GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? (1) Line segments AC and BD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 11:07
gijoedude wrote:

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD

Solve!

CONDITIONS 1 AND 2 APPLY TO BOTH SQUARE AND RHOMBUS...............
HENCE GIVEN CONDITION 1 AND 2 , ANSWER ON WHETHER quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus IS BOTH " YES" AND "NO"......

HENCE ANSWER SHOULD BE "E".....................
CEO
CEO
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? (1) Line segments AC and BD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 13:28
semwal wrote:
gijoedude wrote:

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD

Solve!

CONDITIONS 1 AND 2 APPLY TO BOTH SQUARE AND RHOMBUS...............
HENCE GIVEN CONDITION 1 AND 2 , ANSWER ON WHETHER quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus IS BOTH " YES" AND "NO"......

HENCE ANSWER SHOULD BE "E".....................

As mentioned in posts above, a square is a special type of rhombus and hence both statements are sufficient on their own, making C the correct answer.
Director
Director
S
Premium Member
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 02:49
Superset
The answer to the question will be either yes or no.

Translation
In order to find the answer, we need:
1# measure of length of sides
2# angle between the diagonals
3# other properties to justify that the quadrilateral is a triangle

Statement analysis
St 1: diagonals are bisectors happens in parallelogram. Diagonals are perpendicular happens in kite. A figure common to both is a rhombus. ANSWER.

St 2: if all sides are equal. The figure will be a rhombus. ANSWER

Option D

GMAT Mentors

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 20:37
Aren't the diagonals of any parallelogram perpendicular bisectors?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 01:21
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2017, 06:59
Stmnt 1) Satisfied only in rhombus and square, and square is special type of rhombus

Statement 2) Even this statement is Satisfied only in rhombus and square, and square is special type of rhombus
Director
Director
S
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 18:59
Economist wrote:

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD

All Squares -> Rhombuses

However not all Rhombuses are squares

Four equal sides -> square

If A then B does not imply If B then A

Perpendicular Bisectors -> Rhombus

Statement 1

Suff

Statement 2

Suff

D
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 20:32
Bunuel wrote:
Answer D.

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other. --> rhombus

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD --> rhombus

Or am I missing something, seems pretty obvious...

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks for all your help. I have a question. Why is statement 1 a rhombus and not a kite or square? I am guessing it has to do with intersecting at 90 degrees vs. perpendicular bisectors. What is the difference between the two terminologies?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 20:40
thinkpad18 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Answer D.

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other. --> rhombus

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD --> rhombus

Or am I missing something, seems pretty obvious...

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks for all your help. I have a question. Why is statement 1 a rhombus and not a kite or square? I am guessing it has to do with intersecting at 90 degrees vs. perpendicular bisectors. What is the difference between the two terminologies?

A perpendicular bisector is a line which cuts a line segment into two equal parts at 90°.

A line segment bisector is a line which cuts a line segment into two equal parts.

As for your other doubt, I think it is answered on the previous two pages:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... ml#p999739
https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... l#p1277833
https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... l#p1438436
https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... l#p1497287

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 00:30
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
TooLong150 wrote:
This question is poor, because (1) could be right kite, which is not necessarily a rhombus or a rhombus, but (2) will always satisfy a rhombus.

Actually, the question is fine.

A rhombus is a quadrilateral all of whose sides are of the same length - that's all. You could have a rhombus which also has all angles 90 which makes it a square or a rhombus in the shape of a kite. But nevertheless, if it is a quadrilateral and has all sides equal, it IS A RHOMBUS.

Make 2 lines - a vertical and a horizontal - which are perpendicular bisectors of each other. Make them in any way of any length - just that they should be perpendicular bisectors of each other. When you join the end points, you will get all sides equal. Think of it this way - each side you get will be a hypotenuse of a right triangle. The legs of the right triangle will have the same pair of lengths in all 4 cases. So AB = BC = CD = AD. So ABCD must be a rhombus.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD

This statement directly tells you that all sides are equal so ABCD must be a rhombus.

Answer (D)

I am confused here. For me the answer would be A. In case of the B, all sides are equal, yes but how do we know that opposite sides are parallel as well - all sides equal and opposite sides parallel is a rhombus, isn't it?
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 01:28
vipashyana wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
TooLong150 wrote:
This question is poor, because (1) could be right kite, which is not necessarily a rhombus or a rhombus, but (2) will always satisfy a rhombus.

Actually, the question is fine.

A rhombus is a quadrilateral all of whose sides are of the same length - that's all. You could have a rhombus which also has all angles 90 which makes it a square or a rhombus in the shape of a kite. But nevertheless, if it is a quadrilateral and has all sides equal, it IS A RHOMBUS.

Make 2 lines - a vertical and a horizontal - which are perpendicular bisectors of each other. Make them in any way of any length - just that they should be perpendicular bisectors of each other. When you join the end points, you will get all sides equal. Think of it this way - each side you get will be a hypotenuse of a right triangle. The legs of the right triangle will have the same pair of lengths in all 4 cases. So AB = BC = CD = AD. So ABCD must be a rhombus.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD

This statement directly tells you that all sides are equal so ABCD must be a rhombus.

Answer (D)

I am confused here. For me the answer would be A. In case of the B, all sides are equal, yes but how do we know that opposite sides are parallel as well - all sides equal and opposite sides parallel is a rhombus, isn't it?

hello

If you draw a quadrilateral with all sides equal, then its opposite sides HAVE to be parallel.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2018, 01:45
[/quote]

I am confused here. For me the answer would be A. In case of the B, all sides are equal, yes but how do we know that opposite sides are parallel as well - all sides equal and opposite sides parallel is a rhombus, isn't it?[/quote]

hello

If you draw a quadrilateral with all sides equal, then its opposite sides HAVE to be parallel.[/quote]

Agreed. Sorry, my bad.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2018, 00:50
Bunuel wrote:
Thought about this again: D it is.

Well:
(1) True for square or for rhombus but every square is a rhombus, so sufficient
(2) Again true for square or for rhombus but every square is a rhombus, so sufficient

D

Just one question if you could help me.
Are not diagonals of rectangle perpendicular bisectors of each other. I know that they are not equal but they are at 90 degrees to each other and divide the diagonals in equal halves.
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 19:35
manishk30 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Well:
(2) Again true for square or for rhombus but every square is a rhombus, so sufficient

D

Just one question if you could help me.
Are not diagonals of rectangle perpendicular bisectors of each other. I know that they are not equal but they are at 90 degrees to each other and divide the diagonals in equal halves.

Hello

Diagonals of a rectangle ARE EQUAL and ARE bisectors of each other, but they are NOT necessarily perpendicular bisectors.
A rectangle in which diagonals intersect at perpendicular (90 degrees) becomes a square
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 06:02
Bunuel wrote:

Well:

D

Bunuel, following your logic, is it true that every rectangle is parallelogram?

also if I have a square this means that it is also a rectangle, a rhombus and a parallelogram, right?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 06:18
mrjoe1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Well:

D

Bunuel, following your logic, is it true that every rectangle is parallelogram?

also if I have a square this means that it is also a rectangle, a rhombus and a parallelogram, right?

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? &nbs [#permalink] 01 Nov 2018, 06:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap