It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 22:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

John, a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Company, is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [3], given: 72

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User
John,a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Com [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2014, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:51) correct 28% (00:58) wrong based on 83 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

John,a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Company,is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry,which will lead to a lowering of rates for making international calls.

A)is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry,which will lead to a lowering of rates for

B)is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry,leading to a lowering of rates for

C)which is currently working on a new project to revolutionize the telecommunication industry and also lead to a lower rates for

D)who is currently working on a new project in the telecommunication industry,which will lead to a lowering of rates for

E)has been currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry as well as lower the rates for
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by carcass on 27 Mar 2014, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
Undelined the sentence

Kudos [?]: 96 [3], given: 72

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 28

Re: John,a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Com [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2014, 09:10
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rrsnathan wrote:
John,a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Company,is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry, which will lead to a lowering of rates for making international calls.

A)is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry,which will lead to a lowering of rates for

B)is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry,leading to a lowering of rates for

C)which is currently working on a new project to revolutionize the telecommunication industry and also lead to a lower rates for

D)who is currently working on a new project in the telecommunication industry,which will lead to a lowering of rates for

E)has been currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry as well as lower the rates for

This is a fun one! We have some easy splits for these answer choices, making it quite easy to narrow in on the correct answer.

First and foremost, get rid of that modifying phrase separating the main subject and the main verb:

"John,..., ..."

Looking at the answer choices we can either have a verb or a clause after our main subject. Let's look at the answer choices with "which" and "who" to see if we get a suitable main verb later in the sentence. Well answer choice (C) doesn't work since it is one long clause and no main verb appears at the end. Answer choice (D) is even worse. It just adds another clause to the end of the first clause. So both of these answer choices fail since there is no main verb.

Now we are left with answer choices that contain a main verb. Answer choice (E) stands out for not being a simple verb tense. Anytime have a verb tense, I check the sentence to see if we are dealing with more than one period of time. In this sentence, we are not trying to establish different time periods for an event so I quickly toss this answer choice out.

Alright, phew! When I make it to two answer choices, I know things are going well and I am getting close. But I also know that this is when I really need to focus and pay attention to the subtleties of the sentence. No more easier throw aways. So what is the major difference between (A) and (B)? Well, it comes at the end. Do we need to create a "which" clause or can we merely have a participle phrase. Well, in this case since we have a "that" clause immediately preceding this part of the sentence, a "which" clause is a little suspect. The modification of the preceding noun is too far away. Whereas if we use a participle phrase, then we can easily convey the result of the "project." Furthermore, with the participle phrase, we have a more concise construction that avoids extra verbiage, such as "will lead." Always side with the more concise construction. Thus, we have our answer! :)

I hope this helps! :)

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 28

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9787 [0], given: 1239

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2014, 03:44

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 07:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 49

John,a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Com [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 16:19
This post received
KUDOS
In this one, it is absolutely vital to remember that we are not dealing with a listing, we are dealing with a causal scenario.
Here, the project>revolution of the industry>lowering of the rates

A)is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry,which will lead to a lowering of rates for - which refers to the industry, but the industry doesn't cause the lowering, the project does. Hence, A is wrong

B)is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry,leading to a lowering of rates for - CORRECT

C)which is currently working on a new project to revolutionize the telecommunication industry and also lead to a lower rates for - This sentence has several errors, and you may choose to eliminate any one of the ways, separated by "+"; which refers to the industry, but the industry doesn't cause the lowering, the project does + a lower rates + "and also lead" shifts the sentence from a causal to a listing, hence, the meaning is changed

D)who is currently working on a new project in the telecommunication industry,which will lead to a lowering of rates for -
which refers to the industry, but the industry doesn't cause the lowering, the project does. Hence, D is wrong

E)has been currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry as well as lower the rates for - "as well as" shifts the meaning of the sentence from a causal to a listing + has been working/is currently working, the usage of either of the two makes sense, but the usage of both together doesn't make sense

-Please give me KUDOS, if my posts help you in anyway.
-Please PM me any doubts which you might have, and I will do my level best to help. :)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 49

Top Contributor
Board of Directors
G

QOTD #24 John, a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 08:11
Top Contributor
John, a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Company, is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry, which will lead to a lowering of rates for making international calls.

(A) is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry, which will lead to a lowering of rates for
(B) is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry, leading to a lowering of rates for
(C) which is currently working on a new project to revolutionize the telecommunication industry and also lead to lower rates for
(D) who is currently working on a new revolutionary project in the telecommunication industry, which will lead to a lowering of rates for
(E) has been currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry as well as lower the rates for

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: John, a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Company, is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 09:20
carcass wrote:
John, a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Company, is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry, which will lead to a lowering of rates for making international calls.

(A) is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry, which will lead to a lowering of rates for
(B) is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry, leading to a lowering of rates for
(C) which is currently working on a new project to revolutionize the telecommunication industry and also lead to lower rates for
(D) who is currently working on a new revolutionary project in the telecommunication industry, which will lead to a lowering of rates for
(E) has been currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry as well as lower the rates for

(A) Which incorrectly refers to the telecommunications industry.
(B) The correct answer. Leading acts as an adverbial modifier modifying
the action of the entire previous clause.
(C) Which incorrectly refers to The Bell Company. This sentence does not contain
a main verb; it just has two back to back modifying phrases. The use of the
infinitive to revolutionize makes it appear as if the purpose of the project is to
revolutionize whereas this is just the side effect of the project.
(D) The sentence does not have a main verb; it just contains several back to back
modifying phrases and relative clauses
(E) Doesn’t look too bad until you realize that the use of currently implies the
present tense only, so we cannot use the present perfect tense has been (which
implies that the action started in the past). Also this sentence incorrectly
suggests that the new project will do two things – revolutionize the industry and
lower the rates – whereas the project will just revolutionise the industry and this
fact will lower the rates.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V17
GPA: 3.83
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: John, a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Company, is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 09:36
carcass wrote:

which incorrectly modifies industry which nonsensically changes the meaning.

Correct option. "verb+ing" form properly denotes the cause and action.

Which is used for non living things/objects. Not for humans.

"who" makes this sentence a fragment. there is no subject.

as well as is changing the meaning.

Correct answer is B

========plz hit kudos if my reply helped you===================

Top Contributor
Board of Directors
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 09:44
Top Contributor

Manager
Manager
S

Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V17
GPA: 3.83
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 09:47
carcass wrote:
please whenever a question is good and useful, give kudos.

thank you

Also, if the answers posted are correct and are useful, they should be given a kudo. Not only will that increase participation, but also motivate people in their gmat prep.

Just a suggestion!

Thanks!

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 43

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 15:10

(A) is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry, which will lead to a lowering of rates for - meaning error - telcom industry will not lead to lowering of rates
(B) is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry, leading to a lowering of rates for - correct choice - leading correctly modifying the preceding clause to show result
(C) which is currently working on a new project to revolutionize the telecommunication industry and also lead to lower rates for - use of which is wrong here
(D) who is currently working on a new revolutionary project in the telecommunication industry, which will lead to a lowering of rates for - verb is missing for John
(E) has been currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry as well as lower the rates for - same as A meaning error - project will not lower the rates but the result of revolution in the communication industry

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 43

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 341

WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 16:41
I am going with B

John is currently working on a new project that will revolutionize the telecommunication industry, leading to a lowering of rates for making international calls.

Even though not required here, rates for and rates of is something GMAT tests a lot. rates of= Measure; and rates for= price change.

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 341

Re: John, a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Company, is   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2017, 16:41

John, a resident of Lake City and an employee of The Bell Company, is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap