Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.76
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Real Estate (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
Re: INSEAD -January 2014 Intake - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
ChickenTikka wrote:
ducceus wrote:
ChickenTikka wrote:
Well, I just had a really good chat with a friend of mine who graduated from Insead two years ago. He did not have much insight on the interview. But the things he told me about the program and the school sound great. I'm really pumped about it now, which is kind of bad because I don't want to get disappointed. Oh well!

He said the GMAT wasn't that important but of course he got a 760 'cause he's really smart. If I got a 760, I'd be happy to tell people with a score that's 100 points lower than mine that the "GMAT doesn't matter" too.

how about I tell you GMAT doesnt matter. I got a 650 and I think I will get in. The power of positive thinking, right :D ?

I like your style man. :-D

I'm really excited to have this application "process" effectively behind me. Just two more interviews and it's done forever! I'm seeing the light.

The way I see. Our MBA candidacy started even before we apply to business school. Our background, who we were, who we are, and who we will be play an important part in INSEAD decision.

We did the best we can with the GMAT and the essays to demonstrate to INSEAD we are a good fit. At this point, I can have negative thought, be worry or I can have positive thought and be happy. Accepted or Rejected, If I am not good enough for INSEAD, I will try again next year (I am 27 by Jan 2014, so I still have sometime) at different schools.

You are in a better position since you had offers from other schools already, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. In addition, the school that you got in are INSEAD's competitors, so it tells them a lot of about your candidacy. If they see "gold" and they don't take it, it will be their lost.

This is a support group after all :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
cyberhawk wrote:
back in the university I was in selection process to go to the US as an exchange student. now it's the same. feel like 10 years younger

I came to the U.S as an exchange student also. This feels the same for me, except 10 years later lol.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Do you guys think its really a smart idea to tell them about the other schools that you have been accepted to? Not sure how I would go about letting them know that at this point (when I applied I'd only been accepted to ESADE). Is this something to mention in the interview?

I kinda worried that they would take this as a negative because they might be concerned about being a second choice? Maybe less so with ESADE and HEC but let's say Wharton had admitted me? ( I did not apply there)

P.S. I saw something interesting with regards to GMAT on youtube. The head of admissions said they look at the break down of your scores more closely than the combined score. They want to see that you can score in the 70th percentile on both Math and Verbal and not necessarily at the same time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ChickenTikka wrote:
Do you guys think its really a smart idea to tell them about the other schools that you have been accepted to? Not sure how I would go about letting them know that at this point (when I applied I'd only been accepted to ESADE). Is this something to mention in the interview?

I kinda worried that they would take this as a negative because they might be concerned about being a second choice? Maybe less so with ESADE and HEC but let's say Wharton had admitted me? ( I did not apply there)

It is all about presentation and how you say it. This is the consultant in me speaking: I would ask your interviewers when they apply to INSEAD, what other schools did they apply to, and why they choose INSEAD over the other school. This is one of the questions the interviewers might ask you anyways, might as well throw it back at them. Three case could come out of this.

1. If they said the INSEAD is the only school that they apply and get in, don't mentioned you got into the other school. Focus on saying how INSEAD fit you, and you will fit for INSEAD

2. If they said they also apply and didn't get into the other schools, and those school are the one you get into, don't mentioned it. Focus on saying how INSEAD fit you, and you will fit for INSEAD

3. If they said they also apply and got into the other schools, and those school are the one you get into. Ask them why they choose INSEAD over the others. Establish the common ground, then causally mentioned that INSEAD is your first choice (I hope it is), then mentioned that you also get into the other school, but INSEAD fit you so much, you can't pass up the opportunity.

Quote:
P.S. I saw something interesting with regards to GMAT on youtube. The head of admissions said they look at the break down of your scores more closely than the combined score. They want to see that you can score in the 70th percentile on both Math and Verbal and not necessarily at the same time.

Yes, I saw this too. If you take the GMAT multiple time. They will consider the highest of Quan, and the highest of Verbal. This is why I love INSEAD. Below is the quote from ASK INSEAD thread

Quote:
mattapraveen wrote:
Hi Camille,

I am planning to apply to the INSEAD 2013 Jan MBA programme. My question is with regards to the GMAT score. Unfortunately I have a mixed GMAT scores as follows: 660-Q49/V-31 & 690-Q46/V-38. I have heard from many sources that INSEAD takes the best of all the individual section GMAT scores. So it it right in assuming that INSEAD would consider my GMAT score as Q49/V38? Or, it that INSEAD takes into account only the latest score?

Please advice.

Praveen

Hi Praveen,
If a candidate has taken the GMAT twice and on the first test obtained a satisfactory percentile on one part of the test (eg above 70th percentile on quant) but a low percentile on the other part of the test (eg below 70th percentile on verbal) and vice versa on the second test (eg low quant score and high verbal score), we may consider that they have reached a sufficient level overall provided the second test does not show too significant a drop in the lower element. It is however preferable to see the higher scores on the same test.
So yes, we'll consider your score as Q49/V38.

Camille
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ChickenTikka wrote:

I think the best strategy is to tell the truth, but position it wisely:
1) when you tell the truth you sound naturally
2) ad com officer can double check if you were really admitted to another school. many ad com officer are actually colleagues and friends so they can use their connections to find the information informally
3) even with Wharton vs INSEAD there are many reasons to choose INSEAD. mentioning other top-notch schools may actually improve your chances. probably not with INSEAD, but other schools can even offer a scholarship to make strong candidates to choose them over competitors
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:

Some folks even claim their GMAT score as a combination of the highest scores from several actual gmat tests and then taking the overall score from the reference table from the gmatclub. To my mind, a bit too aggressive.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anyone know if we need to get local "Police Clearance" for the French student visa application for INSEAD? Spain is asking for this for ESADE and it looks like it might take the better part of a decade to get because of where I live. I'm hoping this is a Spain thing and not an entire EU thing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
ChickenTikka wrote:
Do you guys think its really a smart idea to tell them about the other schools that you have been accepted to? Not sure how I would go about letting them know that at this point (when I applied I'd only been accepted to ESADE).

Only tell them if the other schools are at least as good as INSEAD. So no, ESADE doesn't count. I would only mention other schools if it were M7 or LBS.

However, even in that case, I would always mention that INSEAD is your first choice. Because, it is, right? ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
ducceus wrote:
ChickenTikka wrote:
vjkumar wrote:
Received a mail about 2hrs ago. Got dinged.

Sorry to hear that. WIth a 760 GMAT you are clearly very bright and I'm sure you will do well so hang in there.

vjkumar,
How old are you ? and how much time you spend on writing the essay ?

Hi ducceus
I am almost 31. Spent a significant amount of time, perhaps 2-3hrs every day over a month, writing the essays. The essays were well written and specific. I worked in the field of equity research for 7 years, with a front end role for about 6 years. Got some international experience in the form of client roadshows. With this experience, I highlighted that I wanted to get into a leading AMC.

Possibly they are not confident about financial services placements. Possibly they prefer candidates with a consulting bent of mind.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
riseNshine wrote:
ziko wrote:
Just received something between rejection and invite - a letter of encouragement. Has anyone ever heard about it? Basically it states that we liked your profile and see a potential in you, but you need to improve your GMAT. We encourage you to reapply!
It was disappointing but still not a rejection :). To be honest this is what i kinda expected with my GMAT 610.

Good luck for everyone and do not give up, you will hear something good these days!

well its not an outright rejection,i suppose they are encouraging u to re-apply..go ahead buddy

Thank you for advice! I am thinking of retaking, but i am afraid not to this class, because i need at least 2-3 months to get to the desired level. So will be ready approximately by august, which is the deadline for round 3. I am lookind for a scholarship and any financial assisstance, while in round 3 you miss most of the deadlines for financial support. So now thinking of applying for the next class (Sep14). It is pitty because i was liiking for an internship opportunity, well will see how it goes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Hi ducceus
I am almost 31. Spent a significant amount of time, perhaps 2-3hrs every day over a month, writing the essays. The essays were well written and specific. I worked in the field of equity research for 7 years, with a front end role for about 6 years. Got some international experience in the form of client roadshows. With this experience, I highlighted that I wanted to get into a leading AMC.

Possibly they are not confident about financial services placements. Possibly they prefer candidates with a consulting bent of mind.

I dont know, man. My profile is not as good as you. I spend a lot of time writting essays tho. I also aim to go into finance. I am engineering consultant now, I want to switch to IB. Basically, I want to get an MBA, so I can get into IB. I am not sure why you need an MBA o.O

Originally posted by ducceus on 16 May 2013, 22:11.
Last edited by ducceus on 16 May 2013, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ziko wrote:
riseNshine wrote:
ziko wrote:
Just received something between rejection and invite - a letter of encouragement. Has anyone ever heard about it? Basically it states that we liked your profile and see a potential in you, but you need to improve your GMAT. We encourage you to reapply!
It was disappointing but still not a rejection :). To be honest this is what i kinda expected with my GMAT 610.

Good luck for everyone and do not give up, you will hear something good these days!

well its not an outright rejection,i suppose they are encouraging u to re-apply..go ahead buddy

Thank you for advice! I am thinking of retaking, but i am afraid not to this class, because i need at least 2-3 months to get to the desired level. So will be ready approximately by august, which is the deadline for round 3. I am lookind for a scholarship and any financial assisstance, while in round 3 you miss most of the deadlines for financial support. So now thinking of applying for the next class (Sep14). It is pitty because i was liiking for an internship opportunity, well will see how it goes.

How old are you ? why not wait a year and apply next Jan, so you got more time to prepare. I heard September intakes is hard to get internship. Jam intake give you better chance of internship
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
it's the deadline, 9 am in France. Good luck to all still awaiting for reply from INSEAD!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I have decided to go to LBS, so will decline my interviews.

One more potential space to fill - Good luck guys!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ducceus wrote:
Quote:
Hi ducceus

I dont know, man. My profile is not as good as you. I spend a lot of time writting essays tho. I also aim to go into finance. I am engineering consultant now, I want to switch to IB. Basically, I want to get an MBA, so I can get into IB. I am not sure why you need an MBA o.O

Yeah dude, you got me clobbered too. Something doesnt add up here. Do you not have any international experience? Did they maybe think you're more likely to go to Wharton or one of those? From what I gather about the school, if you don't do international they dont want you - end of story. Everything else is negotiable including GMAT. Do you not speak any foreign languages other than English? I'm assuming you are Indian so they might not really see it as a "foreign language" in your case.

Originally posted by ChickenTikka on 17 May 2013, 00:32.
Last edited by ChickenTikka on 17 May 2013, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kohsamed wrote:

Congrats. What was your basis for the choice?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
ChickenTikka wrote:
Kohsamed wrote:

Congrats. What was your basis for the choice?

LBS offered a scholarship (which seemed unlikely at INSEAD), preference of finance and slightly longer course made the decision for me. I definitely have a better fit at LBS rather than INSEAD. Variety of exchange opportunities at LBS was also a big draw, just a shame they don't do an exchange with INSEAD, would have been perfect :)

Would obviously have been very happy to go to INSEAD, but was an easy decision in the end.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23  ...  134   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts