Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
MS1014 wrote:
Does inventory turns over? If not why not go for D?

Hello MS1014, brandy96, Mayank221133,

Choice D seems to be a very confusing one. This choice is incorrect for the structure of the clause "how frequently is the inventory turned over". This structure is NOT a statement. It is a question because the verb "is" appears before the subject "the inventory". Take a good look at the similar structure in the non-underlined portion - "how items are placed on shelves". This structure is a statement because here the verb "are placed" appears after the subject "items".

We do not need a question in this sentence. We need two statements that are parallel. Because the second element in the list appears as a question, Choice D is incorrect.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed [#permalink]
Is turnover really the same thing as "turns over"?

Turns over sounds more like something is overturned or tumbled over.

I would def use turnover as one word.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bambi2021 wrote:
Is turnover really the same thing as "turns over"?

Turns over sounds more like something is overturned or tumbled over.

I would def use turnover as one word.

Hi Bambi2021,

Turnover is a noun, whereas turn over is a verb. The meaning you're thinking about is definitely one way to use "turn over".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear experts,

Can we omit “how” ?

For example, how xxxxxxxx and how yyyyyyy. —-> how x and y

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Schools: WBS CEIBS
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V32
Send PM
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed [#permalink]
For me, the correct answer easily replicates the meaning of the original sentence with the correct structure.

B,C and D eliminated because of the word "often". Original sentence states "can be" the meaning of which is different that "often"

Left with A and E. A is eliminated because it is not parallel - "How X and How Y"

D is correct by elimination
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Tanchat

If HOW applies to two different subjects, we should generally repeat it. Because we are typically introducing a clause, the second HOW cues us to expect a new clause. We might get away with a simple construction such as "I want to know how airplanes fly and boats stay afloat," but it seems clearer to add that second HOW in this case, too.

If we have a HOW that applies to two related actions for one subject, we can get away without repeating: "I want to know how Karina started her business and expanded it internationally." In a sense, that's really just one big thing we want to know. However, If we say "I want to know how Karina started her business and found a cheap apartment in Manhattan," it wouldn't make sense, since the single HOW makes these two items seem more linked than they really are.

In the context of our original sentence, we have an additional reason to use HOW twice. It's not just that we have two subjects: items and inventory. HOW is also used in two different ways. One is about the way in which something is done, while the other uses "how frequently" to the rate at which something happens. We definitely cannot skip the second HOW in such a case.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [1]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
The lesson here? Unlike verbs and prepositions (without commas), interrogative pronouns—aka reporter's requisitions—such as who, what, when, where, why, whose, which, whom & how do not carry over to the next clause.

"I taught my daughter how to change a tire and to peel an orange." is not correct.

Instead, say:

"I taught my daughter how to change a tire and how to peel an orange."

Of course, as is common on the GMAT, the arguably best solution is not given:

"I taught my daughter how to change a tire and peel an orange."

This works because prepositions without commas carry over unless changed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I would keep it simple, The easiest explanation can be taken meaning wise,

(D) how frequently is the inventory turned over are often
This gives a past historic data, and accurate for 1 time instance, Lets say for Walmart in 2020, how frequently is the inventory turned over

(E) how frequently the inventory turns over can be
This gives a general principal , about the inventory and hence its is parallel to another general principal (Placement of packets)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 456
Send PM
The question is testing Parallelism
as we know what is being tested it gets easier to tackle the Question
by Scanning the Option we can Eliminate A,B,C Due to wrong parallelism
Between D&E
D has awkward Construction
Answer-E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 336
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMATninja

Thank you for your awesome explanations to the other questions that I had posted on the GMAT club forum

I want to know how to tackle this question. Here's what I mean by that

When I read the question the first time I knew that the question was testing the concept of parallelism. "and" jumped off the page at me. Also, from the sentence structure, I understood that I would need a second "how" in this sentence. And I could quickly narrow it down to Option D and E.

I am having a really hard time choosing Option E over Option D. Also, this particular question tests my understanding of placing a subject before a verb in a declarative sentence. (This is the first time I am reading the concept, I understood the concept from the explanations posted on this question thread). And the concept is not tested very often ( there can be many concepts like these which I might not know off), and in case if I do not know that how to tackle questions like these. What to do in cases like this?

And I choose D over E for this question.

D. It is well known in the supermarket industry that X and Y are often crucial to profits.

( If it is already well known why can't we use "are". )

E. It is well known in the supermarket industry that X and Y can be crucial to profits
(If it is already well known why do we use "can". "are" is a better choice)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Tanchat wrote:
Dear experts,

Can we omit “how” ?

For example, how xxxxxxxx and how yyyyyyy. —-> how x and y

The simple answer to your question is "No".

Because "How" is not carried over to other clause.

Appreciate your question.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Meaning
In the super market industry, two things are known for being crucial to profits
1. How items are placed
2. How frequently the inventory turns over

A Incorrect
Parallel structure error ""how items are places"" and ""the frequency....."" share the same verb ""can be"", but they are not in a parallel form. the former being a how clause and the latter being a noun phrase
B Incorrect
it still has the same problem as A and introducing "is often" changes meaning
C Incorrect
the same parallel problem as A and B
D Incorrect
It solves the parallel issues seen in A, B and C
Grammar error "how frequently is the inventory turned over are often" is wrong. And "are often" changes the intended meaning of the sentence
E Correct
Solves the parallel problem and use ""can be"" to convey intended meaning of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
between D&E,

1. D change meaning from "can be crucial" to "are often crucial"
2. how items are placed is not // to how frequently is the inventory turned over

correct saying should be how frequently the inventory is turned over, or how frequently the inventory turns over (E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
grad_mba wrote:
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits.

(A) the frequency of inventory turnovers can be

(B) the frequency of inventory turnovers is often

(C) the frequency with which the inventory turns over is often

(D) how frequently is the inventory turned over are often

(E) how frequently the inventory turns over can be

The logic that I used goes like this -

the non-underlined part of the argument says - "how items are placed" the construction here is like - "question word + noun + verb"
so I was looking for something similar in the options, option E is exactly like this with extra adverb.

how frequently inventory turns

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
Dalinar wrote:
A few other people have mentioned it, but I still haven't seen it addressed - this looks like a flawed question.

Choice A is correct, except that it's not parallel.
Choice E is correct, except that it's not passive. I've seen several people cite this as a point in E's favor, but even GMAT grammar doesn't blindly dictate that "active is better than passive". It depends on who is doing the action. Here, inventory doesn't turn over on it's own. The boxes don't walk off the shelves so the part "the inventory turns over" is technically wrong. "How frequently the inventory is turned over can be" would be correct.

No, yes, why?

perfectstranger wrote:

D) how frequently is the inventory turned over are often = How + verb + noun
(E) how frequently the inventory turns over can be = how + noun + verb

Therefore D out . E is right.

Dalinar

The reason that this flipping is not acceptable follows from a basic grammar rule:

When we frame a question (interrogative sentence), the verb must come before the subject.
Example: How is it done?

However when the same idea is expressed in a statement (declarative sentence), the verb follows the subject:
Example:
Declarative correct: I asked him how it is done.
Declarative wrong: I asked him how is it done.

Compare the above with the sentence given in the problem:
Interrogative: How frequently is the inventory turned over?
Declarative correct: How frequently the inventory is turned over is crucial.
Declaraive wrong: How frequently is the inventory turned over is crucial.

understand your point.. but can you help me in another aspect?
i thought that the usage should be passive.. i mean does inventory turns on its own? i thought no, and i selected D for the very reason.

thank u !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V37
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q169 V155
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja and any other GMAT tutors out reading this

Like most people, I was able to narrow it down to D and E. Between D and E, meaning doesn't seem to be much different to me. After reading all the explanations and thinking over my analysis when I attempted it, I am not able to process how to get fresh questions such as this one correct on actual exam. The only explanation I have been able to come up with is to maybe differentiate the meaning of the sentence based on "often" VS "can be".
Can you provide help me improve my thought process here?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prince11goyal wrote:
GMATNinja and any other GMAT tutors out reading this

Like most people, I was able to narrow it down to D and E. Between D and E, meaning doesn't seem to be much different to me. After reading all the explanations and thinking over my analysis when I attempted it, I am not able to process how to get fresh questions such as this one correct on actual exam. The only explanation I have been able to come up with is to maybe differentiate the meaning of the sentence based on "often" VS "can be".
Can you provide help me improve my thought process here?

Hi prince11goyal,

Some people believe that it's safer to aim for the same meaning as in option A, so they may be comfortable taking a call on the basis of often vs. can be. Others (including me) think that option A is not special, and we can't assume that it always carries the right meaning. In this question, option A and E both use can be, but that doesn't tell us anything about a completely different question on the actual GMAT.

As for your question about getting such questions correct, I would advise you to learn from every such question. Every time you miss something, make a note of it and revise it until you think you've got it. Even then, there's no guarantee that we won't end up in a similar situation during the exam. In such cases, eliminate as many options as you can, and if you really can't come to a final answer, just guess and move on.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts