Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [30]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [10]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [4]
Send PM
Re: Is the product of all of the elements in Set S negative? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
rdevorse wrote:
I'm still stuck on Statement 2. It says that "There are 5 negative numbers in the set."

If we know for sure that there are 5 negative numbers in the set, although zero is an integer, it is neither positive or negative. Then why are considering zero to possibly be in the set of 5 numbers if it is not negative?

"There are 5 negative numbers in the set" means that number of negative terms in the set is 5, but it doesn't necessarily mean that there is ONLY 5 terms in the set. There can be more than 5 terms in the set: 6, 7, 100, ... (out of which 5 are negative) and one of these other terms can be zero, for example: {-1, -2, -3, -4, -5, 0}.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I understand now, thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
From Stmt 1 : We can get to know if all numbers are negative then if there were an even set of negative numbers their product would be positive ,
else if there were an odd set of negative numbers their product would be negative.
Statement 1 lacks this information on the number of negative numbers ( ' All of the elements in Set S are negative' is too broad ) .
Hence insufficient.

From Stmt 2 : It only tells us there are 5 negative numbers in the set , but what about other numbers in the set , there could be a 0 also in the set .
Then the product of all elements in the set would be 0 and not negative . Hence Stmt 2 is also insufficient .

When we combine Stmt 1 and Stmt 2 , we now are aware of both the number of elements ( 5 elements ) and all elements are negative . Hence we will be able to get a definitive answer. Answer is C

Refer to : https://gmatclub.com/forum/is-the-product-of-all-of-the-elements-in-set-s-negative-126212.html similar question
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi webhishek,

Some Test Takers will read this question and naturally "see" all of the possibilities. That can be a dangerous way of dealing with this Test though, since if you "miss" any of the possibilities or don't properly note a given detail, then you'll get the question wrong and not even know it. As such, proper note-taking is a MUST; you should get in the habit of finding a way to PROVE that you're correct. Here, we can TEST VALUES.

The prompt asks us if the PRODUCT of all the numbers in Set S is NEGATIVE. This is a YES/NO question. We are NOT told how many numbers are in the set, nor if they're positive, negative or 0.

Fact 1: All of the elements in Set S are NEGATIVE.

IF the set is...
{-1, -2]
Then the product is positive and the answer to the question is NO.

IF the set is....
{-1, -2, -3}
Then the product is negative and the answer to the question is YES.
Fact 1 is INSUFFICIENT

Fact 2: There are 5 negative numbers in Set S.

This does NOT tell us the total number of items in Set S (nor what those additional numbers might be)

IF the set is...
{-1, -2, -3, -4, -5}
Then the product is negative and the answer to the question is YES.

IF the set is...
{-1, -2, -3, -4, -5, 0}
Then the product is 0 and the answer to the question is NO.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT.

Combined, we know:
ALL of the elements in Set S are NEGATIVE
There are 5 NEGATIVE numbers.
This mean that there are only 5 numbers AND that they're all negative, so the product MUST be negative and the answer to the question is ALWAYS YES.
Combined, SUFFICIENT.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Send PM
rdevorse wrote:
Is the product of all of the elements in Set S negative?

(1) All of the elements in Set S are negative.
(2) There are 5 negative numbers in Set S.

---
I understand the official answer, but I am having trouble with an explanation by the MGMAT book given for Statement 2.

The book says that statement 2 is insufficient: "However, if any of the elements in Set S equals zero, then the product of the elements in Set S will be zero, which is NOT negative."

What? I thought that statement two is telling us that there are basically five negative elements in Set S, and if 0 is not positive or negative, then why are we even considering 0 as an element in Set S?

The approach is
1. if all of the elements is set are negative, we don't know whether there are even or odd number of elements .
Product might be or might not be -ve ,Not sufficient
2. If there are 5 elements in set S,Answer is sufficient but if there are 6 elements in set and 6th element is 0, product is 0.
Hence Not sufficient.

I+II

Tells there are 5 elements in Set S ,All are negative
OA=C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
amrita: rana
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-09-2014
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I dont understand why after both statements, Its Data sufficient.
The first statement gives us there are all negative elements in the set and second statement combined gives us that 5 of them are negative.
So the S={-1,-2,-3,-4,-5,-x,-y,... } How does this make the both statements sufficient together?

Apologise but then i feel they are not sufficient together.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619022 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
amritar wrote:
I dont understand why after both statements, Its Data sufficient.
The first statement gives us there are all negative elements in the set and second statement combined gives us that 5 of them are negative.
So the S={-1,-2,-3,-4,-5,-x,-y,... } How does this make the both statements sufficient together?

Apologise but then i feel they are not sufficient together.

When combined we have that there are 5 negative integers in the set. Therefore their product is negative. Please read the solutions provided above for better understanding.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
rdevorse wrote:
Is the product of all of the elements in Set S negative?

(1) All of the elements in Set S are negative.
(2) There are 5 negative numbers in Set S.

---
I understand the official answer, but I am having trouble with an explanation by the MGMAT book given for Statement 2.

The book says that statement 2 is insufficient: "However, if any of the elements in Set S equals zero, then the product of the elements in Set S will be zero, which is NOT negative."

What? I thought that statement two is telling us that there are basically five negative elements in Set S, and if 0 is not positive or negative, then why are we even considering 0 as an element in Set S?

We don't know whether or not 0 is in the set

B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Brilliant question by manhattan. It really does not require any pen and paper to solve but need logic .
Statement 1 says only that All elements are negative. However we do not know whether no. of elements are odd or even. So Not sufficient

Statement 2 says that There are 5 negative numbers in the set but we do not know if there are only five negative numbers in the set and nothing else. May be there are some 0s as well. SoNot sufficient

But when you combined both, you have all numbers are negative and there are five negative numbers in the set . So basically there are only five negative numbers in the set and nothing else.
HenceSufficient

Answer should be C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts