GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 17:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 08:52
A few other people have mentioned it, but I still haven't seen it addressed - this looks like a flawed question.

Choice A is correct, except that it's not parallel.
Choice E is correct, except that it's not passive. I've seen several people cite this as a point in E's favor, but even GMAT grammar doesn't blindly dictate that "active is better than passive". It depends on who is doing the action. Here, inventory doesn't turn over on it's own. The boxes don't walk off the shelves so the part "the inventory turns over" is technically wrong. "How frequently the inventory is turned over can be" would be correct.

No, yes, why?
Intern
Intern
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 10:54
I completely agree; D is irredeemably wrong.
What you say is correct is the same as what I said: "how frequently the inventory is turned over".

However, E puts it in the active voice "the inventory turns over", meaning the inventory is moving itself on and off the shelf. I understand GMAT accepts E as the best answer. They apparently prefer errors in voice (E) over errors in parallelism (A).

I'm just confirming, this is an error in voice? Or, is there an idiomatic thing where we can say the inventory "turns" when it's really being acted on rather than acting?
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 11:22
Dalinar wrote:
I completely agree; D is irredeemably wrong.
What you say is correct is the same as what I said: "how frequently the inventory is turned over".

However, E puts it in the active voice "the inventory turns over", meaning the inventory is moving itself on and off the shelf. I understand GMAT accepts E as the best answer. They apparently prefer errors in voice (E) over errors in parallelism (A).

I'm just confirming, this is an error in voice? Or, is there an idiomatic thing where we can say the inventory "turns" when it's really being acted on rather than acting?

Dalinar

Here the idiom turn over (used in active voice) means to be replaced by something of the same kind. This is an idiomatic usage - changing to passive voice no longer retains its meaning.

The idiom turn over may be used to express quite a few other meanings - in most of these cases changing to passive voice is acceptable:
to start: The engine turned over.... The engine was turned over.
to earn revenue: The company turns over 6 billion dollars ...... 6 billions dollars are turned over by the company.

Although some think that GMAC prefers active to passive, I cannot recollect coming across any example which is wrong solely because of use of passive.
Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.2
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 08:02
even after reviewing this question so many times, I still have not understood why A is incorrect. 'how items are placed on shelves' and 'the frequency of inventory turnovers' can be perfectly parallel according to me.

Experts please advise why A is wrong.
Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 06:46
OreoShake wrote:
even after reviewing this question so many times, I still have not understood why A is incorrect. 'how items are placed on shelves' and 'the frequency of inventory turnovers' can be perfectly parallel according to me.

Experts please advise why A is wrong.

In Option A, "how items are placed" is a clause whereas "the frequency of inventory turnovers" is a noun phrase. A noun/ noun phrase would not ideally be used in parallel with a clause.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 14:12
cumulonimbus wrote:
grad_mba wrote:
445)
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits.

(A) the frequency of inventory turnovers can be
(B) the frequency of inventory turnovers is often
(C) the frequency with which the inventory turns over is often
(D) how frequently is the inventory turned over are often
(E) how frequently the inventory turns over can be

HI Egmat/Daagh/Vercules/Experts,

Can you please explain why is E chosen over D?
This is probably the first question where I have come across this rule - sequencing/arrangement of noun vs verb, mattering(is this a wrong word?) in parallelism.

Anyhow, I ended up choosing D - because I saw both
- (how) items are placed, and
- (how frequently) is the inventory turned over

as PASSIVE.

Please explain where I am wrong. And it would be great if you can point me other such examples where N-V order matters.

KR,

I totally agree.. and ı don't get how the OA uses an active and a passive clause together and keeps the parallelism.
Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 06:33
deucebigalow wrote:
cumulonimbus wrote:
grad_mba wrote:
445)
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits.

HI Egmat/Daagh/Vercules/Experts,

Can you please explain why is E chosen over D?
This is probably the first question where I have come across this rule - sequencing/arrangement of noun vs verb, mattering(is this a wrong word?) in parallelism.

Anyhow, I ended up choosing D - because I saw both
- (how) items are placed, and
- (how frequently) is the inventory turned over

as PASSIVE.

Please explain where I am wrong. And it would be great if you can point me other such examples where N-V order matters.

KR,

I totally agree.. and ı don't get how the OA uses an active and a passive clause together and keeps the parallelism.

You should make similar grammatical structures parallel, viz., a clause with a clause, a noun with a noun, a participle with a participle etc. A clause in passive voice and one in active voice are after all both clauses, and it is perfectly alright to make them parallel. There is no rule whatsoever in GMAT that an active voice clause cannot be parallel to a passive voice clause - the very fact that both are clauses is sufficient enough to establish valid parallelism.

Why D is grammatically incorrect has already been explained in the following post:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/it-is-well-k ... l#p1647472
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 12:44
Why is not B? I'm confused between B and E
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 17:41
Shivikaa, "is" in B is wrong because we have a plural (compound) subject. Two different things are crucial: How items are placed and how frequently the inventory turns over. Notice that in B, we also have a parallelism problem. "The frequency" doesn't match well with "how items are placed."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 08:07
A,B,C - unparallel how item.. and the.
D - "turned over" --> distorts the meaning.

Hence, E is the Answer.

Let's share some kudos together.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 06:35
grad_mba wrote:

2Summarize all explanations:

1. The concept of parallelism solves anything here.
1.1. First of all, we need "how" in the second part to maintain parallelism in this sentence -----> A, B, C are out.
1.2. Second of all, again parallelism.
First part: how items are placed on shelves - first comes noun, second comes verb
D: how frequently is the inventory turned over - first come "is", than comes "the inventory" (and it is not even important that "turned over" comes after the noun)
E: how frequently the inventory turns over - first comes noun, second comes verb

So, only in E all parts are parallel. Verb after noun, so we have to choose E.

2. From sayantanc2k:
"When we frame a question (interrogative sentence), the verb must come before the subject.
Example: How is it done?
However when the same idea is expressed in a statement (declarative sentence), the verb follows the subject:
Example:
Declarative correct: I asked him how it is done.
Declarative wrong: I asked him how is it done."

Our case: we have to choose E.

3. From l0rrie: "If you look closely, you see that the sentence just isn't right.. Compare: how ARE placed (present) + how TURNS (present) and how ARE placed (present) + how TURNED (past)"
Again, parallelism. Present has to be with present, not with the past.

E.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2018, 06:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap