GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 13:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is positive integer p even?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 4006
Location: Canada
Is positive integer p even?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 06:22
1
Top Contributor
10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

20% (02:14) correct 80% (02:29) wrong based on 55 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is positive integer p even?

(1) 4p has twice as many positive divisors as p has
(2) 8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has

_________________
Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7959
Is positive integer p even?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 08:51
Is positive integer p even?

The statements tell us that we are looking at the property of calculation of factors of a number, where the number of factors of \(a^p*b^q..\) is (p+1)(q+1)....

(1) 4p has twice as many positive divisors as p has
Let p be odd, that is no 2s in p
factors of \(4p=2^2p\) will be (2+1)*x=3x, that is 3 times the number of factors or positive divisors of p.
Hence p cannot be odd.
If p is even, say \(2x^py^q...\), then the factors are (1+1)*(p+1)(q+1)...=2(p+1)(q+1)..
so factors of 4p = \(2^22x^py^q...\) are (3+1)*(p+1)(q+1)...=4(p+1)(q+1)..
Hence 2 times of p..
So p is even
Suff

(2) 8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has
If p is 1 (factors 1), then 8p=8 and factors are 1,2,4,8,---4, so 3 more than 1.
If p is 2(factors 1,2), then 8p=16 and factors are 1,2,4,8,16 --- 5,so 3 more than 2.
Insuff

A
_________________
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
D
Joined: 18 Aug 2017
Posts: 5009
Location: India
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Is positive integer p even?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2019, 09:48
1
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Is positive integer p even?

(1) 4p has twice as many positive divisors as p has
(2) 8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has


#1
4p has twice as many positive divisors as p has
p=2 ; 4p=8 ; yes 4 factors of 8 and 2 of 2
similarly check with p=6; 4p=24
so 6 has 4 factors and 24 has; 2^3*3^1 ; 4*2 = 8 factors
sufficient
#2
8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has
p=1 , or p=2 we get different values for p
IMO A
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 4006
Location: Canada
Re: Is positive integer p even?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 09:03
1
Top Contributor
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Is positive integer p even?

(1) 4p has twice as many positive divisors as p has
(2) 8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has


------ASIDE---------------------
Here's a useful rule:
If the prime factorization of N = (p^a)(q^b)(r^c) . . . (where p, q, r, etc are different prime numbers), then N has a total of (a+1)(b+1)(c+1)(etc) positive divisors.

Example: 14000 = (2^4)(5^3)(7^1)
So, the number of positive divisors of 14000 = (4+1)(3+1)(1+1) =(5)(4)(2) = 40
-----------------------------------
Target question: Is positive integer p even?

Statement 1: 4p has twice as many positive divisors as p has
Since p is a positive INTEGER, we know that p is either EVEN or ODD
I'll show that p cannot be odd, which will allow us to conclude that p must be even.

If p is ODD, then the prime factorization of p will consist of ODD primes only.
We can write: p = (some odd prime^a)(some odd prime^b)(some odd prime^c)....
So, the number of positive divisors of p = (a+1)(b+1)(c+1)...
Let's let k = (a+1)(b+1)(c+1)...
That is, k = the number of positive divisors of p

Now let's examine the prime factorization of 4p
4p = (2^2)(a+1)(b+1)(c+1)...
So, the number of positive divisors of 4p = (2+1)(a+1)(b+1)(c+1)...
= (3)(a+1)(b+1)(c+1)...
= (3)(k)

So, p has k divisors, and 4p has 3k divisors.
In other words, 4p has THREE TIMES as many divisors as p.
HOWEVER, we need 4p to have TWICE as many divisors as p.

So, we can conclude that p CANNOT be odd, which means p must be even

Aside: For example is p = 2, then it has 2 divisors, and 4p = 8, which has 4 divisors. So, 4p has TWICE as many divisors as p

Statement 2: 8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has
There are several values of p that satisfy statement 2. Here are two:
Case a: p = 1, which means 8p = 8. 1 has 1 divisor (1), whereas 8 has 4 divisors (1, 2, 4, 8). So, 8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has. In this case, the answer to the target question is NO, p is NOT even
Case b: p = 2, which means 8p = 16. 2 has 2 divisors (1, 2), whereas 16 has 5 divisors (1, 2, 4, 8, 16). So, 8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has. In this case, the answer to the target question is YES, p is even
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent
_________________
Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2347
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Is positive integer p even?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 11:15
GMATPrepNow wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Is positive integer p even?

(1) 4p has twice as many positive divisors as p has
(2) 8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has


------ASIDE---------------------
Here's a useful rule:
If the prime factorization of N = (p^a)(q^b)(r^c) . . . (where p, q, r, etc are different prime numbers), then N has a total of (a+1)(b+1)(c+1)(etc) positive divisors.

Example: 14000 = (2^4)(5^3)(7^1)
So, the number of positive divisors of 14000 = (4+1)(3+1)(1+1) =(5)(4)(2) = 40
-----------------------------------
Target question: Is positive integer p even?

Statement 1: 4p has twice as many positive divisors as p has
Since p is a positive INTEGER, we know that p is either EVEN or ODD
I'll show that p cannot be odd, which will allow us to conclude that p must be even.

If p is ODD, then the prime factorization of p will consist of ODD primes only.
We can write: p = (some odd prime^a)(some odd prime^b)(some odd prime^c)....
So, the number of positive divisors of p = (a+1)(b+1)(c+1)...
Let's let k = (a+1)(b+1)(c+1)...
That is, k = the number of positive divisors of p

Now let's examine the prime factorization of 4p
4p = (2^2)(a+1)(b+1)(c+1)...
So, the number of positive divisors of 4p = (2+1)(a+1)(b+1)(c+1)...
= (3)(a+1)(b+1)(c+1)...
= (3)(k)

So, p has k divisors, and 4p has 3k divisors.
In other words, 4p has THREE TIMES as many divisors as p.
HOWEVER, we need 4p to have TWICE as many divisors as p.

So, we can conclude that p CANNOT be odd, which means p must be even

Aside: For example is p = 2, then it has 2 divisors, and 4p = 8, which has 4 divisors. So, 4p has TWICE as many divisors as p

Statement 2: 8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has
There are several values of p that satisfy statement 2. Here are two:
Case a: p = 1, which means 8p = 8. 1 has 1 divisor (1), whereas 8 has 4 divisors (1, 2, 4, 8). So, 8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has. In this case, the answer to the target question is NO, p is NOT even
Case b: p = 2, which means 8p = 16. 2 has 2 divisors (1, 2), whereas 16 has 5 divisors (1, 2, 4, 8, 16). So, 8p has 3 positive divisors more than p has. In this case, the answer to the target question is YES, p is even
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent


Dear GMATPrepNow

it is really great question.

A- when I tried to take example, I noticed that P must have power of odd integer of (1)......If 2 has power of even integer of odd more than 1, then the statement does not hold true............Is it correct or do I miss something? Can you please show in algebraic way the proof of the statement 1. I tested values only but it took time.

B-In statement 2, If I test case 1 as you did, then can I stop testing even number in case 2, depending on the rule that in GMAT the statements does not contradict each other and hence it must true that statement 2 has valid Even cases? It might save time in such questions that need search for values.

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 4006
Location: Canada
Re: Is positive integer p even?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 13:36
Top Contributor
Mo2men wrote:

Dear GMATPrepNow

it is really great question.

A- when I tried to take example, I noticed that P must have power of odd integer of (1)......If 2 has power of even integer of odd more than 1, then the statement does not hold true............Is it correct or do I miss something? Can you please show in algebraic way the proof of the statement 1. I tested values only but it took time.

B-In statement 2, If I test case 1 as you did, then can I stop testing even number in case 2, depending on the rule that in GMAT the statements does not contradict each other and hence it must true that statement 2 has valid Even cases? It might save time in such questions that need search for values.

Thanks in advance


Hi Mo2men,

A) I'm not sure what you mean by "P must have power of odd integer of (1)......If 2 has power of even integer of odd more than 1, then the statement does not hold true"
If p = 2, then statement 1 is met.

B) I'm not sure what you mean by "...can I stop testing even number in case 2, depending on the rule that in GMAT the statements does not contradict each other and hence it must true that statement 2 has valid Even cases?"
I can tell you that statement 1 holds true for all values of p in which p = some power of 2 (e.g., p = 2^0, p = 2^1, p = 2^2, p = 2^3, etc)

Have I answered either of your questions?

Cheers
Brent
_________________
Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 2347
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Is positive integer p even?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 14:28
Hi Brent,

Thanks for your keen reply. Let me clarify what I mean under each question

Quote:
A) I'm not sure what you mean by "P must have power of odd integer of (1)......If 2 has power of even integer of odd more than 1, then the statement does not hold true"
If p = 2, then statement 1 is met.


Can you please come with example other p= 2^1? something like 2^2* x^b or 2^3 x^b .....etc. I mean I could not find any example with such powers.

Quote:
B) I'm not sure what you mean by "...can I stop testing even number in case 2, depending on the rule that in GMAT the statements does not contradict each other and hence it must true that statement 2 has valid Even cases?"
I can tell you that statement 1 holds true for all values of p in which p = some power of 2 (e.g., p = 2^0, p = 2^1, p = 2^2, p = 2^3, etc)


What I mean is the following:

You have proved that in statement 1 p is even, so by extension statement 2 is either sufficient because P=even or insufficient if p could be even in cases or odd in other cases.
If you picked case 1 and proved that p has odd number then No need to pick other set to prove p=even because statesmen 1 will no contradict statement 2 and hence P= even is part of statement 2 solution. I hope I have clarified now what I mean.

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
V
Joined: 12 Sep 2015
Posts: 4006
Location: Canada
Re: Is positive integer p even?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 15:02
1
Top Contributor
Mo2men wrote:
Hi Brent,

Thanks for your keen reply. Let me clarify what I mean under each question

Quote:
A) I'm not sure what you mean by "P must have power of odd integer of (1)......If 2 has power of even integer of odd more than 1, then the statement does not hold true"
If p = 2, then statement 1 is met.


Can you please come with example other p= 2^1? something like 2^2* x^b or 2^3 x^b .....etc. I mean I could not find any example with such powers.

Quote:
B) I'm not sure what you mean by "...can I stop testing even number in case 2, depending on the rule that in GMAT the statements does not contradict each other and hence it must true that statement 2 has valid Even cases?"
I can tell you that statement 1 holds true for all values of p in which p = some power of 2 (e.g., p = 2^0, p = 2^1, p = 2^2, p = 2^3, etc)


What I mean is the following:

You have proved that in statement 1 p is even, so by extension statement 2 is either sufficient because P=even or insufficient if p could be even in cases or odd in other cases.
If you picked case 1 and proved that p has odd number then No need to pick other set to prove p=even because statesmen 1 will no contradict statement 2 and hence P= even is part of statement 2 solution. I hope I have clarified now what I mean.

Thanks


Can you please come with example other p= 2^1? something like 2^2* x^b or 2^3 x^b .....etc. I mean I could not find any example with such powers.
I assume you're referring to statement 1.
Some other numbers that satisfy statement 1 are:

p = 6, which means 4p = 24
6 has FOUR divisors (1,2,3,6) and 24 has EIGHT divisors (1,2,3,4,6,8,12,24)

p = 50, which means 4p = 200
50 has SIX divisors and 200 has TWELVE divisors

You have proved that in statement 1 p is even, so by extension statement 2 is either sufficient because P=even or insufficient if p could be even in cases or odd in other cases.
If you picked case 1 and proved that p has odd number then No need to pick other set to prove p=even because statesmen 1 will no contradict statement 2 and hence P= even is part of statement 2 solution. I hope I have clarified now what I mean.

That's correct.

Cheers,
Brent
_________________
Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is positive integer p even?   [#permalink] 21 May 2019, 15:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is positive integer p even?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne