It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is skimming through the passage really helpful

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Is skimming through the passage really helpful [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 08:54
Is skimming through the passage in Actual Exam helpful? request share your experience to help others.TIA.
Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Is skimming through the passage really helpful [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 09:44
I will advice you to read slowly and understand the passage clearly rather than skimming.

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

GMAT Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 09:50
apurba1234 wrote:
Is skimming through the passage in Actual Exam helpful? request share your experience to help others.TIA.

Try to read slow, read 100 words/minute and understand the broader concept/main idea, and the tone of the author. It will really help you ace the RC.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT Date: 07-30-2015
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 09:55
Reading comprehension, as the name suggests you need to comprehend while reading the entire passage. For me passage map works but not skimming. Remember you always need to go back to the passage. While skimming can make you read fast but while doing so you will miss a lot of details. Some says to read the First and the Last lines of each paragraph well and to skim the rest. But for me this method didn't work. Reading comprehension needs a lot of practice to know which method suits an individual. It is such a topic where you don't need any outside detail but a clean hand strategy you can always rely on. So I would suggest find out which method works best for you and discard the rest.
I still remember I used to get almost 4 correct among 16 RC questions, now with practice I almost get 12-13 right. So keep up the hard work

Wish you luck.

Hit kudoos if this helps.
:-)
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2018, 11:34
apurba1234 wrote:

Hi there!

As others suggested, Skimming is never a good idea in RC. This is especially true in short passages. You can't afford to skim anything in short passages, except maybe details. For the long passages, I'd HIGHLY recommend watching this video by Ron Purewal:

This was very helpful for me. I saw tremendous improvement after watching this video. There are other videos from Ron Purewal that you could see on short passages/question types on RC.

Hope this helps!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 23:45
thanks all of you for mindful advices for my question
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 11:52
apurba1234 wrote:

It depends on what you mean by 'skimming'.

If you just mean trying to read very quickly without paying much attention - no, that isn't a great idea. You'll probably just end up confused and end up wasting time having to go back to the passage anyways.

On the other hand, you don't have time to read the entire passage in detail and learn what it's trying to say.

My advice is to skim parts of the passage, and slow way down on other parts. When the passage tells you something new or interesting, slow down and really understand what it's saying and how it relates to what you've already read. But most things in a passage aren't new or interesting, they're repetitive and useless! Most passages will just basically tell you the same thing over and over.

For instance, the passage might make an argument, and then use three more sentences to give examples supporting that argument. You need to know what the argument is, but you don't really need to understand the examples in great detail, unless you happen to get a question about them. So, slow way down when the passage tells you about the argument, but once you realize that the next sentence is just a supporting detail, speed back up. It doesn't really matter what the detail is saying, it just matters that it's supporting the argument.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Re: Is skimming through the passage really helpful   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2018, 11:52

Is skimming through the passage really helpful

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap