Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
deucebigalow wrote:
cumulonimbus wrote:
grad_mba wrote:
445)
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits.

(A) the frequency of inventory turnovers can be
(B) the frequency of inventory turnovers is often
(C) the frequency with which the inventory turns over is often
(D) how frequently is the inventory turned over are often
(E) how frequently the inventory turns over can be

HI Egmat/Daagh/Vercules/Experts,

Can you please explain why is E chosen over D?
This is probably the first question where I have come across this rule - sequencing/arrangement of noun vs verb, mattering(is this a wrong word?) in parallelism.

Anyhow, I ended up choosing D - because I saw both
- (how) items are placed, and
- (how frequently) is the inventory turned over

as PASSIVE.

Please explain where I am wrong. And it would be great if you can point me other such examples where N-V order matters.

KR,

I totally agree.. and ı don't get how the OA uses an active and a passive clause together and keeps the parallelism.

You should make similar grammatical structures parallel, viz., a clause with a clause, a noun with a noun, a participle with a participle etc. A clause in passive voice and one in active voice are after all both clauses, and it is perfectly alright to make them parallel. There is no rule whatsoever in GMAT that an active voice clause cannot be parallel to a passive voice clause - the very fact that both are clauses is sufficient enough to establish valid parallelism.

Why D is grammatically incorrect has already been explained in the following post:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/it-is-well-k ... l#p1647472
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed [#permalink]
Why is not B? I'm confused between B and E
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shivikaa, "is" in B is wrong because we have a plural (compound) subject. Two different things are crucial: How items are placed and how frequently the inventory turns over. Notice that in B, we also have a parallelism problem. "The frequency" doesn't match well with "how items are placed."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
grad_mba wrote:
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits.

(A) the frequency of inventory turnovers can be

(B) the frequency of inventory turnovers is often

(C) the frequency with which the inventory turns over is often

(D) how frequently is the inventory turned over are often

(E) how frequently the inventory turns over can be

2Summarize all explanations:

1. The concept of parallelism solves anything here.
1.1. First of all, we need "how" in the second part to maintain parallelism in this sentence -----> A, B, C are out.
1.2. Second of all, again parallelism.
First part: how items are placed on shelves - first comes noun, second comes verb
D: how frequently is the inventory turned over - first come "is", than comes "the inventory" (and it is not even important that "turned over" comes after the noun)
E: how frequently the inventory turns over - first comes noun, second comes verb

So, only in E all parts are parallel. Verb after noun, so we have to choose E.

2. From sayantanc2k:
"When we frame a question (interrogative sentence), the verb must come before the subject.
Example: How is it done?
However when the same idea is expressed in a statement (declarative sentence), the verb follows the subject:
Example:
Declarative correct: I asked him how it is done.
Declarative wrong: I asked him how is it done."

Our case: we have to choose E.

3. From l0rrie: "If you look closely, you see that the sentence just isn't right.. Compare: how ARE placed (present) + how TURNS (present) and how ARE placed (present) + how TURNED (past)"
Again, parallelism. Present has to be with present, not with the past.

E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
AjiteshArun Why option D is wrong here? Is "are" correct in option D?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [4]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bishal123456789 wrote:
Hi Bishal123456789,

There are a couple of ways we can take option D out:

1. The placement of is is incorrect. If we ask a question (like something with a question mark after it), we change the normal order of the subject and verb (the normal order is subject first):

How long is the movie? ← Here the verb is placed before the subject.

But if we say that we asked something (like I asked X) then we have to use the normal order:

I ask them how long the movie is... ← Inside the X (how long the movie is), we stick to the normal order.

Similarly, we cannot go with:

... how frequently is the inventory turned over... ← Here the is in the verb is turned over is placed before the subject. This is incorrect.

We can see the same thing in the non-underlined part:

... how items are placed on shelves... ← This is what the sentence uses, and it's correct.
... how are items placed on shelves... ← This is incorrect.

2. Is turned over is passive, and therefore implies that someone or something is turning the inventory over. This is not very likely to be the intended meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
We are not allowed to change the meaning of the original sentence . I know E maintains ||ism but in original sentence it is saying turnovers and in E it's saying turns over.
So why is E going to be the answer ? Please clarify . Thanks in advance and kudos is waiting.. :please
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
soumya170293 wrote:
We are not allowed to change the meaning of the original sentence . I know E maintains ||ism but in original sentence it is saying turnovers and in E it's saying turns over.
So why is E going to be the answer ? Please clarify . Thanks in advance and kudos is waiting.. :please
Hi soumya170293,

You are right in saying that turnover (a noun) is different from turn over (a verb). However, there are a couple of things we need to keep in mind here:
1. Using verbs instead of nouns doesn't always lead to a significant change in the meaning of the sentence.
2. More importantly, option A may or may not contain the intended meaning, so we shouldn't consider it to be more important than the other options.

Take a look at this post as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Bishal123456789 wrote:
Hi Bishal123456789,

There are a couple of ways we can take option D out:

1. The placement of is is incorrect. If we ask a question (like something with a question mark after it), we change the normal order of the subject and verb (the normal order is subject first):

How long is the movie? ← Here the verb is placed before the subject.

But if we say that we asked something (like I asked X) then we have to use the normal order:

I ask them how long the movie is... ← Inside the X (how long the movie is), we stick to the normal order.

Similarly, we cannot go with:

... how frequently is the inventory turned over... ← Here the is in the verb is turned over is placed before the subject. This is incorrect.

We can see the same thing in the non-underlined part:

... how items are placed on shelves... ← This is what the sentence uses, and it's correct.
... how are items placed on shelves... ← This is incorrect.

2. Is turned over is passive, and therefore implies that someone or something is turning the inventory over. This is not very likely to be the intended meaning.

Hi AjiteshArun,
From D, I thought like inventory is turned over by someone because of the frequent change in placement of items.
but in E, inventory turns over-> means inventory by itself turns over...please clarify me on this.
I think im missing some meaning here.

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM