GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 02:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

     December 10, 2018

     December 10, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 11, 2018

     December 11, 2018

     09:00 PM EST

     10:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1044
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 15:13
1
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:13) correct 32% (00:46) wrong based on 154 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation of set T ?

(1) The range of set S is greater than the range of set T
(2) The mean of set S is greater than the mean of set T

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2595
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Reviews Badge
Re: Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2010, 15:25
2
1
noboru wrote:
Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation of set T ?

A) The range of set S is greater than the range of set T
B) The mean of set S is greater than the mean of set T


Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient


Standard deviation is basically the deviation of the terms from the mean.

Statement 1: No information about the Mean,number of terms hence not sufficient.
Statement 2: No information about the number of terms, hence not sufficient.

Even if we take them together, we cannot calculate the |mean - term| for all the terms. We even do not have number of terms.
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Posts: 41
Location: currently in Taiwan
Schools: Top Taiwanese university
Re: Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 00:54
Suppose that S is (3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,1000)
and T is (50,100,150,200,250,300,350,400,450,500,550)
then the range of S is great than that of T while the standard deviation of S is less than that of T, regardless of their means
Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2630
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 00:39
Excellent Question.
It is testing our knowledge of standard deviation.
Lets use some test cases here ->

Statement 1->
1,2,3
1,1,1

Yes


2,4,...100
1,99,99,99,...99


NO

Hence not sufficient

Statement 2->
2,2,2
1,1,1
NO
2,2,4
1,1,1

YES

Hence not sufficient
Combing the two statements

2,4,6...100
1,1,1..1

YES

2,4,6..100,101
1,99,1,99,1,99,1,99

NO

Hence Not sufficient


Hence E

_________________


MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Aug 2016
Posts: 85
CAT Tests
Re: Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 03:47
gurpreetsingh wrote:
noboru wrote:
Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation of set T ?

A) The range of set S is greater than the range of set T
B) The mean of set S is greater than the mean of set T


Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient


Standard deviation is basically the deviation of the terms from the mean.

Statement 1: No information about the Mean,number of terms hence not sufficient.
Statement 2: No information about the number of terms, hence not sufficient.

Even if we take them together, we cannot calculate the |mean - term| for all the terms. We even do not have number of terms.


Hi..

But I thought the standard deviation is directly proportional to the range?

So I chose A

Please help
DS Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 1412
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 10:15
zanaik89 wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:
noboru wrote:
Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation of set T ?

A) The range of set S is greater than the range of set T
B) The mean of set S is greater than the mean of set T


Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (2) ALONE is not sufficient
Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but Statement (1) ALONE is not sufficient
BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient
EACH statement ALONE is sufficient
Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient


Standard deviation is basically the deviation of the terms from the mean.

Statement 1: No information about the Mean,number of terms hence not sufficient.
Statement 2: No information about the number of terms, hence not sufficient.

Even if we take them together, we cannot calculate the |mean - term| for all the terms. We even do not have number of terms.


Hi..

But I thought the standard deviation is directly proportional to the range?

So I chose A

Please help


Hello

May I know from where you came to know that standard deviation is directly proportional to the range?

Look at this set P = {4, 5, 5, 6}. Range of this set is 2 and Std Dev is square root of 0.5.
Now look at another set Q = {4, 4, 6, 6}. Range of this set is also 2 but its Std Dev is 1, so greater than that of set P.

There is some effect of range for sure, but we cannot say that its 'directly proportional'. What matters is that how far the values deviate from the mean.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation &nbs [#permalink] 03 Jul 2018, 10:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is the standard deviation of set S greater than the standard deviation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.