GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 15:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Jerrod was advised by his lawyer that he should have better told the t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Jerrod was advised by his lawyer that he should have better told the t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 04:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (00:52) correct 46% (01:05) wrong based on 250 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

from the gmatclub ultimate grammar book
test 2

42. Jerrod was advised by his lawyer that he should have better told the truth or he could go to jail for a long time.
a) he should have better told the truth or he could go
b) telling the truth should be done since he could go
c) Jerrod might ought to tell the truth for not going
d) the truth have better be told or he should go
e) Jerrod had better tell the truth or he could go

according to me
C is out because of "might ought to"
D is out because it is not clear
but the rest???

thanks,
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Jerrod was advised by his lawyer that he should have better told the t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 04:55
this is a bad question .there is no need for a parallel construction as is done in this question !!
why on earth we need "or" in a sentence like this ?
the implied meaning is very weird
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Re: Jerrod was advised by his lawyer that he should have better told the t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2014, 10:40
Here's my attempt -

42. Jerrod was advised by his lawyer that he should have better told the truth or he could go to jail for a long time.
a) he should have better told the truth or he could go (use of should with subjunctive)
b) telling the truth should be done since he could go (use of should with subjunctive)
c) Jerrod might ought to tell the truth for not going ("going to the jail" sounds wrong.)
d) the truth have better be told or he should go (use of should with subjunctive. This is also passive.)
e) Jerrod had better tell the truth or he could go POE. Correct option
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 11:44
gregfromnancy wrote:
test 2

according to me
but the rest???

thanks,

Though this question is not of GMAT level. I am just thinking how in option E verb is in its base form.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 12:12
gregfromnancy wrote:
test 2

according to me
but the rest???

thanks,

Jerrod was advised..... that Jerrod...?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 13:38
Can option "E" be the answer ? Cause "he" could mean anyone as there are two persons mentioned in the sentence.
Intern
Intern
B
Jerrod was advised by his lawyer that he should have better told the t  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 21:32
I get why it's correct, or the "best" answer, but the redundant use of Jarrod is awkward.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 22:33

E
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 03:26
Takdir wrote:
Can option "E" be the answer ? Cause "he" could mean anyone as there are two persons mentioned in the sentence.

The pronoun "he" is not ambiguous - If a pronoun that is the subject of a clause has two possible antecedents, one of which is the subject of another clause within the sentence, the pronoun would, by virtue of parallelism, unambiguously refer to the subject antecedent.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2017, 07:28
Top Contributor
This is a very good meaning based practice question. Leaving aside the three filler choices namely B, C, and D, which do not merit much discussion, the real contention is between A and E, both of which you may note are grammatically correct.
The core sense of the topic is that a professional lawyer is advising and warning his client that Jerrod should tell the truth now or he (Jerrod) could go to jail. He cannot stand for the lawyer since there is no meaning in advising Jerrod when the lawyer himself could go to jail. Nor can we assign one 'he' for the lawyer and the second for Jerrod. That is the reason E categorically removes the first 'he' and replaces it the subject Jerrod himself.

More important, however, is the use of the modal verb 'had better tell'. Remember A uses the term, 'should have told', implying that Jerrod did not take an earlier opportunity, to tell the truth. This is not the intention of the advice and warning. The warning is that if you do not tell the truth now, you could rather go to a long term imprisonment. 'Better be careful' is the essence of the warning. That is why E says "had better tell" rather than "had better told".

It might now be clear how deeply this seemingly simple question is testing the intent.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 10:06
daagh wrote:
This is a very good meaning based practice question. Leaving aside the three filler choices namely B, C, and D, which do not merit much discussion, the real contention is between A and E, both of which you may note are grammatically correct.
The core sense of the topic is that a professional lawyer is advising and warning his client that Jerrod should tell the truth now or he (Jerrod) could go to jail. He cannot stand for the lawyer since there is no meaning in advising Jerrod when the lawyer himself could go to jail. Nor can we assign one 'he' for the lawyer and the second for Jerrod. That is the reason E categorically removes the first 'he' and replaces it the subject Jerrod himself.

More important, however, is the use of the modal verb 'had better tell'. Remember A uses the term, 'should have told', implying that Jerrod did not take an earlier opportunity, to tell the truth. This is not the intention of the advice and warning. The warning is that if you do not tell the truth now, you could rather go to a long term imprisonment. 'Better be careful' is the essence of the warning. That is why E says "had better tell" rather than "had better told".

It might now be clear how deeply this seemingly simple question is testing the intent.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I had one doubt on this. I understand why 'had better told' is not the intended meaning but I'm not sure if 'had better tell' is grammatically correct. Never heard such a construction and it's not an intuitive usage. Please help me understand this.

Thank you so much!
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 10:36
Top Contributor
Himanshu
Hi

You may visit the links given below
https://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/h ... r/menu.php
http://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/ev ... 65365.html

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2017, 21:47
daagh wrote:

Thanks a lot daagh. This clears the doubt :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 08:12
should have done is used to advise somebody to do in the past, in the time earlier than the time of speaking

now I advise her that she should have done the job yesterday. the time of speaking is in present

yesterday, i advised her that she should have done the job one day earlier. the time of speaking is in the past.

the time of speaking maybe is in the past or present, the action advised is in the time earlier and is presented by should have done
Re: Jerrod was advised by his lawyer that he should have better told the t &nbs [#permalink] 20 Aug 2018, 08:12

Jerrod was advised by his lawyer that he should have better told the t

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap