Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 19:40 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 19:40
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
BlandRhetoric wrote:
RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
BlandRhetoric wrote:
RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
BlandRhetoric wrote:
Hi, please rate my profile for ISB?

1. 10th/12th/Grad = 83/86/72. Grad is B.Tech in IT from GGSIPU.
2. Total of 4.5 years experience with 2 years in a service based MNC and 2.5 years in top tier world reknowned product based company. Currently working as a Software Engineer.
3. Wish to go into Product Management (owing to Product based experience)
4. GMAT target score is 750.
5. ECA - Black Belt in Taekwondo, Participated in various MUNs, General Secretary of college IEEE chapter, President of college LitSoc, Chief Editor of the official college magazine and event organizer in multiple events. Held public communication and placement workshop for juniors. Won debates at college. Organized multiple IEEE events in the college. Knowledge of second language - speaking proficiency (German). Regularly involved in pro bono work with current company.
6. Hobbies - Poetry, reading, playing guitar, football.

Why MBA? Need to acquire skills that will fastrack career in management.

Hello BlandRhetoric,
On the face of it, you have a compelling profile and a score for ISB.
Your ECA is interesting. Would love to understand more about your pro-bono work.
Again you haven't given much details around your work experience. You will need to focus on giving out good examples of leadership and impact from your professional life.
Chances of your success will depend on strategic positioning of your story.
Hope this helps.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Ruchi,

Thanks for the evaluation. My pro bono work includes working with children focused NGOs to develop websites for better outreach and attending workshops wherein children from different NGOs are bought to the company campus and are provided computer training, take part in handicrafts workshops and participate in workshops where they are taught about basic rights to privacy and children rights.

Leadership wise, I have been the feature lead for various features in my product, and have also lead the data anlytics team. As part of these roles, I have had to organize the feature teams, assign different aspects to each member, converse with the Product Managers and work towards the best possible feature delivery in line with customer satisfaction. I could explain in a longer post but that would be the gist of it.

Hello BlandRhetoric,
You are involved in some nice social initiatives at your work place. Again, it will depend on the number of hours you invest weekly in those initiatives, how long you have been involved, and the impact you have created there.
I would not only describe leadership as leading teams, but also as motivating teams, solving for challenges, innovating and creating impact. I think this is what you meant would take a longer post, but understanding this would be crucial to comment further.
I have two additional questions to ask:
1) How did you rank in your college at graduation percentile)?
2) How does your current role as SE further your past roles in MNC and the product-based firm?
Apologies to have not asked all the questions in one go.

Hi Ruchi,

Thanks for your continue support. I understand what you mean by leadership in that context and will try to think more deeply about it in terms of the impact I made, challenges I solved and leadership skills I exhibited. To answer your additional questions:

1) Not too high. In class of 60, I was in the top 20.
2) This is where I have an issue. I took up current role after a break in employment for 6 months and there is a certain disjointedness in my roles and career trajectory between my two firms.

Hello,
If you have a valid reason for taking a break, and if asked, you can provide an explanation. If possible, you can highlight those work experiences from your current role that matches closely with your past experience.
Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.13
Send PM

1. 10th/12th/Grad = 86.3/78.6/7.81
Grad is B.Tech in Production Engg from COEP (RANKED 1 in state colleges of Maharashtra)
2. Total of 5 years experience in core engineering and Education field. Currently working as Assistant Professor for IIT JEE.
3. Wish to learn strategy and finance side for establishing sustainable institutes
4. GMAT target score is 700-720.
5. Have founded an eatery(mess) of college hostel. Forwarded suggestions to revive the company which are implemented too.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Hi,
Firstly, a note of gratitude for doing such profile evaluations.
Really helps aspirants like me.

Profile:
Educational qual

10th - 93.27%
12th - 90.50%
BCom - Grade A, 6.9/7 CGPA
MCom - Grade O, 9.3/10 CGPA

Professional qual
Chartered Accountancy
- Qualified in Nov 2017 (Group 1 in May 2017 and Group 2 in Nov 2017)

Work experience
1) 3 years articleship in the statutory audit funtion of a Big 4 consulting firm focussing on manufacturing and logistics firms. During this stint, focus has been on accounting standards compliance , audit, financial controls reporting, overall risk mitigation, financial statement analysis.

2) 2 years stint in a big 4 consulting firm, specializing in mergers & acquisitions consulting focusing on project management, dataroom management, carve out analysis and separation blueprinting, standalone cost assessment, target operating model development and Day 1 planning.

Other aspects :
Content head and secretary to India's largest financial collegiate festival 2015.
Mentorship programme of a learning 10th grade student with a renowned NGO
Learning violin
Writing manuscript for a fiction novel

GMAT Score : Not yet appeared, targeting 700 plus.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
SilvesterJoshua wrote:
Hi,

Profile:
Educational qual

10th - 93.27%
12th - 90.50%

Professional qual
Chartered Accountancy

Work experience
1) 3 years articleship in the statutory audit funtion of a Big 4 consulting firm focussing on manufacturing and logistics firms. During this stint, focus has been on accounting standards compliance , audit, financial controls reporting, overall risk mitigation, financial statement analysis.

2) 2 years stint in a big 4 consulting firm, specializing in mergers & acquisitions consulting focusing on project management, dataroom management, carve out analysis and separation blueprinting, standalone cost assessment, target operating model development and Day 1 planning.

Other aspects :
Content head and secretary to India's largest financial collegiate festival 2015.
Learning violin

Hello SilvesterJoshua,
You indeed have a distinctive profile for ISB, with your education and work experience, which will help your chances at ISB significantly.
For one of the ISB essays, you need to talk about leadership and you should also offer a few leadership examples from your experience for a compelling case. Feel free to dig into your personal and other experience and articleship experience if you cannot think of substantive examples from your current role (you have two years of work-ex so may not have direct leadership experience, though remember leadership experience can come in lots of other forms too).
You have interesting EC too.
I could not get a sense of your goals post-MBA from your description here. Again, a lot will also depend on your GMAT score. A score of 710 or even 700 (your target) will further cement your position.
Post your GMAT, focus on putting together a compelling application.
Hope this helps.
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Expert Reply
RoughBook wrote:

Grad is B.Tech in Production Engg from COEP (RANKED 1 in state colleges of Maharashtra)
2. Total of 5 years experience in core engineering and Education field. Currently working as Assistant Professor for IIT JEE.
3. Wish to learn strategy and finance side for establishing sustainable institutes
5. Have founded an eatery(mess) of college hostel. Forwarded suggestions to revive the company which are implemented too.

Hi RoughBook,
Couple of questions
- Your current role is Asst. Professor at a coaching institute or a college?
- Is your goal post-ISB to setup your own coaching / training institute(s) and hence you need an MBA?
Your GMAT target will complement your profile. COEP is a good brand. Setting up a college café/mess is a good initiative. I worked with someone a couple of years ago with a similar venture and it enabled a long & interesting interview conversation. :)

Cheers,
Manan
Co-founder, S4G | ISB Class of 2013
-
MBA Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
SilvesterJoshua wrote:
Hi,

Profile:
Educational qual

10th - 93.27%
12th - 90.50%

Professional qual
Chartered Accountancy

Work experience

Other aspects :
Learning violin

Hi SilvesterJoshua,
While acads isn't your strongest area, you more than make up for it through the type of work experience you have and your ongoing endeavor with writing. Fyi, there are a couple of alums who have written books and done well! :)
Even though your articleship will not be considered as full-time experience for eligibility, you could highlight an example from there in the first essay to demonstrate the 'one quality' ISB is asking you to substantiate. Focus on your post-MBA goals and ensure that they are in-line with your past experience or skills you have. Employability post the program is one of the criteria which ISB looks at while assessing the application.

Hope this helps!
All the best.

-
Manan

PS: There's another successful fiction writer who has IB/M&A experience and MBA from a top b-school. You're 50% there, all the best for the MBA. Reach out in case of more questions :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.13
Send PM
S4G wrote:
RoughBook wrote:

Hi RoughBook,
Couple of questions
- Is your goal post-ISB to setup your own coaching/training institute(s) and hence you need an MBA?
Your GMAT target will complement your profile. COEP is a good brand. Setting up a college café/mess is a good initiative. I worked with someone a couple of years ago with a similar venture and it enabled a long & interesting interview conversation. :)

Cheers,
Manan
-

1. My current role as assistant prof is with a coaching Institute(Resonance, Kota)
2. Yes, my long term goal is to set up my own coaching institute.

What should be my target score?

Yeah. . .I normally have very interesting conversation with respect to mess(cafe)
MBA Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
RoughBook wrote:
S4G wrote:
RoughBook wrote:

Hi RoughBook,
Couple of questions
- Is your goal post-ISB to setup your own coaching/training institute(s) and hence you need an MBA?

Cheers,
Manan
-

1. My current role as assistant prof is with a coaching Institute(Resonance, Kota)
2. Yes, my long term goal is to set up my own coaching institute.

What should be my target score?

Yeah. . .I normally have very interesting conversation with respect to mess(cafe)

Resonance is a good brand in the JEE coaching space and your experience is very different from the usual pool of applicants. This does give you an edge. You should think hard about your short-term goal, whether you want to start right after ISB or for e.g. work at a large ed-tech / test-prep brand. In either case, you should be clear about the pros and cons of each approach and expect to be grilled in the interview.

You GMAT target of 700+ will complement your profile. Hence, aim for that!

All the best!

-Manan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi RoughBook

Your profile definitely stands out due your background and your extracurriculars. A GMAT of 700-720 should be a good score for your background. Since you have founded an eatery, you can easily link your past experience and learnings to an entrepreneurial DNA and your long term goals. Articulating short term goals that are in line with what you have achieved so far would be your next challenge. Have you thought of your short term goals yet?

Carefully crafted essays that bring out leadership experiences and go beyond highlighting academic proficiency would be extremely critical when you work on your application. A well written application along with solid GMAT should see you through.

RoughBook wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SilvesterJoshua

Excellent academic background and we are sure your GMAT would be in line too. A few thoughts on your profile:

- Since the articleship would not be considered as full time experience according to ISB rules, you would be looking at 2 years of experience. This puts extra pressure as the number of applicants are high and the pool is extremely competitive.
- The good news is we are seeing more and more CAs being admitted to the batch each year, which is in your favor. Your extracurriculars, too are a well-balanced mix of social interests and personal hobbies.
- You haven't mentioned your goals. We hope they are in line with what you have achieved this far.
- As next steps, get GMAT out of the way. 720+ should be your aim. Look for leadership examples and anecdotes that you can showcase from your work experience, this will make your profile stronger.

Hope this helps.

SilvesterJoshua wrote:
Hi,

Profile:
Educational qual

10th - 93.27%
12th - 90.50%

Professional qual
Chartered Accountancy

Work experience

Other aspects :
Learning violin

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hello Everyone,

Requesting your feedback on the below profile. Aim is to apply via EEO.
Profile:
Educational qual

10th - 9.8 CGPA
12th - 86.80%
BTech - - 6.8/10 CGPA

Work experience
1)

Extra Curricular
1) Led the largest club of university 3000 members, 1million INR revenue - Social Club(Solar Power Infrastructure Development, Livelihood for people, Helathcare facilities to poor, Round the year teaching, Fund Raisers, Vocational Training Facility Setup etc. )
2) Part of Core Committee for College fests.
3) Recognition of Leadership from university.
4) Pro bono work with 3million$ market-cap German block-chain firm.
5) Started a gaming studio. Developed 1st game. Working on second.

GMAT Score : Targeting 720.

Why MBA? - Had a failed startup in college which I was not able to scale up. To not make the gaming studio meet the same fate, need to learn more about how business work from bottom-up.

Originally posted by mbamisfit on 10 Jul 2020, 22:17.
Last edited by mbamisfit on 08 Jul 2023, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 710 Q58 V46
GRE 1: Q167 V154
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to get my profile evaluated for this year's PGP program of ISB.

Academics
10th:- 89 % state board (West Bengal)
12th:- 76 % state board (West Bengal)
UG:- 7.69 CGPA BE CSE from Birla Institute of Technology 2016 passout
Work-experience
2 years MakeMyTrip Software Engineer
2 years Paytm Senior Software Engineer
2 months (still continuing) Amazon.com Senior Software Engineer
GMAT 710

CFA level 1 cleared
CFA level 2 will be appearing this December

Post-MBA goal:-
A product manager at global internet companies like Google, Amazon, etc.
Few questions:-
1) Is my GMAT score good enough or should I aim for a higher score? Also does GMAT score matter for any company that visits the ISB campus?
2) Is it a good idea to showcase CFA credentials in the application?
3) Which round should I target and what are my chances with current scores?
4) Considering I'll be having 5 years of work experience by the time I join ISB, will it negatively impact me for any company visiting ISB?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
S4G wrote:
Hey Klopp Junior :)

Regarding your goals, you should think hard on the path towards your long-term goal, they need to be linked and clearly called out how ISB can help given that you already have a good bouquet of experience.
Another path you can explore apart from Dalberg is with firms such as Gates Foundation and Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI). Both work closely at a grassroot level and a number of ISB alumni (inc. a couple from my class) are working with these organizations. It would link well with your long-term goal.

Feel free to reach out for further queries.

All the best!

Regards,
Manan
Co-founder, S4G| ISB Class of 2013

Hi Manan,

Thank you for the feedback. I have made note of your insight regarding leadership experience and will spend some time introspecting which one will best suit my application.

Organisations like CHAI, Gates Foundation, Dell Foundation are also interesting propositions so I shall include them as a part of my short-term goals.

RUCHIPCONSULTING wrote:
Hello kloppismydad,

Thanks for writing in. You have a very diverse and distinctive profile, and lots from your experience to talk about in your essays. However, since you say you are a re-applicant, which year did you apply before? Did you interview? Assuming you weren’t offered a seat, do you have any feedback from ISB around your application or any self-analysis around this? That could be a starting point for your application this year.

On the basis of what you have mentioned, here is my advice:
1) Considering you have a low GPA in undergrad, you could retake GRE, and also address the issue, if need arises.
2) Your experience is distinctive but needs to be stitched into a story with a theme. For example, you are an entrepreneur currently and were one to begin with, but took jobs in between. Your first two experiences are linked, but you may want to talk about what inspired you to work as a political analyst and then open your own firm again. I am sure you have a rationale, but will have to be explained to the AdCom.
3) You are divided between two ST goals, which are not linked, so you may want to straighten your story there.

All the best!!

I applied last year (December 2019) and got dinged without an interview. I believe my recommender was unable to send in his recommendation within the stipulated time-frame since he faced an emergency at home. A bit of a hard pill to swallow but it's a part of life.

Despite that, I believe I would have faced challenges due to my GPA (specifically my awful grades in Finance). I think the best antidote to that will be performing well on the GRE though I also have enrolled for a finance course to showcase my comfort with the subject.

I have a question for you and Manan: With respect to the short term goals, I'm still a bit torn between working in a product/strategy role at a tech startup to learn about product management and scaling, learnings which can be applied later to entrepreneurship. The other option is getting work experience in the social sector which directly relates to my area of interest in entrepreneurship. One gives me a diverse set of skills applicable in a variety of sectors while the other gives me very specific skill which may give me a headstart. Should some more introspection and research be done to finalise my ST goal?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
sidshocker wrote:
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to get my profile evaluated for this year's PGP program of ISB.

Academics
10th:- 89 % state board (West Bengal)
12th:- 76 % state board (West Bengal)
UG:- 7.69 CGPA BE CSE from Birla Institute of Technology 2016 passout
Work-experience
2 years MakeMyTrip Software Engineer
2 years Paytm Senior Software Engineer
2 months (still continuing) Amazon.com Senior Software Engineer
GMAT 710

CFA level 1 cleared
CFA level 2 will be appearing this December

1) Is my GMAT score good enough or should I aim for a higher score? Also does GMAT score matter for any company that visits the ISB campus?
4) Considering I'll be having 5 years of work experience by the time I join ISB, will it negatively impact me for any company visiting ISB?

Hello sidshocker,
Your WE will not be a big differentiator for you, though one thing that will work in your favor is you have worked with big names. A lot will depend on how you talk about your demonstrated leadership potential, the impact that you have created at work, which distinguishes you and positions you for success in future.
Your GMAT score compares with the average GMAT score for ISB. It will definitely benefit you to retake GMAT, only if you think you can increase the score by 20-30 points, and also keep in mind the application deadline and that you would need 4-6 weeks to put a compelling application forward.
Though clearing CFA Level 1 adds to your profile, it does not match with your post-MBA goal or what you are doing currently.
Average experience at ISB is 4.3 years, which is in line with your experience, so you should not be at any disadvantage.
Your chances of success will depend with the strategic positioning of your profile and a good story. You should definitely aim for a higher GMAT score, if you can, but must apply even with a 710.
Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Hi,

Profile:
Educational qual

10th - 93.27%
12th - 90.50%

Professional qual
Chartered Accountancy

Work experience

Other aspects :
Learning violin
Writing manuscript for a fiction novel.
Blog and poem writing.
Passionate interest in debates, elocutions and like literary interests.

GMAT Score : Not yet appeared, targeting 700 plus

Post MBA Goals :
To function in the strategy wing of a multinational corporation (preferably manufacturing) focussing on local and global business opportunity assessment and planning, inclusive of any M&A strategies, with the long term objective of serving as a member on the board of directors of such corporation.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mbamisfit wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Requesting your feedback on the below profile. Aim is to apply via EEO.
Profile:
Educational qual

10th - 9.8 CGPA
12th - 86.80%
BTech - Manipal university - 6.8/10 CGPA

Work experience
1) 10 months(as of date) with Human Capital Consulting of a Big 4. Consulted Fortune 100 Clients, received client/partner appreciation. Led 11 member development team to create tools to increase Profitability of the practice. Highest Performance Rating and two awards.

Extra Curricular
1) Led the largest club of university 3000 members, 1million INR revenue - Social Club(Solar Power Infrastructure Development, Livelihood for people, Helathcare facilities to poor, Round the year teaching, Fund Raisers, Vocational Training Facility Setup etc. )
2) Part of Core Committee for College fests.
3) Recognition of Leadership from university.
4) Pro bono work with 3million$ market-cap German block-chain firm.
5) Started a gaming studio. Developed 1st game. Working on second.

GMAT Score : Targeting 720.

Why MBA? - Had a failed startup in college which I was not able to scale up. To not make the gaming studio meet the same fate, need to learn more about how business work from bottom-up.

Hello mbamisfit,
Your undergrad CGPA is little on the lower side, so you should aim to get a higher GMAT score to demonstrate academic rigor.
You are working in a brand, which should be in your favor. I am curious, and am sure so would the AdCom be, that you have experience in leading a 11-member team at work in such a short time. May be it will be a good experience for you to share in your essays.
You have diverse EC interests, though again I would need some clarification to comment further. You seem to have been involved in almost all kinds of social activities through your social club. Your EC are interesting too. One tip would be to make sure your EC reflect some sort of a common theme.
You say you had a failed startup at college, but haven’t given any details here.
I will have to understand more about your gaming studio idea to comment on how it will come across as a post-MBA goal, since you are pursuing this with a job.
Overall, you have a very interesting profile and good chances.
Hope this helps.
MBA Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
sidshocker wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hi sidshocker,
Acads aren't your strongest suite and the overall profile is from the competitive IT/ITes pool. Hence, the need for showcasing achievements and leadership instances within your work-ex in a highly structured manner is very high for you. Do demonstrate a good understanding of the user's journey for the product(s) you worked on at MMT, Paytm and Amazon- the adcom and interviewers would relate to all three apps/products as they are highly used. Your post-MBA goals are in-line with your current work-ex. Regarding your questions,

1) You should take another shot at GMAT and aim for an increase of at least 20 points. In parallel, start working on your application. However, in case you aren't confident of achieving at least a 730, then don't divert your energies there. A few consulting firms consider GMAT as one of the components while shortlisting but it is a small one
2) Yes, you must show CFA. However, do expect to be grilled around why you're working towards it since your goal is to get into product management. There are creative ways to show a connection and relevance between the two and your long-term goals
3) You should target R1 as you have a shot at all the seats + scholarships and R2 would be highly competitive since a number of applicants under the 'wait & watch' mode would apply
4) No, ~5 years' experience doesn't adversely impact your placement chances. There are a number of roles in your target firms requiring this level of experience

Feel free to reach out for further questions. All the best.

-
Manan
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  180   181   182   183   184  ...  307