GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Jacob Burckhardt’s view that Renaissance European women stood on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
S
Re: Jacob Burckhardt’s view that Renaissance European women stood on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 09:47
Question 6
RC00313-06. The last sentence in the passage serves primarily to
A.suggest that Krontiris’s work is not representative of recent trends among feminist scholars
(Opposite option)

B.undermine the argument that literate women of the Renaissance sought to oppose social constraints imposed on them
(Opposite- Res. women wanted to oppose social constraints)

C.show a way in which Krontiris’s work illustrates a “cautiously optimistic"assessment of Renaissance women’s achievements
(CORRECT- It was a “cautiously optimistic"assessment. +VEs: They gain power and -VEs: Their attempt of criticism was restrcited)

D.summarize Krontiris’s view of the effect of literacy on the lives of upper- and middle-class Renaissance women
(It do summaries but it is not about effect of literacy on particular social class)

E.illustrate the way in which Krontiris’s study differs from the studies done by Burckhardt and Kelly
(Last line didnt illustrate this. Infact distinction came earlier in the passage)
Intern
Intern
S
Re: Jacob Burckhardt’s view that Renaissance European women stood on  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 09:54
Q5

RC00313-05.
The author of the passage suggests that Krontiris incorrectly assumes that
A.social differences among Renaissance women are less important than the fact that they were women
(Refer to lines: Tina Krontiris, for example, in her fascinating study of six Renaissance women writers, does tend at times to conflate “women” and“women writers,” assuming that women’s gender, irrespective of other social differences, including literacy, allows us to view women as a homogeneous social group )

B.literacy among Renaissance women was more prevalent than most scholars today acknowledge
(...than most scholars today acknowledge-- nowhere mentioned)

C.during the Renaissance, women were able to successfully oppose cultural stereotypes relating to gender
(They were not able to successfully oppose : Refer to lines: she suggests that such verbal opposition to cultural stereotypes was highly circumscribed/restricted)

D.Renaissance women did not face many difficult social obstacles relating to their gender
(Opposite- They faced obstacles)

E.in order to attain power, Renaissance women attacked basic assumptions in the ideologies that oppressed them
(Opposite- women seldom (Hardly) attacked the basic assumptions in the ideologies that oppressed them)
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2019, 08:02
I feel like most of the people who have answered this have attempted the question assuming unlimited time. I tried this in a test and totally failed to understand the passage structure or meaning. Got only 1 correct out of 7 and spent a significant time in understanding the passage.

1 06:17
2 00:47
3 01:25
4 01:08
5 00:44
6 01:35
7 02:12
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GPA: 3.92

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2019, 23:06
I tried this passage again with unlimited time. Came up with following passage map and got all but 1 question correct.

It took me 14 mins to solve this which is definitely way too much time.
Attachments

IMG_1213.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg [ 3.02 MiB | Viewed 487 times ]

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2019, 01:42
Now I try to summarize the logic of this passage, can somebody tell me whether there’s wrong in this logic????

Burckhardt: too optimistic
Kelly: too negative
only consider (in line(20) ) upper class Italian women

Feminist scholar: in line(15)-
stress difference、’’complicate’’ the generalization both
B&K made on…upper class women
Here’s my question, in line(21) the trend(does it mean that feminist scholar’s trend???) is also ….in works focusing on
those middle- and upper- class European women

so we could infer that feminist scholar also studied middle and upper class women, as well as other classes…, however, the author just want to present an idea that ‘’if you only focus on this small number、minority group, it’s risky to take their experiences as ‘’typical’’ of ‘’female experience’’ in general sense,( is it also a point that the author wants to oppose to B&K, since their study only focus on upper-class women???)

Krontiris: in 600. we know that Krontiris incorrectly( since
Krontiris is an example of those feminist scholar, so he shouldn’t assume thus, rather he should stress difference, like those feminist scholar)‘’assume that social difference &literacy (line(34) isn’t important, and view women as a homogeneous group’’
Also, like B&K, in line(29)-(31) the sentence states that Krontiris study six women writer, so we could infer that Krontiris only consider upper-class(602.)women who could
write, too,and thus their perceptions are more likely to be accessible to historians than other women

Krontiris is as much as like B&K’s study which only focus
on this minority-upper-class women
however, the difference between B&K and Krontiris is that
Krontiris made a ‘’cautious assessment’’ to these women’s
achievement, compare to Burckhardt’s too optimistic and
Kelly’s too negative
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2019, 15:41
bpdulog wrote:
133.It can be inferred that both Burckhardt and Kelly have been criticized by the scholars mentioned in highlight text for which of the following?
A.Assuming that women writers of the Renaissance are representative of Renaissance women in general
B.Drawing conclusions that are based on the study of an atypical group of women
C.Failing to describe clearly the relationship between social status and literacy among Renaissance women
D.Failing to acknowledge the role played by Renaissance women in opposing cultural stereotypes
E.Failing to acknowledge the ways in which social status affected the creative activities of Renaissance women

Hi,

I knocked this down to B & C, but went with C. Isn't the point of this passage that they were generalizing women even though their sample was not representative? Both B and C sound the same to me, in which C is the root cause of B

I got down to A and B. Both seemed similar to me and I ended up marking A. How did you eliminate A?
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 00:12
THIS is hard passage. we focus on idea transition to understand structure of the passage. for each passage , there is one or two sentence showing idea transition. sometimes, it is hard to realize those sentences.
the first sentence of the second paragraph is an idea transition sentence. we reread the idea transition sentence many times to find out the main idea of the passage.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Jacob Burckhardt’s view that Renaissance European women stood on   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2019, 00:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Jacob Burckhardt’s view that Renaissance European women stood on

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics