GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2019, 23:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is k < 0? (1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1 (2) |k - 2| = 7k

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 77
Location: India
Is k < 0? (1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1 (2) |k - 2| = 7k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Apr 2019, 20:25
2
2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (02:16) correct 70% (02:15) wrong based on 93 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is k < 0?

(1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1
(2) |k - 2| = 7k

_________________
Happy to receive feedback on my post. Please give kudos if you find my content interesting.

Originally posted by btrg on 16 Apr 2019, 09:06.
Last edited by chetan2u on 16 Apr 2019, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Corrected the OA
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 8182
Is k < 0? (1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1 (2) |k - 2| = 7k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 20:23
1
3
Is k < 0?

(1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1
Two cases..
2k+5=3k+1......k=4
-2k-5=3k+1......5k=-6 or k=-1.2
But substitute these values back in equation to check whether 3k+1\(\geq{0}\)..
3*4+1\(\geq{0}\)...Yes
3*(-1.2)+1\(\geq{0}\)..No
So k is 4, and sufficient

(2) |k - 2| = 7k
7k\(\geq{0}\), so k is not less than 0.
Sufficient

D..
The OA B is wrong, and the question has different possible values of k in each condition, which is never the case in official questions.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jun 2018
Posts: 13
Re: Is k < 0? (1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1 (2) |k - 2| = 7k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2019, 06:47
Why are we substituting the values and checking if 3k+1>=0?
Why have we considered >=0 to cross-check?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59095
Re: Is k < 0? (1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1 (2) |k - 2| = 7k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 10:48
2
1
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Aug 2017
Posts: 578
Re: Is k < 0? (1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1 (2) |k - 2| = 7k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 16:14
I think we need to heed the question stem.
Question is asking whether k is negative.

And from both cases, we conclude that k is non-negative.

Here, the value of K doesn't matter because question is not asking for value of k.
Therefore, question is not contentious.

Bunuel wrote:
btrg wrote:
Is k < 0?

(1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1
(2) |k - 2| = 7k


This is not a good question. From (1) we have that k = 4 and from (2) that k = 1/4. The statements contradict each other.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 59095
Re: Is k < 0? (1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1 (2) |k - 2| = 7k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 20:38
gvij2017 wrote:
I think we need to heed the question stem.
Question is asking whether k is negative.

And from both cases, we conclude that k is non-negative.

Here, the value of K doesn't matter because question is not asking for value of k.
Therefore, question is not contentious.

Bunuel wrote:
btrg wrote:
Is k < 0?

(1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1
(2) |k - 2| = 7k


This is not a good question. From (1) we have that k = 4 and from (2) that k = 1/4. The statements contradict each other.


You are wrong. It does not matter what the question is asking. On the GMAT two statements do not contradict each other.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is k < 0? (1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1 (2) |k - 2| = 7k   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2019, 20:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is k < 0? (1) |2k + 5| = 3k + 1 (2) |k - 2| = 7k

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne