GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 05:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: MBA Aspirant
Joined: 12 Jun 2010
Posts: 140
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2012, 05:21
2
11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:30) correct 54% (01:10) wrong based on 180 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer
(2) 3y is an integer
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49909
Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2012, 07:07
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer --> y is either an integer (..., -1, 0, 1, 2, ...) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example \(\sqrt[3]{2}\). Not sufficient. Notice here that y cannot be some reduced fraction like 1/3 or 13/5, because in this case y^3 won't be an integer.


(2) 3y is an integer --> y is either an integer or integers/3, for example: 1/3, 2/3, ... Not sufficient. Notice here that y cannot be some irrational number like \(\sqrt{2}\) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), because in this case 3y won't be an integer.

(1)+(2) Since both y^3 and 3y are integers then, as discussed above, y must be an integer. Sufficient.

Answer: C.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: MBA Aspirant
Joined: 12 Jun 2010
Posts: 140
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Re: Is y an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2012, 07:30
Bunuel wrote:
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer --> y is either an integer (..., -1, 0, 1, 2, ...) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example \(\sqrt[3]{2}\). Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some reduced fraction like 1/3 or 13/5, because in this case y^3 won't be an integer.


B) 3y is an integer --> y is either an integer or integers/3, for example: 1/3, 2/3, ... Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some irrational number like \(\sqrt{2}\) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), because in this case 3y won't be an integer.

(1)+(2) Since both y^3 and 3y are integers then, as discussed above, y must be an integer. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Bunnel can you explain here by putting in some values for y. I am still unable to trace how by using both I can find that y is an integer.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49909
Re: Is y an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2012, 07:45
subhajeet wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer --> y is either an integer (..., -1, 0, 1, 2, ...) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example \(\sqrt[3]{2}\). Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some reduced fraction like 1/3 or 13/5, because in this case y^3 won't be an integer.


B) 3y is an integer --> y is either an integer or integers/3, for example: 1/3, 2/3, ... Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some irrational number like \(\sqrt{2}\) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), because in this case 3y won't be an integer.

(1)+(2) Since both y^3 and 3y are integers then, as discussed above, y must be an integer. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Bunnel can you explain here by putting in some values for y. I am still unable to trace how by using both I can find that y is an integer.


Sure. Generally \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\) is either an integer itself or an irrational number, it can not be some reduced fraction like 1/2 or 2/3. (The same way as \(\sqrt{integer}\) is either an integer itself or an irrational number).

From (1) \(y=integer\) or \(y=\sqrt[3]{integer}\);

From (2) \(y=integer\) or \(y=\frac{integer}{3}\);

So, from (1)+(2) \(y=integer\).

Because if from (1) \(y=\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example if \(y=\sqrt[3]{2}\), then \(3y=integer\) won't hold true for (2): \(3y={3*\sqrt[3]{2}}\neq{integer}\). The same way: if from (2) \(y=\frac{integer}{3}\), for example if \(y=\frac{1}{3}\), then \(y^3=integer\) won't hold true for (1): \(y^3=(\frac{1}{3})^3\neq{integer}\).

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 39
GMAT Date: 03-20-2014
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is y an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 10:43
Bunuel wrote:
subhajeet wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer --> y is either an integer (..., -1, 0, 1, 2, ...) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example \(\sqrt[3]{2}\). Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some reduced fraction like 1/3 or 13/5, because in this case y^3 won't be an integer.


B) 3y is an integer --> y is either an integer or integers/3, for example: 1/3, 2/3, ... Not sufficient. Notice here that y can not be some irrational number like \(\sqrt{2}\) or \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\), because in this case 3y won't be an integer.

(1)+(2) Since both y^3 and 3y are integers then, as discussed above, y must be an integer. Sufficient.

Answer: C.


Bunnel can you explain here by putting in some values for y. I am still unable to trace how by using both I can find that y is an integer.


Sure. Generally \(\sqrt[3]{integer}\) is either an integer itself or an irrational number, it can not be some reduced fraction like 1/2 or 2/3. (The same way as \(\sqrt{integer}\) is either an integer itself or an irrational number).

From (1) \(y=integer\) or \(y=\sqrt[3]{integer}\);

From (2) \(y=integer\) or \(y=\frac{integer}{3}\);

So, from (1)+(2) \(y=integer\).

Because if from (1) \(y=\sqrt[3]{integer}\), for example if \(y=\sqrt[3]{2}\), then \(3y=integer\) won't hold true for (2): \(3y={3*\sqrt[3]{2}}\neq{integer}\). The same way: if from (2) \(y=\frac{integer}{3}\), for example if \(y=\frac{1}{3}\), then \(y^3=integer\) won't hold true for (1): \(y^3=(\frac{1}{3})^3\neq{integer}\).

Hope it's clear.


Unable to understand from the explanation provided...... how from (1) + (2) --> y=Integer ???
Can you pls provide some alternate solution/explanation.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2013
Posts: 123
Re: Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2014, 11:23
1
subhajeet wrote:
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer
(2) 3y is an integer


Statement I is insufficient

y ^ 3 = 1 y = 1 (YES y is an integer)
y ^ 3 = 2 y = 2^1/3 (y is not an integer)

Statement II is insufficient
3y = 3 y = 1 (YES y is an integer)
3y = 1 y = 1/3 (y is not an integer)

Combining is sufficient (Usually your approach should be algebraic here)
y^3 = p
3y = q

If 3y = q then the only problem which makes y not an integer is that y is a fraction which is ruled out by the first statement as Fraction ^ 3 can never be an integer. Similarly the number being a cube root (problem in the first statement) is ruled out by the second statement as 3(Surd) cannot be an integer.

Hence the answer is C
_________________

76000 Subscribers, 7 million minutes of learning delivered and 5.6 million video views

Perfect Scores
http://perfectscores.org
http://www.youtube.com/perfectscores

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2014
Posts: 1
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2014, 08:00
Hi there,

I have doubt here. As per option 1 it is given as "y^3 is an integer" which means y power, but why are we discussing cube root of y.

Switching from y^3 to cube root of y would change our answer completely. Either the question is wrong or the analysis is wrong.

Please do comment.

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49909
Re: Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2014, 09:06
Adigo wrote:
Hi there,

I have doubt here. As per option 1 it is given as "y^3 is an integer" which means y power, but why are we discussing cube root of y.

Switching from y^3 to cube root of y would change our answer completely. Either the question is wrong or the analysis is wrong.

Please do comment.

Posted from my mobile device


Everything is correct.

\(y^3=integer\) is the same as \(y=\sqrt[3]{integer}\).
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2654
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2016, 07:23
subhajeet wrote:
Is y an integer?

(1) y^3 is an integer
(2) 3y is an integer


i got to C.
1 -> what if sqrt3(y) is a non-integer? not sufficient
2 -> y can be an integer, or can be a fraction, for ex. 1/3. not sufficient.

1+2
if y^3 is an integer
and 3y is an integer
i don't think there is such a number that would be a non-integer..
thus, sufficient.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8410
Premium Member
Re: Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 21:08
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer &nbs [#permalink] 26 Jul 2018, 21:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is y an integer? (1) y^3 is an integer (2) 3y is an integer

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.