Last visit was: 20 Jul 2024, 08:22 It is currently 20 Jul 2024, 08:22
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [10]
Given Kudos: 21
Location: United States
GMAT Date: 06-11-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94430
Own Kudos [?]: 642503 [6]
Given Kudos: 86706
Send PM
General Discussion
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 04 Mar 2012
Posts: 35
Own Kudos [?]: 1379 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94430
Own Kudos [?]: 642503 [5]
Given Kudos: 86706
Send PM
Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
2
Kudos
2
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gmihir wrote:
I believe the answer should be B.

As K^2 is always positive, we only need to check for value of m. Statement 1 says m can be -ve or +ve. Statement 2(2<m<4) confirms that m is always positive, hence answer is B. K^2/m is not less than 0.


The square of a number is not always positive, it's non-negative.

Is k^2/m < 0

k^2/m<0 to hold true k must not equal to zero AND m must be negative.

(1) -3 < k < 5. Not sufficient.
(2) 2 < m < 4. Since the second condition is already violated then the answer to the question is NO: \(\frac{k^2}{m}=\frac{nonnegative}{positive}=nonnegative\) . Sufficient.

Answer: B.
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 92
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Re: Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
4
Kudos
i also have chosen B, but then thought what if k=0, we don't know from the statements, so then answer should be E.
Did i miss anything?
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 92
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.9
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Re: Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
Excellent, i always forget that in such DS problems yes or no is sufficient.
Thanks!
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Dec 2011
Posts: 10
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Location: United States
Send PM
Re: Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
k^2 must be equal to m, then that is possible.
but here is not, in case of inequality + or - matters
Manager
Manager
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 52
Own Kudos [?]: 423 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Location: Canada
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
ziko wrote:
i also have chosen B, but then thought what if k=0, we don't know from the statements, so then answer should be E.
Did i miss anything?


Notice that if k=0 then k^2/m=0 and the answer to the question whether k^2/m<0 is still no.

Hope it's clear.

No the answer to this one could be C.

The stem asks is k^2/m<0
or u can write :
Is k^2*m < 0 ??
now u will wonder k^2 will always be positive.so it depends on m only whether the product is <0 or not.
But it is not the case.
As k could be an imaginary number say k = (-1)^0.5 or 'iota' as we call it, for which it fails.Since it is not mentioned here that k is a real number we cant guess on the nature on k. Thus we also need to determine the nature of k(real or imaginary).
And hence answer is C.



Give me kudos if u like my post !!
User avatar
Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 Apr 2012
Posts: 55
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Location: United States
GMAT Date: 06-11-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
That really helps! Thank you Bunuel! :-D
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94430
Own Kudos [?]: 642503 [1]
Given Kudos: 86706
Send PM
Re: Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
piyushksharma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ziko wrote:
i also have chosen B, but then thought what if k=0, we don't know from the statements, so then answer should be E.
Did i miss anything?


Notice that if k=0 then k^2/m=0 and the answer to the question whether k^2/m<0 is still no.

Hope it's clear.

No the answer to this one could be C.

The stem asks is k^2/m<0
or u can write :
Is k^2*m < 0 ??
now u will wonder k^2 will always be positive.so it depends on m only whether the product is <0 or not.
But it is not the case.
As k could be an imaginary number say k = (-1)^0.5 or 'iota' as we call it, for which it fails.Since it is not mentioned here that k is a real number we cant guess on the nature on k. Thus we also need to determine the nature of k(real or imaginary).
And hence answer is C.



Give me kudos if u like my post !!


Please notice that the GMAT is dealing only with real numbers.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 May 2009
Posts: 12
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT Date: 11-25-2012
GPA: 2.67
Send PM
Re: Need your help - DS (Inequalities) [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
gmihir wrote:
I believe the answer should be B.

As K^2 is always positive, we only need to check for value of m. Statement 1 says m can be -ve or +ve. Statement 2(2<m<4) confirms that m is always positive, hence answer is B. K^2/m is not less than 0.


The square of a number is not always positive, it's non-negative.

Is k^2/m < 0

k^2/m<0 to hold true k must not equal to zero AND m must be negative.

(1) -3 < k < 5. Not sufficient.
(2) 2 < m < 4. Since the second condition is already violated then the answer to the question is NO: \(\frac{k^2}{m}=\frac{non-negative}{positive}=non-negative\) . Sufficient.

Answer: B.



OA is given as C, can you please confirm the OA

Cheers
Manisha
Math Expert
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 94430
Own Kudos [?]: 642503 [0]
Given Kudos: 86706
Send PM
Re: Need your help - DS (Inequalities) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
magicmanisha wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
gmihir wrote:
I believe the answer should be B.

As K^2 is always positive, we only need to check for value of m. Statement 1 says m can be -ve or +ve. Statement 2(2<m<4) confirms that m is always positive, hence answer is B. K^2/m is not less than 0.


The square of a number is not always positive, it's non-negative.

Is k^2/m < 0

k^2/m<0 to hold true k must not equal to zero AND m must be negative.

(1) -3 < k < 5. Not sufficient.
(2) 2 < m < 4. Since the second condition is already violated then the answer to the question is NO: \(\frac{k^2}{m}=\frac{non-negative}{positive}=non-negative\) . Sufficient.

Answer: B.



OA is given as C, can you please confirm the OA

Cheers
Manisha


OA for this question is wrong. It should be B, not C.
avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 Jul 2014
Posts: 9
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
Stem: "k" will always be a non-negative number (or zero if k=0). To get the answer we need the values for "m".

i) "k" lies between -2 and 4. We do not know the values of "m". Insufficient.

ii) "m" is positve. We have two cases
Case a) When "k"= any number (any non zero number including decimals) and "m" is postive, then k^2/m>0
Eg: k=3 and m=3 --> 9/3=3 --> 3 > 0
Eg: k=-3 and m=3 --> 9/3=3 --> 3 > 0

Case b) When k=0 and m=3
k^2/m=0. We are asked to find k^2/m<0. Therefore 0<0 is not possible. Case b is invalid.

Therefore using case a, B is sufficient to answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 27
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Location: India
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
a) k^2 will always be positive. No information on m. Not sufficient. (cancel A,D)

b) 2<m<4; non negative/positive>0
Sufficient (answer B)
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 May 2021
Posts: 11
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
Is K^2/M < 0?

(1) -3 < K < 5
(2) 2 < M < 4

Being the data sufficiency question, I think the answer is E but the correct answer is B?

This is how I solved it. Help me understand where I am going wrong.

The solution to this problem is based on the sign of the denominator (M)

1) The first statement has no information on M so this option is insufficient.
However, since K lies between K -3 and 5, what if the K is 0? Then (K^2/M) will be equal to 0.

So this option is not sufficient.

2) The second statement is positive since m lies between 2 and 4 but again what if K is 0? T hen (K^2/M) will be equal to 0 irrespective of what M is.

Hence my answer is E. Both statements are not sufficient. (C combining both the statements is of no help either).

Help me understand why B is the answer! m :|

Originally posted by Rucha96 on 03 Jun 2022, 04:12.
Last edited by Bunuel on 03 Jun 2022, 09:36, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 30 Apr 2022
Posts: 8
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Is K^2/M < 0? (1) -3 < K < 5 (2) 2 < M < 4 [#permalink]
k^2 can also be 0, that situation needs to be considered. IMO E
Intern
Intern
Joined: 30 Apr 2022
Posts: 8
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
Yes, I think it is clear. It is a yes or a now question. Even if it is Zero, it is still not less than 0.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Status:You learn more from failure than from success.
Posts: 8009
Own Kudos [?]: 4249 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Is K^2/M < 0? (1) -3 < K < 5 (2) 2 < M < 4 [#permalink]
target is k^2/m<0
only possible when M is -ve

#1
-3 < K < 5
insufficient as M is not given
#2
2 < M < 4
M is +ve so target value is +ve always
sufficient
option B

Rucha96 wrote:
Is K^2/M < 0?

(1) -3 < K < 5
(2) 2 < M < 4

Being the data sufficiency question, I think the answer is E but the correct answer is B?

This is how I solved it. Help me understand where I am going wrong.

The solution to this problem is based on the sign of the denominator (M)

1) The first statement has no information on M so this option is insufficient.
However, since K lies between K -3 and 5, what if the K is 0? Then (K^2/M) will be equal to 0.

So this option is not sufficient.

2) The second statement is positive since m lies between 2 and 4 but again what if K is 0? T hen (K^2/M) will be equal to 0 irrespective of what M is.

Hence my answer is E. Both statements are not sufficient. (C combining both the statements is of no help either).

Help me understand why B is the answer! m :|
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 6804
Own Kudos [?]: 30841 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Location: Canada
Send PM
Re: Is K^2/M < 0? (1) -3 < K < 5 (2) 2 < M < 4 [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
ArpanKanjilal wrote:
k^2 can also be 0, that situation needs to be considered. IMO E


Target question: Is K^2/M < 0?

If k^2 = 0, and M is positive, then the answer to the target question is "NO, K^2/M is not less than zero"
If k^2 > 0, and M is positive, then the answer to the target question is "NO, K^2/M is not less than zero"

Since the answer to the target question is the same in both cases (NO), statement 2 is sufficient.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 23 Sep 2021
Posts: 132
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 257
GRE 1: Q163 V157
Send PM
Re: Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
Is k^2/m < 0

k^2/m<0 to hold true k must not equal to zero AND m must be negative.

(1) -3 < k < 5. Not sufficient.
(2) 2 < m < 4. Since the second condition is already violated then the answer to the question is NO: k2m=nonnegativepositive=nonnegativek2m=nonnegativepositive=nonnegative . Sufficient

@bunnuel in the above which you is it pre fixed that k^2/m<0 to hold true k must not equal to zero AND m must be negative or will question missed to mention it out?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is k^2/m < 0 (1) -3 < k < 5 (2) 2 < m < 4 [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
94429 posts