Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [14]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Re: In the pantheon of great thinkers, Karl Marx certainly ranks as one of [#permalink]
Sajjad your RC postings are always tough and i don't think that they qualify in 600-700 category.I always try to avoid attempting your passages as i am not very good in RC, though trying to improve.Any suggestions to improve in RC?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the pantheon of great thinkers, Karl Marx certainly ranks as one of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
prashant6923 wrote:
Sajjad your RC postings are always tough and i don't think that they qualify in 600-700 category.I always try to avoid attempting your passages as i am not very good in RC, though trying to improve.Any suggestions to improve in RC?

Hi prashant6923

As your iD Suggests you are indian (Maybe i am wrong) and a non native speaker of English. My first and foremost Advice is "Read English and Understand it"
Read english newspapers, watch english movies, practice good quality passages and learn strategies first from 1. Aristotle RC Grail, 2. Manhattan RC Guide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
hi SajjadAhmad

When I tried this question, my decision was between A and D. Can you please explain why #3, choice D has an incorrect meaning? In the first paragraph, the author mentions global power relations; in the second, balance of power on a global level; in the third, world capitalist system. It seemed like these are all in line to D's wording, "a globlal setting".

Also, can you please explain why #4 is not D?

Thank you!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gotcha9350

Official Explanation

4. As used in the passage, the phrase “world capitalist system” most likely refers to

Explanation

This is a supporting idea question. The phrase is used in the final paragraph.The author says the world capitalist system “has less and less relevance when applied to the variety of economies at work in the world.” So the phrase must apply to a system that does not have a lot of variety. Choice C matches this description. Choices A and B are not supported by the passage. The Marxist scholars have failed to account for transitional economies, not the system itself, so choice D is a clever trap answer. Choice E quotes the wrong part of the passage and is not supported by the passage.

Answer: C

Hope it helps

gotcha9350 wrote:
hi SajjadAhmad

When I tried this question, my decision was between A and D. Can you please explain why #3, choice D has an incorrect meaning? In the first paragraph, the author mentions global power relations; in the second, balance of power on a global level; in the third, world capitalist system. It seemed like these are all in line to D's wording, "a globlal setting".

Thank you!

Originally posted by Sajjad1994 on 12 Jul 2018, 23:35.
Last edited by Sajjad1994 on 27 Mar 2019, 12:09, edited 5 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
What is the answer of Q-2??

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [2]
Given Kudos: 209
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
In Question 3,
(A)Global power relations are too complex to be effectively explained in terms of a single variable.
Author agrees with this as inferred from the following excerpt:
Quote:
...On a theoretical level, it may be useful to strip away these concepts to more closely examine certain other dynamics at work, but the Marxist view often fails to describe what actually happens in the real world....
Correct

(B)The Marxist view of global relations should be abandoned because of its failures to accurately describe the world.
Since it is not explicitly mentioned in the passage.
Incorrect

(C)The economies of China, Russia, and Korea will eventually transition to fully fledged capitalism.
Not mentioned in the passage, hence we can't be sure about this.
Incorrect

(D) Marx’s followers have misrepresented his work in an effort to apply his economic ideas to a global setting.[/b]
This implies all followers misrepresented his work, which is not mentioned in the passage which only limits the information to
Quote:
...it has been said that no thinker has ever had his words more badly misrepresented, by supporters and detractors alike, than Karl Marx....
Incorrect

(E)Any view of global relationships must include concepts of nationalism, security, and the state in order to accurately describe the world.
The phrase, "must include" makes it a necessity for every global relationship to have the mentioned characteristics to accurately describe the world. But we are only limited to the following information regarding this:
Quote:
...Thus, when analyzing the balance of power on a global level, key concepts such as nationalism, security, and the state are virtually ignored by Marxist scholars...
Incorrect

In Question 4

(C) a homogeneity among the economies of the countries of the world
This is clearly inferred from the following:
Quote:
...Marxist political scientists typically refer to the “world capitalist system” when analyzing interactions among nations, but this definition has less and less relevance when applied to the variety of economies at work in the world...

Correct

(D) a system that fails to take into account developing or transitional economies
Nowhere in the passage is this explicitly mentioned, hence incorrect.
Incorrect

I hope this helps! :)

Cheers!

A Kudos won't hurt (just saying)

gotcha9350 wrote:
hi SajjadAhmad

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [2]
Given Kudos: 209
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
The answer for Question 2 is Option D

A. refute an argument about the viability of Communism as an economic system It doesn't refute anything about Communism as an economic system.
B. highlight an example of a country in which Communism has failed to take hold. [passage says, "...even after generations of one-party Communist rule...."]. I'd say it is inconsistent with the information in the passage.
C. demonstrate how theoretical descriptions of nationalism conform to real world examples Inconsistent with the information in the passage. The theoretical descriptions don't conform to real world examples is what the author wanted to imply.
D. provide an illustration of a deficiency in the viewpoint held by certain scholars Certain scholars is not all scholars, maybe a few, maybe even one. Which follows correctly from the passage.
E. prove that Marxist scholars have been unable to accurately describe the real world
It doesn't intend to prove anything of the sort as it is not mentioned in the passage.

I hope this helps!

yashwanthnallam wrote:
What is the answer of Q-2??

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos won't hurt. (Just saying) :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
SajjadAhmad thank you for the response to #4. However, it seems like the transitional and developing economies is referred to by the passage
Quote:
when analyzing interactions among nations, but this definition has less and less relevance when applied to the variety of economies at work in the world. Where do countries with transitional or developing economies such as China, Russia, and North Korea fit into this schema?
. It seems like this is a rhetorical question, in which "schema" refers to the "world capitalist system".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
This is a great passage, definitely 700 level, tests inference skills perfectly, subtlety in answer choices is of utmost importance in difficult questions, one must typically avoid extreme choices in difficult questions.

4 mins - all correct for me, happy to help if required.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
2/2 here for me. was a truly difficult set of questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts