GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 00:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Jan 2019 Intake (Class of Dec 2019)

new topic post reply Update application status  
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Jan 2019 Intake (Class of Dec 2019)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 15:45
shettytarun wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
merlion wrote:
[quote="hermi"]Hi,

I also do have a v quick question. I was wondering how binding the word limitations are, and what is the acceptable number of words on top of the pre-determined limit?
For example for Essay 3 (word limit is 300), I have 350 words. Is that ok?

Thanks

Perhaps the rules have changed recently. I just submitted my application, and it would not allow me to submit until I was within the official word limit.
Wow! Thank you so much for reporting this that's extremely helpful to know. Yes that's very unusual. In the past they have not been that strict.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Hi, I am facing the same problem. I am not able to submit my application as I have exceeded the word limit but its still within 10% excess of the word limit.

Essay 1 - 541 / 500
Essay 2 - 436 / 400
Essay 3 - 310 / 300

I have spent months on the essays to reduce at this point will be a huge challenge. I have sent a mail to INSEAD, hoping it's just a bug and they will correct it.

Has anyone else come across this problem and tried to reach INSEAD, your replies will help. Thanks[/quote]I'm sorry you're experiencing this yes that completely sucks. I've never seen anything like this. Often the letter of recommendation is done over text box and even then for every single school there is at least a 10% allotment. Not sure if they're just deciding to crack down or if there is a problem. Do keep us updated.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

VP
VP
P
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Jan 2019 Intake (Class of Dec 2019)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 15:53
homaiooni wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
homaiooni wrote:
Dear MBAPrepCoach,
I have read your points on recommendation letters. I have one more question in this regard. The recommendation form has 6 questions. Approximately how long the answers have to be by the recommender? I mean how many words for each question is reasonable?
If you are applying to other schools, which you frankly should, take a look at the limitations for those first. That way you don't have to go back to your recommender over and over to have them craft another letter for the word limit of that school. So I tend to go with the most restrictive word limit.. and then see what else could be added that needs to be added for schools that have a more generous limit. At least we have a core we can work from and then add other examples.

Don't think of this is a free-for-all, these are already very long applications and so they're giving you this opportunity so that if something does need to be expressed you can but by no means is this a challenge for you to fill up the application with a bunch of unnecessary blither. More is not better at all ever.

I would recommend you really focus on what the claims are that you want to make what are the things about your candidacy that you're establishing. My approach is that we take your brand and then use many different examples to demonstrate that brand.

So take the claim statement and then give them two examples of how you illustrate that maybe three. I would definitely not go over 700 words for any one question and stick to 500 if possible. Which is standard and generally the guideline for a lot of programs.

Wow! 500 words is more than enough for answering each recommendation letter's question. Thank you very much.
Talking about word limits, I have another question. What is the maximum words you suggest for short answer questions (job essays)? I have read in some websites that they should be no more than 300 words, but it's not possible for me to explain my career path within this limit.
homaiooni Well 500 Words is actually just right on the money and not really more than enough. Almost all schools allow for you to do 500 words so I would encourage you to get to that number. If you're doing a lot less than that you are leaving money on the table.

Generally that's the amount of words you need to really make a couple of strong claims about someone and give clear detailed examples beginning middle and end demonstrating how they embody those qualities.

Your question about the short answer job essays... I would agree that 300 words is good to strive for, but if you need more you need more and I don't think skipping information makes sense. its a suggested limit for a reason and I think it's for these types of situations.

That's said I'm not absolutely sure about whether this is an upload or text box situation. I don't recall? Given the situation described above you might want to test the text box and see what it's going to accept first before writing a bunch of stuff in vain.

Farrell Dyan

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2018, 22:23
Hi everyone - I posted this in another forum and thought I would here as well to help guide you.
This is what a solid app looks like. Or rather, what I do, and so far so good.

Resume: Every single word has a purpose. It uses universal language instead of industry jargon. It contains resume bullets that are one line, focusing on actions and quantifiable achievements. If not a quantifiable achievement, something that speaks to human motivations, such as saving time and improving a process. Anyone from any industry would be able to step into your resume, and comprehend the value of what you have done. There is space to breathe on the page. It has white space, and the reader feels good when they look at it. It looks inviting. It has simple elegance.

Essays: The essays use anecdotes and examples that are written in chronological order. The reader can mentally see the story unfold. The story is told in brief sentences in a way that is accessible to a broad audience. Each essay shows a different side of you, yet all of them feel authentic, sincere, and accessible. They demonstrate self-awareness, personal growth, leadership and results-orientation. You reach the reader on both an analytical and emotional level.

Letters of recommendation: The recommender can “see” you – see the uniqueness of you – and articulate that eloquently. The letter is comprised chiefly of clear, specific anecdotes that point to your talents in the area of problem-solving, teamwork, leadership, communication and innovation. The reader is emotionally moved by the content and, ideally, wants to champion you to the adcom in quite the same way as the writer.

Online application: Twitter on steroids. Elevator pitch. Distills valuable information about you clearly and succinctly. Everything illustrates qualities that business schools value – strategic thinking, results orientation, etc. Employment section gives the reader a clear, succinct understanding of the experience you’ve gained, employing simple, universal language. The activities and awards point to the overall brand that you set forth in other aspects of the application.

Farrell Dyan

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 21:58
Hi I’m working on writing an optional essay to justify my lower (Q47-63%) than recommended quant score. What would be the best strategy without sounding like I’m making excuses? I’ve got an undergrad degree in pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Sciences. It’s not quite engineering but still has some quant emphasis. Also, not an excellent GPA, albeit from a competitive school- would that need justification as well?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 22:13
gy88 wrote:
Hi I’m working on writing an optional essay to justify my lower (Q47-63%) than recommended quant score. What would be the best strategy without sounding like I’m making excuses? I’ve got an undergrad degree in pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Sciences. It’s not quite engineering but still has some quant emphasis. Also, not an excellent GPA, albeit from a competitive school- would that need justification as well?

gy88

Take a close look at what I wrote to you on March 4th this answers your questions.

With regards to GPA, if it's really bad address it if it's kind of middle-of-the-road only address that if you have a substantive reason like some type of Health crisis or a death or something.

Farrell Dyan

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 22:24
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
gy88 wrote:

gy88

Take a close look at what I wrote to you on March 4th this answers your questions.

With regards to GPA, if it's really bad address it if it's kind of middle-of-the-road only address that if you have a substantive reason like some type of Health crisis or a death or something.

Thanks sorry about that- your earlier response did answer my question. Would 3.25/5 GPA, from a school ranked top 15 in the world in most ranking, fall into the really bad category?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 22:30
gy88 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
gy88 wrote:

gy88

Thanks sorry about that- your earlier response did answer my question. Would 3.25/5 GPA, from a school ranked top 15 in the world in most ranking, fall into the really bad category?

No worries. On the GPA unfortunately I really don't know, it's all very contextual and depends upon the level of grade inflation where you were etcetera. You might think about your class ranking, would a graduate from that school be considered handicapped with that kind of GPA? Hope this gives you something to consider.

Given that you were at a top-15, this probably doesn't apply to you but I want others to know if you went to school in an out-of-the-way place always think about doing WES.

http://wes.org

Farrell Dyan

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 05:12
I got an email from INSEAD, this year onwards word count in essays is strict adherence and no excess words will be allowed.

Everyone applying in upcoming rounds please make a note of this.
VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 05:23
:shocked :shocked :shocked no other schools are doing this!
shettytarun THANK YOU for investigating this and letting everyone know.
Can you please post this in the September batch thread? If not I can
shettytarun wrote:
I got an email from INSEAD, this year onwards word count in essays is strict adherence and no excess words will be allowed.

Farrell Dyan

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 06:30
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
:shocked :shocked :shocked no other schools are doing this!
shettytarun THANK YOU for investigating this and letting everyone know.
Can you please post this in the September batch thread? If not I can
shettytarun wrote:

I was surprised too because the website still mentions 10% excess is acceptable. I have replied in my email to them for the correction to be done.

This will especially be a problem for last minute applications.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 07:25
Hi guys,

Just submitted my application, thank you so much MBAPrepCoach for your help in the last moments.

In the motivational essays, the word count requires strict adherence. Don't rely on word counts in MS word, and instead check directly on the admissions portal. Characters like "-" are counted as an extra word, and even if you are a single word above the stipulated word limit, you will not be able to submit the application (as it shows it as an "error"). I had to do some last minute changes in the essays.

On to the video interviews now, good luck to everyone else who is applying!
VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 07:44
Nomad2461 wrote:
Hi guys,

Just submitted my application, thank you so much MBAPrepCoach for your help in the last moments.

In the motivational essays, the word count requires strict adherence. Don't rely on word counts in MS word, and instead check directly on the admissions portal. Characters like "-" are counted as an extra word, and even if you are a single word above the stipulated word limit, you will not be able to submit the application (as it shows it as an "error"). I had to do some last minute changes in the essays.

Nomad2461 You are welcome! Congrats, and thanks for taking the time to let everyone know about the new word limit enforcement :cry:

I have a blog on my website with known video questions - please send me as many video questions as you remember, pretty please?
They are different each year - however the blog should be helpful in answering at least half of them.

Farrell Dyan

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 13:32
Hi everyone + Nomad2461 - here is the link to my blog including all known INSEAD video questions. Recommend you at least think of what you might say for each of these; for some, develop a STAR outline (see article.)

These change every year so it won't be a complete list but I think at least 3 should be represented in the bunch you get. PLEASE send me yours! Pay it forward.... :D

https://mbaessaycoaching.com/category/video-interviewing/

Farrell Dyan

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 22:59
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi everyone + Nomad2461 - here is the link to my blog including all known INSEAD video questions. Recommend you at least think of what you might say for each of these; for some, develop a STAR outline (see article.)

These change every year so it won't be a complete list but I think at least 3 should be represented in the bunch you get. PLEASE send me yours! Pay it forward.... :D

1. What does diversity mean to you?
2. Describe a time when understanding someone’s perspective helped you to understand them better?
3. How would insead Mba help you in your career objectives?
4. Describe a time when you got a negative feedback from a supervisor/professor, How did it make you feel?

Was a pretty nerve wrecking experience, hope I did ok and thanks for your help mbaprepcoach- you’re an angel in disguise !

I have a question now that my application is submitted - is there any point in redoing my gmat to get a higher than 690 score ? I know it may help for people interested in consulting. But is there any other point, like getting off the waitlist in case that happens

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 20:25
Nomad2461 wrote:
Hi guys,

I am working on my essays for R2 and thank god you told us that. INSEAD is making competition so tough!!

Not Giving UP! Kudos if you like the question :)

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 22:46
gy88 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

2. Describe a time when understanding someone’s perspective helped you to understand them better?
4. Describe a time when you got a negative feedback from a supervisor/professor, How did it make you feel?

Was a pretty nerve wrecking experience, hope I did ok and thanks for your help mbaprepcoach- you’re an angel in disguise !

I have a question now that my application is submitted - is there any point in redoing my gmat to get a higher than 690 score ? I know it may help for people interested in consulting. But is there any other point, like getting off the waitlist in case that happens

gy88
thank you! Well, I do kind of look like a cherub lol thanks for the kind words.
REALLY appreciate the video questions, very helpful.
When interviewed, Caroline Duarte said that INSEAD uses the video essay questions as a reason to INCLUDE someone rather than a reason to EXCLUDE someone. So it's kind of like the last chance at the dance if you didnt wow them on paper (with respect to other applicants, of course..its all relative.)
Hopefully that will put you at ease somewhat.
YES, on redoing the GMAT - had you been my client I would have instructed you to include that info in your optional essay along with the date.
But if you get interviews make that #1 priority. Because often, if you are WL, it is due to GMAT and then you can finish the job. However there is no going back on the interviews.
Hope this helps and keep us up to date on your journey!

Farrell Dyan

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 22:51
Cbirole wrote:
Nomad2461 wrote:
Hi guys,

I am working on my essays for R2 and thank god you told us that. INSEAD is making competition so tough!!

Cbirole

Agreed. Very odd that they still have 10% allowance OK on the website but cracking the whip on word limit.
It's a pain in the a$$ but wouldn't say it is making the competition tougher; everyone applying is impacted by this (or at least I hope!)
Imagine the poor people who won't be able to prepare for this.

Farrell Dyan

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Mar 2018, 07:31
Hi Everyone! I just posted a video I created
**Strengths & Weaknesses - INSEAD Motivation Essay 1** as a *new topic* here.

Really encourage you to START NOW on that essay if you are going for R2. Check it out!

Farrell Dyan

Originally posted by MBAPrepCoach on 16 Mar 2018, 23:37.
Last edited by MBAPrepCoach on 18 Mar 2018, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 01:12
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
gy88 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

gy88
thank you! Well, I do kind of look like a cherub lol thanks for the kind words.
REALLY appreciate the video questions, very helpful.
When interviewed, Caroline Duarte said that INSEAD uses the video essay questions as a reason to INCLUDE someone rather than a reason to EXCLUDE someone. So it's kind of like the last chance at the dance if you didnt wow them on paper (with respect to other applicants, of course..its all relative.)
Hopefully that will put you at ease somewhat.
YES, on redoing the GMAT - had you been my client I would have instructed you to include that info in your optional essay along with the date.
But if you get interviews make that #1 priority. Because often, if you are WL, it is due to GMAT and then you can finish the job. However there is no going back on the interviews.
Hope this helps and keep us up to date on your journey!

Thanks coach. Reckon there’s any point in feeding them my updated gmat improved results prior to final decision release? Like would it be considered in final decision? Or only if I’m waitlisted?

Also I would rather start now to prepare than wait for interview decision. Juggling interviews preparation and gmat would not be a position I’d want to be in

And would defo keep you posted.

VP
VP
P

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 01:20
Oh by all means if you improve your GMAT update your AO immediately. I was just saying not to neglect interview preparation if you happen to do those in parallel. Good luck!!

Farrell Dyan

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Jan 2019 Intake (Class of Dec 2019) &nbs [#permalink] 17 Mar 2018, 01:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29    Next  [ 578 posts ] 

Calling all Applicants: INSEAD Jan 2019 Intake (Class of Dec 2019)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap