Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [4]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Re: It is safe to say that no class of women in the civilized world is sub [#permalink]
Offical answer for Q2 please!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
It is safe to say that no class of women in the civilized world is sub [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sofronie wrote:
Offical answer for Q2 please!

Official Explanation

Q2) From the information in the passage, it can be concluded that each of the following may be part of an American housekeeper‘s job EXCEPT:

Difficulty Level: 600

Explanation

The passage does not mention that a housekeeper needs to buy groceries, so (E) should be the best answer.

A - The 2nd para states that food is wasted by ignorance about the needed amount of food
B - Moth infestation‘ is mentioned as a problem in the 2nd para
C - Again mentioned in the 2nd para
D - Clearly implied in the 2nd para

Answer: E
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [2]
Send PM
Re: It is safe to say that no class of women in the civilized world is sub [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
nityakaul02 wrote:
difficulty 600 or 650 ?

Question #1: 600
Question #2: 600
Question #3: 700

PS: This is not a good idea to go so deep in numbers, I would recommend you to concentrate on your prep rather knowing the difficulty level of questions in such way, this is not as much important for your prep.

Regards
Sajjad
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
SajjadAhmad Official answer for Q3, Thanks!!!
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [2]
Send PM
It is safe to say that no class of women in the civilized world is sub [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
prateekchugh wrote:

Official Explanation

Q3) Which of the following would the author of the passage most likely agree with?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The opening lines of the 2nd para compare housekeeping with any other skill and state that it can be improved through training. Hence (A) should be the best answer.

B - The 1st para states that housekeeping can be a test of one‘s temper but this does not necessarily imply that it can make one short-tempered

C - The first lines of the 2nd para state the opposite

D - Opposite as described in C above

E - The passage does not mention this anywhere. In fact the passage mostly ascribes housekeeping tasks to women

Answer: A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.72
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi SajjadAhmad,

I chose Choice B over Choice A in Q3 for the below reasoning.

I could not infer Choice A for Q3 from the passage. Agree that the passage gave an analogy to business training and said no training involved for Housekeeping. It did not clearly mention that the training improves one's house keeping skills.

From the passage "It is safe to say that no class of women in the civilized world is subjected to such incessant trials of temper, and such temptations to be fretful, as the American housekeeper." Based on these lines I went with Option B.

I was doubtful with choice B too cause of the bolded word >> "B. Housekeeping can make one short-tempered" .

Went ahead with choice B as One could mean the person other than who is actually doing house keeping.

I do not know where to draw the lines in these kind of questions. Can you please help.

Thanks in advance.
Harsh
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32886 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harsh9676 wrote:
Hi SajjadAhmad,

I chose Choice B over Choice A in Q3 for the below reasoning.

I could not infer Choice A for Q3 from the passage. Agree that the passage gave an analogy to business training and said no training involved for Housekeeping. It did not clearly mention that the training improves one's house keeping skills.

From the passage "It is safe to say that no class of women in the civilized world is subjected to such incessant trials of temper, and such temptations to be fretful, as the American housekeeper." Based on these lines I went with Option B.

I was doubtful with choice B too cause of the bolded word >> "B. Housekeeping can make one short-tempered" .

Went ahead with choice B as One could mean the person other than who is actually doing house keeping.

I do not know where to draw the lines in these kind of questions. Can you please help.

Thanks in advance.
Harsh

Let me know if this helps

https://gmatclub.com/forum/it-is-safe-t ... l#p2565971

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Sazzad,
What is the meaning of "such temptations to be fretful" in the ist sentence of opening para? Does it mean "no class of women in the civilized world is subjected to such temptations to be fretful", or, does it mean simply, " It is safe to say that such temptations to be fretful"?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Jamiul wrote:
Dear Sazzad,
What is the meaning of "such temptations to be fretful" in the ist sentence of opening para? Does it mean "no class of women in the civilized world is subjected to such temptations to be fretful", or, does it mean simply, " It is safe to say that such temptations to be fretful"?

such temptations to be fretful is referring back to such incessant trials of temper, It is not referring to the complete clause (no class of women in the civilized world is subjected to such temptations to be fretful).

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Dear Sazzad,

Thanks for ur reply. but i have a little more doubt:

The 1st line probably means: No class of women is subjected to such continuous test of temper and is facing such temptations (ie test of tempers)to become annoyed (by these temptations & test of temper) as the US housekeepers are exposed to.
Is my interpretation correct?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
Jamiul wrote:
Dear Sazzad,

Thanks for ur reply. but i have a little more doubt:

The 1st line probably means: No class of women is subjected to such continuous test of temper and is facing such temptations (ie test of tempers)to become annoyed (by these temptations & test of temper) as the US housekeepers are exposed to.
Is my interpretation correct?

Hi Jamiul,

Your interpretation is correct. The first line of the passage means that no class of women in the civilized world has been subjected to test of temper and feels such an irritation as does an American Housekeeper.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
prateekchugh wrote:

Official Explanation

Q3) Which of the following would the author of the passage most likely agree with?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The opening lines of the 2nd para compare housekeeping with any other skill and state that it can be improved through training. Hence (A) should be the best answer.

B - The 1st para states that housekeeping can be a test of one‘s temper but this does not necessarily imply that it can make one short-tempered

C - The first lines of the 2nd para state the opposite

D - Opposite as described in C above

E - The passage does not mention this anywhere. In fact the passage mostly ascribes housekeeping tasks to women

Sajjad1994 GMATNinja , I can't understand the reasoning given for option A. Nowhere author compares it with other skills. He says that housekeeping is an instinctive work and people take it for granted and that's the difficulty associated with it.
Also I think that first sentence in 2nd para says something about it. But in the sentence: One difficulty associated with housekeeping lies in taking for granted that successful housekeeping is as much an instinct as that which leads the young bird to nest-building, and that no specific training is required.
I thought difficulty part is associated with 1st part i.e taking for granted. And 2nd part from 'and that no specific training is required" is a separate independent clause. Thus in totality housekeeping doesn't require any skill, just instinct.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
rickyric395 wrote:
Sajjad1994 GMATNinja , I can't understand the reasoning given for option A. Nowhere author compares it with other skills. He says that housekeeping is an instinctive work and people take it for granted and that's the difficulty associated with it.
Also I think that first sentence in 2nd para says something about it. But in the sentence: One difficulty associated with housekeeping lies in taking for granted that successful housekeeping is as much an instinct as that which leads the young bird to nest-building, and that no specific training is required.
I thought difficulty part is associated with 1st part i.e taking for granted. And 2nd part from 'and that no specific training is required" is a separate independent clause. Thus in totality housekeeping doesn't require any skill, just instinct.

A. Housekeeping skills can be improved through training:
This option aligns with the main point of the passage. The author argues that many women mistakenly assume that successful housekeeping is instinctual and doesn't require specific training. However, the author suggests that housekeeping skills can indeed be improved through training. This would involve learning proper techniques for cooking, cleaning, managing resources, and other aspects of household management. By acquiring the necessary knowledge and skills, housekeepers can be more effective and less prone to trials of temper and fretfulness.

B. Housekeeping can make one short-tempered:
This option is not explicitly stated in the passage, though it can be inferred from the text. The author mentions that the American housekeeper is subjected to incessant trials of temper and temptations to be fretful. These challenges and difficulties associated with housekeeping can indeed lead to short-temperedness and frustration. While the passage doesn't directly state that housekeeping causes short-temperedness, it implies that the burdens of housekeeping can have a negative impact on one's temperament.

C. Housekeeping is for the most part an instinctive task:
This option is contradicted by the passage. The author argues against the notion that housekeeping is instinctual and requires no specific training. Instead, the passage emphasizes the need for a better understanding of housekeeping and the recognition that training and knowledge are essential for successful household management.

D. In some aspects, housekeeping is similar to nest-building:
This option is not explicitly discussed in the passage. The passage doesn't draw a direct comparison between housekeeping and nest-building. Instead, it focuses on the challenges and difficulties of housekeeping, the misconception that it is instinctual, and the need for training. While there may be some similarities between certain aspects of housekeeping and nest-building (e.g., creating a comfortable and functional living space), the passage does not make this specific analogy.

E. Housekeeping tasks can be done by both men and women:
This option is not directly addressed in the passage, but it can be reasonably assumed to be true based on the general context. The passage does not specify that housekeeping tasks are exclusively for women. While it does mention a large proportion of women undertaking housekeeping, it does not exclude men from participating in household management. The main focus of the passage is on the challenges of housekeeping and the importance of proper training, rather than the gender roles involved.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts