GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 23:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 08:33
pakasaip wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
pakasaip wrote:
is the choice D can also be presented in this form?
" isolated from contact with Europeans longer than Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific and northern Alaska were "

Yes that's correct; in fact, this is quite a common pattern.

so that I can swap the location of Subject and Verb anytime, right?

thank you for your help

Not always.... in most cases the swap would be very awkward and unacceptable, especially in a main clause starting with a subject.

However such a swap may be acceptable in the following cases:
1. In a comparative dependent clause (e.g.: in the example above)
2. In a main clause when the clause starts with a prepositional phrase. (e.g. Beside the river lay a green field.)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 2.92
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 09:20
pakasaip wrote:
so that I can swap the location of Subject and Verb anytime, right?

thank you for your help

Not always.... in most cases the swap would be very awkward and unacceptable, especially in a main clause starting with a subject.

However such a swap may be acceptable in the following cases:
1. In a comparative dependent clause (e.g.: in the example above)
2. In a main clause when the clause starts with a prepositional phrase. (e.g. Beside the river lay a green field.)[/quote]

Thank you a lot ... this is so clear!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 05:26
I have shorted the options to C and D . The only reason i picked D is because . In GMAC grammar rules - as far as i know - Verb is preferred over noun.
So, IMO it must be D.
Expert Post
Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2017, 09:58
Top Contributor
Nightmare wrote
Quote:
I have shorted the options to C and D. The only reason I picked D is because. In GMAC, grammar rules - as far as I know - Verb is preferred over noun.
So, IMO it must be D.

Nightmare has hit the bull's eye yet again... In GMAT, there is a rule known as 'VAN" meaning that first prefer the verb (V), then the adjective (A), and finally the noun (N). This is the rule that has decided in favor of D over C.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 03:12
A, B, and E - to end with longer than "were" ....
Left with C and D - were in isolation in C is not a good choice, thus D is correct.

The idiom isolated from is correctly used in this sentence. The comparison is clear and unambiguous.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '18
WE: Consulting (Other)

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 07:48
This will help you understand this type of question better.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-far-elli ... 48973.html

Migatte no Gokui

DS Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 22:26
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 09:47
gmatbusters wrote:
HiGMATNinja, VeritasPrepKarishma

Don't you think, we should have "Aleuts or Inuits of the North Pacific FROM northern Alaska." in non underlined portion.

There's definitely nothing wrong with using "of" to indicate somebody's geographic origins, especially if we're talking about an entire group of people (or animals, such as the sloths "of the Greater Antilles...") who are in a particular location.

If we're being super-technical, "from" would arguably imply that you're no longer in that location, and have gone somewhere else. For the most part, there's no reason to say "I'm from Iowa" (stop laughing, Americans -- Iowa isn't that bad!) unless I'm either currently in a different location, or somebody in Iowa is giving me a funny look and asking me where I'm actually from, since I presumably don't look or sound like an Iowan.

Much more importantly: it's an absolute non-issue in the question, since "from" isn't one of the options! So there's no reason to even think about it. And more broadly, I'm not sure how valuable it is to obsess over idioms. They're pretty arbitrary, and there are more than 25,000 of them in English. More on idioms here.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Re: Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2018, 09:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Inuits of the Bering Sea were in isolation from contact with Europeans

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap