Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which school to choose

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Re: Insead($) 18 Jan Intake vs Ross -Urgent decision [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I'll make it easy for you: do you want to work in the U.S. post-MBA, or do you see yourself applying for jobs in Europe and Asia?

That's the only question you need to ask yourself, because it's going to be MUCH easier to get a job in the U.S. if you graduate from Ross (Michigan), and it is going to MUCH easier getting a job in Asia and the Europe, if you graduate from INSEAD (over Ross).

So, if you can answer that one question, your problem is solved.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAIvy wrote:
I'll make it easy for you: do you want to work in the U.S. post-MBA, or do you see yourself applying for jobs in Europe and Asia?

That's the only question you need to ask yourself, because it's going to be MUCH easier to get a job in the U.S. if you graduate from Ross (Michigan), and it is going to MUCH easier getting a job in Asia and the Europe, if you graduate from INSEAD (over Ross).

So, if you can answer that one question, your problem is solved.

Yes, I realized this is the key question that I should answer, while it perhaps all depends on where I want to work and live in the long run.

However, as someone who has never lived in US or EU, it's almost impossible for me to answer this question. :(

If considering location as a key factor, I probably should choose Ross since it's a two-year program with more space to explore, and US seems to have more job opportunities for an international student like me who cannot speak any European language except English.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Congratulations on getting into two great programs!

INSEAD is a consulting machine, placing 50% of grads into consulting jobs and roles - mostly Europe and Asia and it seems to be doing strong despite the up and downs in the European economy and politics. You seem to have an idea about career switchers into consulting at both programs.

P.S. Amazon opportunities are very competitive - I have not heard of any my Ross contacts get selected for it despite interviews/etc. Also Amazon is a beast of its own. It is not like they don't hire from other programs.

Thank you! Very helpful information and inspirations from the program reviews and historical discussions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Insead($) 18 Jan Intake vs Ross -Urgent decision [#permalink]
rtbs15 wrote:
Sorry if I seem condescending but despite all the explanations you'll be given about placement, etc, etc. (which you can find yourself), if you're really doubting this, you probably belong and should go to Ross.

I mean, just look at the alumni and the places you can go with one and with the other. It is a no brainer but again, if you're doubting this you clearly didn't understand one of the 2 value propositions and should go to Ross.

Sorry don't mean to be disrespectful, but I am appalled.

Thank you for your input. If you would be so kind to give some analysis based on the two value proposition, it will be really helpful...because such hesitation and "doubt" seem to be very common among Chinese students and many believe it's a very hard decision...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 491 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Management consulting is one of those jobs where you do not really require prerequisite consulting experience... it's all about how well you perform during the interview. I believe both school offers strong support on this front. I think at the end of the day, other than your long-term location, you need to ask yourself what is more important to you. I am not sure of what is important to you regarding the MBA program but with INSEAD and Ross on the table, try asking yourself what's more important: long-term mobility or long-term experience.

LT Mobility (INSEAD) - INSEAD will allow you to work in multiple countries. An MBA from INSEAD is no joke and I think the alumni presence itself is very strong in Asia and EU. If you are a high performing individual, you will get a high chance of travelling between Asian/EU for jobs. You are given the opportunity, of which not a lot people can acquire, to utilize a truly global network. You will not have this ease of access with Ross.

LT Experience (Ross) - Ross will give you a great time during their MBA program. You will gain the US MBA experience and maybe a job in the US later in life. The school will allow you to look for non-consulting opportunities. The 2 year program will allow you to re-orient yourself for a new career. Ross will open more career doors because of the time the program gives you. Ross' alumni will be very strong in the US and you will get mobility within the country... I am not sure about global mobility.

So what's more important? If I were you, I would choose INSEAD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
superpinkcat wrote:
rtbs15 wrote:
Sorry if I seem condescending but despite all the explanations you'll be given about placement, etc, etc. (which you can find yourself), if you're really doubting this, you probably belong and should go to Ross.

I mean, just look at the alumni and the places you can go with one and with the other. It is a no brainer but again, if you're doubting this you clearly didn't understand one of the 2 value propositions and should go to Ross.

Sorry don't mean to be disrespectful, but I am appalled.

Thank you for your input. If you would be so kind to give some analysis based on the two value proposition, it will be really helpful...because such hesitation and "doubt" seem to be very common among Chinese students and many believe it's a very hard decision...

INSEAD provides a one of a kind experience in terms of diversity. You will be sharing classes with hundreds of indviduals from all over with very different backgrounds and experiences. It has solid placement in EU and Asia, together with arguably the best connections in every other region but the US.

It has a solid reputation for placement, pedigree of the alumni (2nd business school in the world with the most CEOs in Fortune 500), strong placement in top tier consulting, across all regions of the world, and at least in my cohort, the best placement by a landslide in the most difficult office (London). Attracts hundreds of companies who actively recruit on campus, and has excellent ties to the top Corporate development programmes. Finance? Same situation, with a lower tendency to pursue those careers.

Subjectively, the caliber of the class and diversity is a real eye opener if you´re looking for a truly international mindset, and making business all around the world. God knows it is the most valuable asset, at least in my case, where I work across the 5 continents. The community is unparalleled, with very prominent alumni who will help you every step of the way if needed. It is also one year where you condense the same syllabus, so its doable, and you socialize in a fast paced, super cool environment, as the lifestyle is just awesome. Of course this also brings financial advantages.

Don´t take it the wrong way, but I shouldn´t be telling you this. An MBA is a huge investment and you should know what are you looking for, and who is going to give it to you. If you´re looking for rankings, just check the only one in the world that compares them on fair grounds, and if you wanna be misled by the US centric, tremendously ignorant set of individuals that sometimes troll this forum, I think you´re better off with Ross.

But bottomline, one will take you arguably anywhere in the world, in the top positions including the US (it´s just a bit more of handholding than Asia/EU), and the other one is, let´s put it this way, extremely different.

Hope this helps you towards making the best decision for yourself.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts