Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Pankaj0901 wrote:
I understand the correct parallelism in Option E. But, I have a doubt on options A and B, as none of the explanations seem to explain this.

Why cannot we break the parallel sentences in options A and B as below?

Consider option A:

It is well known in the supermarket industry that HOW
- items are placed on shelves
AND
- the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits

This implies:
It is well known in the supermarket industry that HOW items are placed on shelves;
AND
It is well known in the supermarket industry that HOW the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits

Similarly Option B can be broken down. What is wrong with this interpretation?

AndrewN - Can you please guide?

grad_mba wrote:
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits.

(A) the frequency of inventory turnovers can be

(B) the frequency of inventory turnovers is often

(C) the frequency with which the inventory turns over is often

(D) how frequently is the inventory turned over are often

(E) how frequently the inventory turns over can be

Hello, Pankaj0901. Any time you find yourself bending over backwards to justify an option, you are almost certainly missing something simpler (and correct). If you disfavor an explanation invoking grammatical parallelism, consider a similar explanation based on logical predication. Here, items are physical objects, whereas a frequency is not. However, inventory is a collective noun that refers to goods, so it is, in a sense, another physical object. (I can reach out and touch the inventory at a grocery store.) Hence, we should look to either (D) or (E) to deliver on the logical pairing of X, physical objects, with Y, other physical objects (even if they are grouped under a singular collective noun).

Perhaps the issue makes more sense now. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep
I have a doubt on options A and B

Consider option A:

AND

This implies:
It is well known in the supermarket industry that HOW items are placed on shelves;
AND
It is well known in the supermarket industry that HOW the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits

Similarly Option B can be broken down. What is wrong with this interpret
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
saby1410 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep
I have a doubt on options A and B

Consider option A:

AND

This implies:
AND

Similarly Option B can be broken down. What is wrong with this interpret

Hello saby1410,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, your suggested breakdown could be viable were it not for the word "that"; the construction "known that how something is done" is unidiomatic and fails to convey a logical meaning.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
grad_mba wrote:
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of inventory turnovers can be crucial to profits.

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that how items are placed on shelves and how frequently the inventory turns over can be crucial to profits.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Parallelism + Awkwardness/Redundancy

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "how items are placed on shelves" and "the frequency of inventory turnovers"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ('and" in this sentence) must be parallel.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "how items are placed on shelves and the frequency of inventory turnovers" with the singular verb "is"; please remember, two singular nouns joined by “and” function as one plural noun. Further, Option B alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "is often"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that how items are placed on shelves and how frequently the inventory turns over is frequently crucial to profits; the intended meaning is that how items are placed on shelves and how frequently the inventory turns over is possibly crucial to profits. Additionally, Option B fails to maintain parallelism between "how items are placed on shelves" and "the frequency of inventory turnovers"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ('and" in this sentence) must be parallel.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "how items are placed on shelves and the frequency with which the inventory turns over" with the singular verb "is"; please remember, two singular nouns joined by “and” function as one plural noun. Further, Option C alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "is often"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that how items are placed on shelves and how frequently the inventory turns over is frequently crucial to profits; the intended meaning is that how items are placed on shelves and how frequently the inventory turns over is possibly crucial to profits. Additionally, Option C fails to maintain parallelism between "how items are placed on shelves" and "the frequency with which the inventory turns over"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ('and" in this sentence) must be parallel. Besides, Option C uses the needlessly wordy phrase "the frequency with which the inventory turns over", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "are often"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that how items are placed on shelves and how frequently the inventory turns over is frequently crucial to profits; the intended meaning is that how items are placed on shelves and how frequently the inventory turns over is possibly crucial to profits. Further, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase "how frequently is the inventory turned over", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun phrase "how items are placed on shelves and how frequently the inventory turns over" with "can", which can refer to both plural and singular nouns. Further, Option E uses the phrase "can be", conveying the intended meaning - that how items are placed on shelves and how frequently the inventory turns over is possibly crucial to profits. Additionally, Option E maintains parallelism between "how items are placed on shelves" and "how frequently the inventory turns over". Besides, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "And" vs "Other Conjunctions" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Why is C not parallel? "the frequency with which the inventory turns over" is a clause so "and" connects two clauses
Manager
Manager
Send PM
yogesh1984 wrote:
grad_mba wrote:
445)

(D) how frequently is the inventory turned over are often -
maintains ||ism, conveys the intended meaning

Opening must be with "how" to keep ||ism intact. so D, E- "how items are" is || to "how frequently the inventory turns" (in option D- it just go little off the mark!)

why is the "How" necessary to have a proper parallelism? I thought just having two clauses is sufficient
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Caas wrote:
According to OG 10, explanation for the question is given by:

Choice E the best answer, grammatically and clearly makes the statement "x and y can be crucial," in which x and y are parallel clauses, each introduced by the conjunction how. This parallelism is preferable to the use of noun phrase the frequency in A, B and C. Furthermore, the frequency of inventory turnovers in A and B is less clear than how frequently the inventory turns over. In B and C is often does not agree with the plural compound subject. Choice D ungrammatically reverses the subject-verb order with is the inventory

"the frequency of inventory turnovers in A and B is less clear than how frequently the inventory turns over. "

Why is that?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Dalinar wrote:
I completely agree; D is irredeemably wrong.
What you say is correct is the same as what I said: "how frequently the inventory is turned over".

However, E puts it in the active voice "the inventory turns over", meaning the inventory is moving itself on and off the shelf. I understand GMAT accepts E as the best answer. They apparently prefer errors in voice (E) over errors in parallelism (A).

I'm just confirming, this is an error in voice? Or, is there an idiomatic thing where we can say the inventory "turns" when it's really being acted on rather than acting?

Exactly my question. In Option E, it looks like the inventory turns over by itself. I am still struggling to understand how that is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
It is well known in the supermarket industry that how items are placed [#permalink]
grad_mba wrote:

This is a very nice question so thought of sharing my thought on this.

The correct answer would be to use parallel structure comparisons. Clearly, options A,B & C are not parallel and hence eliminated.

Now focusing on D & E.

Option D sounds awkward and wrong in a meaningful sense. It says "The inventory turned over" some past tense but this should be a general statement as per the meaning. Plus it use "Are Often" which is not the intended meaning. Hence D is out and E is the correct answer.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Redwhite387 wrote:
Dalinar wrote:
I completely agree; D is irredeemably wrong.
What you say is correct is the same as what I said: "how frequently the inventory is turned over".

However, E puts it in the active voice "the inventory turns over", meaning the inventory is moving itself on and off the shelf. I understand GMAT accepts E as the best answer. They apparently prefer errors in voice (E) over errors in parallelism (A).

I'm just confirming, this is an error in voice? Or, is there an idiomatic thing where we can say the inventory "turns" when it's really being acted on rather than acting?

Exactly my question. In Option E, it looks like the inventory turns over by itself. I am still struggling to understand how that is correct.

Imagine you saw the following:

"Tim wanted to buy an Easy Bake Oven for his daughter, only to learn that the item had sold out in 1989."

You don't read that and think, "Wait. Easy Bake Ovens are selling themselves? Have machines become conscious? The techno-apocalypse is upon us!" Rather, you'd use context to understand that when an item sells out, it means the store has sold its entire stock.

Same deal with inventory turning over. It's common enough usage that we can interpret it to mean that someone has sold the inventory. That's fine.

More importantly, we always want to start by eliminating concrete errors. As others have noted, (A), (B), and (C) all have parallelism problems. And if you have concerns about the meaning in (E), you'd have the same concerns about (D), so the deciding factor must be some other element.

I hope that clears things up!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts