Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: NYU Stern (S)
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing! You have a well-rounded profile and your experience is what the tech programs seek, so I think you're a viable candidate if you execute a strong application that shows that you're a multidimensional individual (which Essay 2 can really help with) and explain the motivation behind your goals.

irish825 wrote:
Hi all! Do I stand a chance at Stern (Full-Time Program + Andre Koo Tech Program)?

Background and nationality: White female

Undergrad Information: Univ. of Notre Dame, BS in Mechanical Engineering (GPA 3.2)

GMAT: 720 (Q47, V41)

Work experience and leadership:
- Product Development Engineer at Fortune 10 consumer products (manufacturing/tech.) company - 3 years;
- Co-Leading (and worked with upper management to establish) professional development/social network program for young professionals within the company

Community and others:
- Volunteering with underprivileged kids in inner-city
- Church involvement
- Hobbies: Running, Downhill Snow Skiing

Post MBA goals:
- Rise to senior management in tech. industry; involvement with Business Strategy

Anything else?
- Essays should be very strong
- Letters of recommendation likely above-average strength
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Send PM
Re: NYU Stern Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing! Plenty of people apply with marketing experience. This won't hurt you in any way - for any career background, the admissions committee is most interested in your impact/progression. It's good to hear that you've had promotions and are expecting good recommendations (make sure they are full of examples of how you've shown strengths and growth).

The reason schools ask if a partner is applying is because, in having this information, they try their best to ensure that both of you receive your decisions at the same time :) So, this wouldn't hurt or help your individual chances.

monkey12 wrote:
I am applying for the NYU Stern Part-Time Program (Fall 2019 Start).

White Female
3.85 GPA (Top 20 Undergrad, Liberal Arts School; graduated Phi Betta Kappa/summa cum laude; involved in many clubs/captain of athletic team)
4.5 Years Experience (3 years at leading market research firm, 1.5 years at small advertising company)
321 GRE Score (161 Verbal, 160 Quant, 5 on the Essay)

I feel like I have a different background than most people (advertising/marketing) applying for an MBA. Will that hurt or help me? I've been promoted a bunch of times and will have decent recommendations. My goal is to transition out of advertising and work more on the marketing side of things at a big company (like Amazon).

Also, does anyone know if it hurts/helps if your domestic partner is also applying for the same program? There is a section in the application where you disclose it.

Thanks everyone!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there - it sounds like you have a well-rounded profile, with solid academics, work experience, and extracurricular involvement, so I think you're a viable candidate for Stern if you fully convey your professional and personal impact on your resume, explain the motivation behind your goals in Essay 1 (and make a strong case for Why MBA/Stern), and show that you're multidimensional in Essay 2 by highlighting different facets of your life. Hope that helps a bit!

jonrave wrote:
Background and nationality: USA, White Male,
Undergrad Information: State University Top 100, Finance & Entrepreneurship Double Major. Entrepreneurship program ranked Top 10 and I received distinguished awards and grant money to pursue a venture from the program. GPA is 3.45
GMAT: 730 | Q 48
Work experience and leadership: 5 years of work experience; Had a startup for a year that had a modest exit. Then I worked for two startups in B2B Software Sales. One was headquartered in Tel Aviv so I have that international experience plus I'm fluent in Hebrew. For the last year, I have been working in Channel Sales for a Fortune 500 tech company where I train and present to our channel partners.
Community and others: I lead corporate volunteer efforts for our office in NYC
Post MBA goals: Big 3 Consulting
Anything else?

Thanks so much for the review! Happy to provide more background if it will help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="mbaMissionNishaT"]Hi, and thanks for writing! Plenty of people apply with marketing experience. This won't hurt you in any way - for any career background, the admissions committee is most interested in your impact/progression. It's good to hear that you've had promotions and are expecting good recommendations (make sure they are full of examples of how you've shown strengths and growth).

The reason schools ask if a partner is applying is because, in having this information, they try their best to ensure that both of you receive your decisions at the same time :) So, this wouldn't hurt or help your individual chances.

Thank you Nisha! Do you think I stand a good chance of getting in based on my scores and background?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 2.94
Send PM
Just got dinged from NYU and wanted to get some feedback on my profile:

GMAT: 730 Q: 48 V: 42
GPA; 2.94 (from a top 25 private university, my main weak point)
WE: 5.5 years in Real Estate Brokerage, 3 years at a small firm then 2.5 years at a top 3 firm after being recruited and given a title bump due to performance at my previous firm.
Post grad career: Real Estate Development in NYC
Assuming I had strong rec letters
Hired a consultant to do all of my apps.
Strong extracurriculars post college, including volunteer work abroad, holding board positions etc in numerous industry related clubs etc. as well as fundraising for non profits.

I've had no luck at any school I've applied to so any feedback would be great. The only other thing I can see is that I'm from a nontraditional career path, where I work independently, am compensated on commission only, and there is no promotion structure / structure to manage new employees.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile below!

Background and nationality: Male, White, US citizen, 27 years old.

Undergrad Information: BBA in finance from Top 30 Public University with a 3.2 GPA (I had one bad semester where I dealt with depression from the death of my best friend, dragging down my GPA. I plan to use the optional essay to explain this). Additionally, I have taken three MBA-level courses from Harvard Business School through their Core Requirements program (aka “Pre-MBA program”), which I completed with High Honors.

GMAT: 730 (Q 47, V 44, IR 6, AWA 6)

Work experience and leadership: At the time of applying, will be 5 years working as a financial analyst for major bank with one promotion to intermediate analyst. I, along with some of my colleagues, lead a team of analysts based in India, led many projects and worked on the largest project my office has ever done, and have mentored some of the associates on my team.
I have also cofounded a small company with a few colleagues that runs an online financial website and a small investment fund.

Community and others: Volunteered through Meals on Wheels for the past year, done many other volunteering activities before that, though not through one specific organization. I have mentored four undergraduate students at the University I graduated from over the past two years. I have been on the board of a local non-profit Irish Heritage organization for the past two years.

Recommenders: Both are supervisors of mine.

Post MBA goals: Wanting to switch to Investment Banking with the main goal of eventually starting my own investment fund that focuses on renewable energy and making an impact on saving the environment.

Thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Based on the limited info you've provided, the program seems to be in range for you. Best of luck!

monkey12 wrote:
mbaMissionNishaT wrote:
Hi, and thanks for writing! Plenty of people apply with marketing experience. This won't hurt you in any way - for any career background, the admissions committee is most interested in your impact/progression. It's good to hear that you've had promotions and are expecting good recommendations (make sure they are full of examples of how you've shown strengths and growth).

Thank you Nisha! Do you think I stand a good chance of getting in based on my scores and background?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing! I'm sorry to hear about the outcome.

The GPA is an area of concern - did you address it in the optional essay? It sounds like you have progressive work experience and good extracurricular involvement. There's nothing inherently wrong with a nontraditional career path, as long as you fully communicated the impact you've made in each role that you've had and highlight leadership, teamwork, analytical, and communication skills in your resume. The essays also required you to make a strong case for your desired career path and why MBA/Stern, and Essay 2 is the chance to help them get to know you as a person, so part of the application outcome of course depends on execution.

mbaMission has a "Ding Review" service in which I'd review your full application, let you know the strengths and weaknesses, and advise you on your reapp strategy. if you're interested, there's more information here: https://shop.mbamission.com/collections ... t-strategy
I

evobeatsti wrote:
Just got dinged from NYU and wanted to get some feedback on my profile:

GMAT: 730 Q: 48 V: 42
GPA; 2.94 (from a top 25 private university, my main weak point)
WE: 5.5 years in Real Estate Brokerage, 3 years at a small firm then 2.5 years at a top 3 firm after being recruited and given a title bump due to performance at my previous firm.
Post grad career: Real Estate Development in NYC
Assuming I had strong rec letters
Hired a consultant to do all of my apps.
Strong extracurriculars post college, including volunteer work abroad, holding board positions etc in numerous industry related clubs etc. as well as fundraising for non profits.

I've had no luck at any school I've applied to so any feedback would be great. The only other thing I can see is that I'm from a nontraditional career path, where I work independently, am compensated on commission only, and there is no promotion structure / structure to manage new employees.
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi, and thanks for writing. I see you've posted both here and on the CBS Thread, so I'll just answer here.

It sounds like you have a well-rounded profile, with a solid GMAT score, progressive work experience and an entrepreneurial venture, and solid extracurricular involvement. It's good that you're planning to address the GPA in the optional essay, and the circumstances sound understandable. Based on the info you've provided, I think both Stern and CBS are within reach (though of course, very competitive) if you execute a very strong application, explain your goals in a way that's compelling and shows your motivations, and make a strong case for why each program is a strong fit for you based on its resources.

Are you applying this year though? Given the timing (especially for CBS and its rolling admissions process) it's quite competitive at this point since many spots have been spoken for. For finance applicants (since you're quite heavily represented in the pool), I especially recommend applying early, so you might consider R1 next year if this year does not work out.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

jaja231 wrote:

Please evaluate my profile below!

Background and nationality: Male, White, US citizen, 27 years old.

Undergrad Information: BBA in finance from Top 30 Public University with a 3.2 GPA (I had one bad semester where I dealt with depression from the death of my best friend, dragging down my GPA. I plan to use the optional essay to explain this). Additionally, I have taken three MBA-level courses from Harvard Business School through their Core Requirements program (aka “Pre-MBA program”), which I completed with High Honors.

GMAT: 730 (Q 47, V 44, IR 6, AWA 6)

Work experience and leadership: At the time of applying, will be 5 years working as a financial analyst for major bank with one promotion to intermediate analyst. I, along with some of my colleagues, lead a team of analysts based in India, led many projects and worked on the largest project my office has ever done, and have mentored some of the associates on my team.
I have also cofounded a small company with a few colleagues that runs an online financial website and a small investment fund.

Community and others: Volunteered through Meals on Wheels for the past year, done many other volunteering activities before that, though not through one specific organization. I have mentored four undergraduate students at the University I graduated from over the past two years. I have been on the board of a local non-profit Irish Heritage organization for the past two years.

Recommenders: Both are supervisors of mine.

Post MBA goals: Wanting to switch to Investment Banking with the main goal of eventually starting my own investment fund that focuses on renewable energy and making an impact on saving the environment.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi Guys,

It will be great if you can evaluate my profile for Stern Full Time MBA. The profile is as follows:

Background and nationality: Indian, Male, 27
Undergrad Information: Bachelors in Computer Science, University of Delhi - GPA will be between 3.0 and 3.2
GMAT: 710 (QA 48, VA 38, IR 6)
Work experience and leadership: 60 months, primarily in Risk Consulting divided as following:
26 months in a Big4 - profile revolved around advising clients on managing their regulatory aspects of risks
34 months in a leading risk consulting firm - profile advises clients on various aspects to manage most risks, including selling insurance
Community and others - Actively involved with an NGO teaching basic English and Mathematics to under privileged kids in India; other normal things (including being part of a astronomy club, inter college football etc.)
Post MBA goals: Strategy Consulting - MBBs or tier two Consulting firms

Your help is much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hi Nisha,

Thanks for writing back. Appreciate your time and efforts in helping out. I took the GMAT again and pushed my score to 740(QA 50, VA40,IR 8,AWA pending). A little worried about AWA as it went pretty average whereas I scored a 6 the last time.

In CA articleship we do not have any promotion system and I think I could manage to get some recommendations from my Managers in Tokyo at Goldman Sachs. As far as extracurriculars are concerned I’ve taken part in competitions at office which involve debating and making presentations and have emerged victorious. I also had a short stint working as an intern for an Irish NGO, The Hope Foundation. Furthermore I am well travelled having lived in 3 different countries and visited 15-20 countries from where I feel I can bolster some diversity points.

Please let me know your thoughts on admissions to Stern,Booth,Columbia, Tuck and Kellogg.

Thanks

Dhruv Dalmia

mbaMissionNishaT wrote:
Hi Dhruv,

Thanks for writing! Given how competitive admission is for Indian applicants, it would be good to give the GMAT another shot to raise it to 730+. Your work experience seems good - did you receive a promotion during your three years in CA Articleship, and do you think you'd get strong recommendations from both employers? The perception of your professional progress will hinge on that. Also, are you involved in any extracurriculars/passions outside of work? If not, waiting another year and starting an activity now may benefit you (and would also give you time to retake GMAT). Hope that helps a little!

DhruvDal wrote:
Hello team,

Could you please help in reviewing my profile if I would like to apply to NYU Stern for a full time MBA program.

24 Year old Indian Male.

My GMAT Score is 710(QA50, VA36,IR 8,AWA 6). I had already given the GMAT once prior to this score in which I scored 650 which I cancelled. I was scoring 730-740 in the mocks leading to my first attempt so I do not think I have the courage to push my score. Please advise.

Educational Qualifications:
Class X: 09.40 CGPA(All subjects)
Class XII: 93%(All Subjects)
B. Com(H) from St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata with first division marks(72%)
Chartered Accountant(Nov’16 batch)
Passed 2 levels of the International CFA Program(US)

Work experience:
CA Articleship(3 Years):
My key responsibilities included carrying out statutory and internal audit for clients. I’ve also assisted the firms I have worked for in income tax and companies returning filing as well as accounting work.

Goldman Sachs(April 2017-Present)
Division: Product Control
-> First line of control on the Securities Division of the firm.
-> Daily and weekly financial P&L Reporting and analysis for the Japanese equity derivatives desk.
-> Carrying out price verification procedures in order to ensure the firm’s marks are consistent with the consensus marks.
-> Safeguarding the assets of the firm as well as substantiating P&L drivers to help explain VaR breaches.

Also I am confused whether to apply in January this year or by next year. I would like to start my MBA by latest 2020.

Goals post MBA:

Seeking to pave my way into IB/Trading.

Thanks,
Dhruv

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi All,
Would appreciate a profile evaluation. Targeting R1 next year.

Background and nationality: Indian Female

Undergrad Information: B.Tech - ECE. Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University(MSIT). CGPA: 9.0(one of the toppers of my stream)
10th : CGPA 10 (95%)
12th : CGPA 9.3 (88%)

GMAT: 760

Work experience and leadership : 4.5 years at present in a techno-functional role. Working as a Senior Software Engineer in Infosys Ltd serving domestic and international banks. Have worked with private, public sector and international banks, all at client site. Currently heading all clients in Africa and Sri Lanka region (about 2 years of international work ex). Regarded as a domain expert and have worked as a team lead in multiple project implementations.

Awards: Top Performer in the Entry Level Training, Most Promising Joinee Award, Listed as Infosys Pride Factor, Awarded by multiple clients for contribution to the project.
Was the head of Self-Governance Team in Infosys for a year.

Community and others : Associated with Leaders for Tomorrow and part of their project – Igniting Young Minds to provide life skills to the disadvantaged; Member of Help Age India in higher secondary for care of disadvantaged elderly.
Recently Joined Toastmasters. Awarded as Best Table Topic Speaker in the guest meeting. Event Head of Technical Fest in college ensuring a footfall of more than 2500 people in the event. Member of the organization committee of Infosys Finacle Fever’15.

Post MBA goals: Consulting.

Thank you for your help.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there, and thanks for writing! You have a strong and well-rounded profile, with stellar academics, progressive work experience, and good extracurricular involvement. Stern (and the other top schools) is indeed within reach for you - your success will depend mainly on application execution - getting very strong recommendations that attest to your performance and potential, explaining the motivations behind your desire to enter consulting and explaining how a Stern MBA will help you get there, conveying your professional and personal impact on your resume. and providing the admissions committee with a multidimensional view of yourself via your application. Hope that helps - best of luck!

aroraishita02 wrote:
Hi All,
Would appreciate a profile evaluation. Targeting R1 next year.

Background and nationality: Indian Female

Undergrad Information: B.Tech - ECE. Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University(MSIT). CGPA: 9.0(one of the toppers of my stream)
10th : CGPA 10 (95%)
12th : CGPA 9.3 (88%)

GMAT: 760

Work experience and leadership : 4.5 years at present in a techno-functional role. Working as a Senior Software Engineer in Infosys Ltd serving domestic and international banks. Have worked with private, public sector and international banks, all at client site. Currently heading all clients in Africa and Sri Lanka region (about 2 years of international work ex). Regarded as a domain expert and have worked as a team lead in multiple project implementations.

Awards: Top Performer in the Entry Level Training, Most Promising Joinee Award, Listed as Infosys Pride Factor, Awarded by multiple clients for contribution to the project.
Was the head of Self-Governance Team in Infosys for a year.

Community and others : Associated with Leaders for Tomorrow and part of their project – Igniting Young Minds to provide life skills to the disadvantaged; Member of Help Age India in higher secondary for care of disadvantaged elderly.
Recently Joined Toastmasters. Awarded as Best Table Topic Speaker in the guest meeting. Event Head of Technical Fest in college ensuring a footfall of more than 2500 people in the event. Member of the organization committee of Infosys Finacle Fever’15.

Post MBA goals: Consulting.

Thank you for your help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How do these stats look below for admittance into the NYU stern part time program?

Undergrad GPA: 2.92, Economics Major (worst part of the application, plan to address in the optional essay)
GRE: 160 Verbal, 169 Quant
4.5 Years Experience at bulge bracket bank in wealth management
CFA Certification, CAIA Certification, plus all series exams
White Male

:please
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there - thanks for writing! I think that your GRE will help offset your GPA (and it's good that you plan to address the GPA in the optional essay). Your career progression seems good from what you've provided - I'd say that as long as you can execute a strong application in which you explain the motivation behind your goals and how an MBA from Stern will help you achieve them and also, present the different facets of yourself in Essay 2 in a way that shows the adcom your personal passions and values, then you'll be a viable candidate. Hope that helps!

monkey12 wrote:
How do these stats look below for admittance into the NYU stern part time program?

Undergrad GPA: 2.92, Economics Major (worst part of the application, plan to address in the optional essay)
White Male

Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
monkey12 wrote:

White Male

Hi monkey12,

Hope this finds you well.

While your GRE will help compensate for your low GPA to a large extent, it would still be worthwhile to address your low GPA in the Optional/Additional Information Essay.

The rest of your profile appears to be in good shape (the CFA will definitely add value); the essays would, therefore, be crucial; you must particularly do a good job in articulating your need for MBA and how the same will help you achieve your goals. Of course, needless to say, the short-term and long-term goals must be in sync with each other, as well as with your existing experience.

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussion, feel free to reach out.

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.58
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hi all,

Would really appreciate a profile review. I'm planning to apply for the 2020 intake in round 1.

Profile - Indian male, non engineering background
Age - 26 years (will be 27 when I apply)

Gmat 1 - 730 (Q49, V40)
Gmat 2 - 720 (Q50, V39)
Gmat 3 - 740 (Q49,V42)

Educational Qualification - A chartered accountant (equivalent to a US CPA) with a bachelor's degree in commerce with accounting as the major. I have cleared all 3 levels of the CA exam in the first attempt (probablity of 0.2% considering the result statistics) and stood 2nd in my City at the final level. The CA course also involved 3 years of full time intership experience at a CA firm in international taxation. Additionally, I have also cleared all 3 levels of the CFA program.

Post qualification experience (approx. 5 to 5.5 years when I apply)

1) 3 and a half years of experience in International tax (transfer pricing) at PwC Mumbai. Only the 2nd associate in PwC transfer pricing practice to get promoted to an assistant manager in 1 and half years.

2) Approximately 8 months of experience with Citibank Mumbai in credit risk management. Currently leading a key project on automation which has the potential to transform the way our team functions and reduce manpower substantially.

Reason for pursuing an MBA - having made a successful transition from international taxation to banking, I'm looking at an MBA to give me the right impetus and platform to further switch to investment management.

While at PwC, I had already applied for the 2018 intake at Stern with a score of 730 and was waitlisted without interview.

It would really help if someone can analyse my candidature for the 2020 intake at Stern as a reapplicant and also suggest ways to improve my chances.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11