

Hence choice (B) is the answer.

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE GMAT Practice Tests: Vote Here
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here
Finance your Student loan through SoFi and get $100 referral bonus : Click here
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 09:41
Dear Expert,

May I ask whether "moon rising" and "rising of the moon" are interchangeable? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User
In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2019, 09:35
shabuzen102 wrote:
Dear Expert,

May I ask whether "moon rising" and "rising of the moon" are interchangeable? Thanks!

I am not an expert but I’d like to share my thoughts:
“The rising of the moon” is a noun phrase in which the noun is “the rising” and “of the moon” is a prepositional phrase that modifies the noun.
“The moon rising” is also a noun phrase in which the noun is “the moon” and the present participle “rising” modifies the noun.

The intended comparison is between the event of rising (of the moon) and the attack (of the Soviet missile). I think about the word “attack” and gets that it is an action that is abrupt at first and then progressive. This non-static nature is also seen in the word “rising”. Thus, "rising" and "attack" are in perfect parallel to each other.

If we use “moon rising”, the comparison is now between the moon and the attack -> not convey the intended meaning.
Hope that helps!

Posted from my mobile device
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2019, 09:30
Tracy95 wrote:
shabuzen102 wrote:
Dear Expert,

I am not an expert but I’d like to share my thoughts:
“The rising of the moon” is a noun phrase in which the noun is “the rising” and “of the moon” is a prepositional phrase that modifies the noun.
“The moon rising” is also a noun phrase in which the noun is “the moon” and the present participle “rising” modifies the noun.

The intended comparison is between the event of rising (of the moon) and the attack (of the Soviet missile). I think about the word “attack” and gets that it is an action that is abrupt at first and then progressive. This non-static nature is also seen in the word “rising”. Thus, "rising" and "attack" are in perfect parallel to each other.

If we use “moon rising”, the comparison is now between the moon and the attack -> not convey the intended meaning.
Hope that helps!

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you Tracy95, that makes sense!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 07:04
shabuzen102 wrote:
Dear Expert,

Let's start with this simple example:

• "Bob's fur is brown." - "fur" is a noun, so we use the possessive "Bob's" to qualify that noun

Now consider these two options:

• "Bob barking is keeping me awake."
  • "Bob's barking is keeping me awake."

Which is correct? Well, in this case, "barking" is acting like a noun (it's a gerund, if you like the jargon). Just as we need the possessive form when we write, "Bob's fur," we need a possessive to qualify "barking". So the first option is incorrect. "Moon rising" in (C) has the same problem.

And if you're looking for another reason to give (C) the boot, it uses an illogical idiom: "A newly installed radar warning system mistook the moon rising to a massive missile attack..." I can mistake one item for another, but I can't mistake one item to another. You don't have to memorize the idiom; you just need to recognize that the construction in (C) makes it sound as though the warning system is incorrectly transporting the "moon rising" to a "missile attack," which is utter nonsense.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 11:15
GMATNinja wrote:
shabuzen102 wrote:
Dear Expert,

• "Bob's fur is brown." - "fur" is a noun, so we use the possessive "Bob's" to qualify that noun

Which is correct? Well, in this case, "barking" is acting like a noun (it's a gerund, if you like the jargon). Just as we need the possessive form when we write, "Bob's fur," we need a possessive to qualify "barking". So the first option is incorrect. "Moon rising" in (C) has the same problem.

And if you're looking for another reason to give (C) the boot, it uses an illogical idiom: "A newly installed radar warning system mistook the moon rising to a massive missile attack..." I can mistake one item for another, but I can't mistake one item to another. You don't have to memorize the idiom; you just need to recognize that the construction in (C) makes it sound as though the warning system is incorrectly transporting the "moon rising" to a "missile attack," which is utter nonsense.

I hope that helps!

Thank you GMATNinja. That helped. Although I do feel uneasy since in some distant part of my memory I think that there were times that it's ok to use that gerund as a noun. How about a sentence like this?

"Him talking to me makes me feel sick"
What about "Jim talking to me makes me feel sick"? Would it be fine or should it have been "Jim's talking to me makes me feel sick?"

Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 16:50
shabuzen102 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
shabuzen102 wrote:
Dear Expert,

I hope that helps!

Thank you GMATNinja. That helped. Although I do feel uneasy since in some distant part of my memory I think that there were times that it's ok to use that gerund as a noun. How about a sentence like this?

"Him talking to me makes me feel sick"
What about "Jim talking to me makes me feel sick"? Would it be fine or should it have been "Jim's talking to me makes me feel sick?"

Thanks!

"Him talking to me makes me feel sick" - Here, "talking" is a gerund and acts like a noun! Think of a stripped down version of this sentence: "Talking makes me sick." The subject is "talking" (a noun) and the main verb is "makes".

Back to your example: whose talking makes me feel sick? HIS talking. Just as we needed the possessive form when we wrote, "Bob's fur" above, we need a possessive to qualify "talking".

You wouldn't say, "Bob fur is brown." For the same reason, "Jim talking..." or "him talking..." would be incorrect in your examples.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2019, 16:50

In the mid-1960's a newly installed radar warning system mistook the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics