Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Insead vs Ross

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Re: Insead vs Ross [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tyrion wrote:
Thanks for your comment. As a background, I've worked in Tech Consulting in Aus for the last 5 years. The companies are SMEs with local presence only but I've had the opportunity to work for some big clients on some very interesting projects. Do you think having that internship in the middle is safe seeing as how I don't come from globally established companies?

You will definitely need help in the US as there is a stigma here about hiring people with international experience - it does not count as much unless it was in the US or unless it was a very well known US company - basically international experience gets discounted if it was with a local/not well known company. However, I am not sure how it will work in Europe or Asia and whether you can perhaps leverage it to get a foot in the door with your target employers there.

Your other big decision point is geo location after graduation. It is hard to speculate as to H1B or Work situation in Europe in 18 months but one thing is for sure, if you want to be in the US, then Ross is the choice, and if you want Europe or Asia, then INSEAD would be better there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
tyrion wrote:
Thanks for your comment. As a background, I've worked in Tech Consulting in Aus for the last 5 years. The companies are SMEs with local presence only but I've had the opportunity to work for some big clients on some very interesting projects. Do you think having that internship in the middle is safe seeing as how I don't come from globally established companies?

You will definitely need help in the US as there is a stigma here about hiring people with international experience - it does not count as much unless it was in the US or unless it was a very well known US company - basically international experience gets discounted if it was with a local/not well known company. However, I am not sure how it will work in Europe or Asia and whether you can perhaps leverage it to get a foot in the door with your target employers there.

Your other big decision point is geo location after graduation. It is hard to speculate as to H1B or Work situation in Europe in 18 months but one thing is for sure, if you want to be in the US, then Ross is the choice, and if you want Europe or Asia, then INSEAD would be better there.

Thanks. A lot to think about. For the long term, what are your thoughts on Michigan's brand value outside of the US?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tyrion wrote:
Thanks. A lot to think about. For the long term, what are your thoughts on Michigan's brand value outside of the US?

We can talk about this for a while but the way I see it, the only reason either program would make sense is if you are planning to stick around that particular GEO area after graduation. You don't go to INSEAD if you want to live/work in the US and going to Ross to end up in SE Asia is not the best plan either. I think you really have to decide on where you want to be Geographically. If you want the most options then INSEAD is your choice. Pick Ross only if you are planning to stick around the US.

As to your question, I think University of Michigan would be well known for a number of their Undergrad and Mech Engineering degrees just in terms of awareness. However, in the long term, you would leverage your professional network and your industry connections. I would hope you would not have to rely on your bschool network 10 years after graduation - it is a long shot and usually is not very productive that far out.

Overall, I think most of the folks from Ross are in the US. I know of a few at least that were offered great positions in Europe (and they could not find anything better in the US, so they have moved on but it is a small number - around 5% annually take jobs outside of the US. (Wharton is 15% for example and that's one of the highest numbers). The reason for the low numbers is anyone who goes to bschool in the US usually wants to stay here afterwards or changes their mind to come back. I know I did - all my friends were in the US, my new network was here and everything that I have built/setup back home was mostly coming apart as I did not have the bandwidth to maintain it or keep in touch. BSchool is a very rigorous experience and you have to make some trade offs.

Getting in touch with some current students is always helpful. Reach out to Admissions team and see if they can connect you. Something may sway you.
Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
tyrion wrote:

We can talk about this for a while but the way I see it, the only reason either program would make sense is if you are planning to stick around that particular GEO area after graduation. You don't go to INSEAD if you want to live/work in the US and going to Ross to end up in SE Asia is not the best plan either. I think you really have to decide on where you want to be Geographically. If you want the most options then INSEAD is your choice. Pick Ross only if you are planning to stick around the US.

As to your question, I think University of Michigan would be well known for a number of their Undergrad and Mech Engineering degrees just in terms of awareness. However, in the long term, you would leverage your professional network and your industry connections. I would hope you would not have to rely on your bschool network 10 years after graduation - it is a long shot and usually is not very productive that far out.

Overall, I think most of the folks from Ross are in the US. I know of a few at least that were offered great positions in Europe (and they could not find anything better in the US, so they have moved on but it is a small number - around 5% annually take jobs outside of the US. (Wharton is 15% for example and that's one of the highest numbers). The reason for the low numbers is anyone who goes to bschool in the US usually wants to stay here afterwards or changes their mind to come back. I know I did - all my friends were in the US, my new network was here and everything that I have built/setup back home was mostly coming apart as I did not have the bandwidth to maintain it or keep in touch. BSchool is a very rigorous experience and you have to make some trade offs.

Getting in touch with some current students is always helpful. Reach out to Admissions team and see if they can connect you. Something may sway you.
Good Luck!

Great advice. Thanks for your help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
tyrion wrote:
bb wrote:
tyrion wrote:

Good Luck!

Great advice. Thanks for your help.

I am in a very similar position as you. I am from Australia and have been admitted to both INSEAD and Ross as well as few other schools. I already decided to go to INSEAD so I maybe a bit biased here, but here are my 2 cents.

It really depends on where you want to work. From what I have gathered from students & alums at INSEAD, it is fairly difficult to land a MBB (or any consulting gig) in the U.S unless you are from there. But consulting placement overall seems great even without internship, it is nicknamed MckInsead after all. :)

From what I have gathered, if you are dead set on doing consulting after graduation and devote all your effort in networking and prepping for interviews from the start you'd have a good chance in landing a consulting role after graduation. If you want a little more time to venture out and find out what you want to do then as bb said 10 month would be not enough time.

Personally, I am more interested in working in consulting in HK/Singapore region so I decided to go to INSEAD for its global brand and it is well regarded in Asia and in Europe. Not saying Michigan's brand name is bad, but as you said it is more well-known in the U.S then outside of the U.S.

Send me a PM if you would like to discuss more and good luck!

Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the offer. I'll shoot you a message.

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Really great advice above. Nice job fellas. The only thing I will add is the culture of these two programs is VERY different and thus sow ill be your overall experience so make sure you keep in mind how you want your overall b-school experience to be
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I've encountered similar situation and we share quite similar CG and thoughts in terms of pros and cons of both schools.

Which school did choose in the end?

Really appreciated it if I could can get your contact.

Thank you!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
superpinkcat wrote:
I've encountered similar situation and we share quite similar CG and thoughts in terms of pros and cons of both schools.

Which school did choose in the end?

Really appreciated it if I could can get your contact.

Thank you!

You may want to PM them (send a private message) as this user has not been on GMAT Club for a year. PM will more likely to make it to them.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts