GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 08:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 707
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2009, 21:09
1
44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (00:50) correct 59% (00:52) wrong based on 1123 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57244
Re: rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2009, 21:45
6
5
General Discussion
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57244
Re: rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2009, 21:40
1
6
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 10
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.51
Rhombus Vs. Kite  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2011, 01:16
Hi guys
I'm a little confused as to whether we should consider the properties of a kite when dealing with quadrilaterals. For example:

Is quadrilateral ABCD a Rhombus?
(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other
(2) AB = BC = CD = AD

The official answer is as follows:
Statement 1 - SUFFICIENT: The diagonals of a rhombus are perpendicular bisectors of one another. This is in fact enough information to prove that a quadrilateral is a rhombus
Statement 2 - A quadrilateral with four equal sides is by definition a rhombus

What I don't get is that the question mentions it is a quadrilateral, not a parallelogram. In this case, how can we eliminate the possibility that it could be a kite as well in Statement 1?
_________________
+1 Kudos is a great way of saying Thank you!! :D
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9551
Location: Pune, India
Re: Rhombus Vs. Kite  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2011, 03:54
6
3
mk87 wrote:
Hi guys
I'm a little confused as to whether we should consider the properties of a kite when dealing with quadrilaterals. For example:

Is quadrilateral ABCD a Rhombus?
(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other
(2) AB = BC = CD = AD

The official answer is as follows:
Statement 1 - SUFFICIENT: The diagonals of a rhombus are perpendicular bisectors of one another. This is in fact enough information to prove that a quadrilateral is a rhombus
Statement 2 - A quadrilateral with four equal sides is by definition a rhombus

What I don't get is that the question mentions it is a quadrilateral, not a parallelogram. In this case, how can we eliminate the possibility that it could be a kite as well in Statement 1?


Statement 1 says the diagonals are perpendicular bisectors of each other which means that they intersect each other at mid points and form 90 degree angles. It is not possible that they are in the shape of an asymmetric kite. Figure 1 is not possible. Only figure 2 is possible. In figure 2, all sides will be equal.
Attachment:
Ques4.jpg
Ques4.jpg [ 10.18 KiB | Viewed 19689 times ]

_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2012
Posts: 411
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus? (1) Line segments AC and BD  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2013, 07:59
1
gijoedude wrote:
Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD



A rhombus is a quadrilateral with all its sides equal to each other.

1.
Imagine that the point where the bisectors meet is called X.
Then, BX = DX and AX = CX.

Using the Pythagorean Theorem you could imagine getting the hypotenuse of sides BX and CX.
Since AX = CX, then the hypotenuse of BX and AX is also as long as the previous.
As you could imagine, all the hypotenuse formed are equal, thus forming equal 4 sides. Hence, a rhombus.

SUFFICIENT.

2.

All sides are equal.

SUFFICIENT.

Answer: D
_________________
Impossible is nothing to God.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1629
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2013, 16:10
Bunuel wrote:
Thought about this again: D it is.

Well:
(1) True for square or for rhombus but every square is a rhombus, so sufficient
(2) Again true for square or for rhombus but every square is a rhombus, so sufficient

D

Hi Bunuel

When they perpendicular bisectors they mean that all angles and all sides are equal, therefore it is a square. And a square is just a type of rhombus?

And for statement 2, when they say that all sides are equal, you can assume that it is a square therefore it is also a rhombus?

Is that the correct line of reasoning?
Thanks so much in advance
Cheers
J :)
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57244
Re: rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2013, 16:20
jlgdr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Thought about this again: D it is.

Well:
(1) True for square or for rhombus but every square is a rhombus, so sufficient
(2) Again true for square or for rhombus but every square is a rhombus, so sufficient

D

Hi Bunuel

When they perpendicular bisectors they mean that all angles and all sides are equal, therefore it is a square. And a square is just a type of rhombus?

And for statement 2, when they say that all sides are equal, you can assume that it is a square therefore it is also a rhombus?

Is that the correct line of reasoning?
Thanks so much in advance
Cheers
J :)


For (1): a perpendicular bisector is a line which cuts a line segment into two equal parts at 90°.

Thus, "line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other" means that AC cuts BD into two equal parts at 90° and BD cuts AC into two equal parts at 90°.

For (2): AB = BC = CD = AD, means that ABCD is either a rhombus or square (so still a rhombus).

Hope it helps.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Verbal Forum Moderator
Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 462
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2014, 03:31
Bunuel wrote:
Answer D.

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other. --> rhombus

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD --> rhombus

Or am I missing something, seems pretty obvious...



But Bunuel this would be true even for rectangle:
Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

I need Your though, am confused. Diagonals of rectangles also bisect each other.
_________________
Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57244
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2014, 05:09
honchos wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Answer D.

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other. --> rhombus

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD --> rhombus

Or am I missing something, seems pretty obvious...



But Bunuel this would be true even for rectangle:
Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

I need Your though, am confused. Diagonals of rectangles also bisect each other.


For (1): a perpendicular bisector is a line which cuts a line segment into two equal parts at 90°.

Thus, "line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other" means that AC cuts BD into two equal parts at 90° and BD cuts AC into two equal parts at 90°.

Now, the diagonals of a rectangle, though cut each other into two equal parts, do NOT necessarily cut each other at 90°. This happens only if a rectangle is a square but if ABCD is a square then it's also a rhombus.

Hope it's clear.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2014
Posts: 61
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 02:17
Bunuel,

For (1), can you consider the case of a kite?

Bunuel wrote:
honchos wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Answer D.

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other. --> rhombus

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD --> rhombus

Or am I missing something, seems pretty obvious...



But Bunuel this would be true even for rectangle:
Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

I need Your though, am confused. Diagonals of rectangles also bisect each other.


For (1): a perpendicular bisector is a line which cuts a line segment into two equal parts at 90°.

Thus, "line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other" means that AC cuts BD into two equal parts at 90° and BD cuts AC into two equal parts at 90°.

Now, the diagonals of a rectangle, though cut each other into two equal parts, do NOT necessarily cut each other at 90°. This happens only if a rectangle is a square but if ABCD is a square then it's also a rhombus.

Hope it's clear.

_________________
Press KUDOs if you find my explanation helpful
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57244
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2014, 07:22
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 179
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 20:32
This question is poor, because (1) could be right kite, which is not necessarily a rhombus or a rhombus, but (2) will always satisfy a rhombus.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
D
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9551
Location: Pune, India
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2015, 22:58
3
TooLong150 wrote:
This question is poor, because (1) could be right kite, which is not necessarily a rhombus or a rhombus, but (2) will always satisfy a rhombus.


Actually, the question is fine.

A rhombus is a quadrilateral all of whose sides are of the same length - that's all. You could have a rhombus which also has all angles 90 which makes it a square or a rhombus in the shape of a kite. But nevertheless, if it is a quadrilateral and has all sides equal, it IS A RHOMBUS.

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other.

Make 2 lines - a vertical and a horizontal - which are perpendicular bisectors of each other. Make them in any way of any length - just that they should be perpendicular bisectors of each other. When you join the end points, you will get all sides equal. Think of it this way - each side you get will be a hypotenuse of a right triangle. The legs of the right triangle will have the same pair of lengths in all 4 cases. So AB = BC = CD = AD. So ABCD must be a rhombus.

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD

This statement directly tells you that all sides are equal so ABCD must be a rhombus.

Answer (D)
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Status: Come! Fall in Love with Learning!
Joined: 05 Jan 2017
Posts: 539
Location: India
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 03:49
Superset
The answer to the question will be either yes or no.

Translation
In order to find the answer, we need:
1# measure of length of sides
2# angle between the diagonals
3# other properties to justify that the quadrilateral is a triangle

Statement analysis
St 1: diagonals are bisectors happens in parallelogram. Diagonals are perpendicular happens in kite. A figure common to both is a rhombus. ANSWER.

St 2: if all sides are equal. The figure will be a rhombus. ANSWER

Option D
_________________
GMAT Mentors
Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Mar 2017
Posts: 3
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2017, 21:37
Aren't the diagonals of any parallelogram perpendicular bisectors?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57244
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2017, 02:21
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jan 2018
Posts: 21
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 21:32
Bunuel wrote:
Answer D.

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other. --> rhombus

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD --> rhombus

Or am I missing something, seems pretty obvious...



Hi Bunuel,

Thanks for all your help. I have a question. Why is statement 1 a rhombus and not a kite or square? I am guessing it has to do with intersecting at 90 degrees vs. perpendicular bisectors. What is the difference between the two terminologies?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 57244
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 21:40
thinkpad18 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Answer D.

(1) Line segments AC and BD are perpendicular bisectors of each other. --> rhombus

(2) AB = BC = CD = AD --> rhombus

Or am I missing something, seems pretty obvious...



Hi Bunuel,

Thanks for all your help. I have a question. Why is statement 1 a rhombus and not a kite or square? I am guessing it has to do with intersecting at 90 degrees vs. perpendicular bisectors. What is the difference between the two terminologies?


A perpendicular bisector is a line which cuts a line segment into two equal parts at 90°.

A line segment bisector is a line which cuts a line segment into two equal parts.

As for your other doubt, I think it is answered on the previous two pages:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... ml#p999739
https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... l#p1277833
https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... l#p1438436
https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-quadrilat ... l#p1497287

Hope it helps.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jul 2016
Posts: 48
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2018, 01:50
Bunuel wrote:
Thought about this again: D it is.

Well:
(1) True for square or for rhombus but every square is a rhombus, so sufficient
(2) Again true for square or for rhombus but every square is a rhombus, so sufficient

D



Just one question if you could help me.
Are not diagonals of rectangle perpendicular bisectors of each other. I know that they are not equal but they are at 90 degrees to each other and divide the diagonals in equal halves.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2018, 01:50

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is quadrilateral ABCD a rhombus?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne