Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 05:47 It is currently 02 May 2024, 05:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q168 V157
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Re: Johnson (Ithaca) vs Tuck (Hanover) Cost of living. [#permalink]
Kudos
MBASomeTime wrote:
I would take a look at https://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/mba/life ... ng-options. I've heard a few complaints of the inability to get on-campus housing, so you may be living in Hanover or somewhere nearby. Would project costs to be a bit pricier than Ithaca, probably by around 25-50%. Would love to hear from a Tuck student/alum on this though.

For school selection, the only reason I would pick Johnson over Tuck was if I wanted to leverage the engineering resources of the school (NYC semester option, dual-degree MEng/MBA, etc.). Otherwise, Johnson is pretty much Tuck-lite. This is of course considering that $ is equivalent between the two programs.

Edit - I saw that Cornell actually gave you less money than Tuck. I would absolutely reach out them about this - you should be able to get a much larger scholarship.

Thank you for taking the time to answer MBAsome! I talked to Cornell, however they won't revise until late January, weeks after their deposit date.

What is your opinion on IB?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Go to Tuck

Tuck offers everything Johnson does and more much. Such as: vastly stronger alumni connections, better job placement with less grinding away (IB recruitment from Johnson is much more intensive/draining than at Tuck), higher quality students and an overall much better run MBA program as it's the only one there. Johnson has almost a dozen various MBA iterations, so you're competing for school resources vs the other MBA iterations Johnson (not to mention the MPS programs), and continues to launch. At Tuck you are 100% the school's focus! At Johnson the experience isn't nearly as personalized, you're merely a cog in a wheel of degree programs.

I'm not sure why cost of living is higher at Tuck, would reach out to each school. All the Tuckies I know live/lived on campus, whereas there is no on campus option for Johnson folk.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I hadn't pay much thought to the fact that Johnson has several MBA variations.

I am really confused about the price of housing and food, but at the end I will end up paying the same because Tuck gave me a higher scholarship.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72970 [0]
Given Kudos: 18902
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
kelzo123 May be able to comment about Tuck living expenses.

But I would tell you that schools generally fudge cost of living quite a bit. I have seen huge difference in cost of living numbers for UCLA versus Marshall. They are like 4 miles from each other and there shouldn’t be a seven or $8000 difference. What this means however is that one school may be giving you a very bare-bones budget and another one is giving you a more livable budget. You actually want a more realistic budget because it would allow you to borrow a greater amount of money and you will always run out of money during business school.

This is one thing you can count on, you will run out of money. There will be recruiting trips which are not part of the budget, they will be social activities which is not part of the budget, there will be leisure trips, which are not part of the budgets there will be friends weddings, which is not part of the budget… you get the idea. Ultimately all of the school budgets are flawed and severely under budget. There’s no freaking way you can live on $18,000 a year. Granted it’s only for nine months but still there’s no way you can make it on $18,000 and also be able to buy books and pay for health insurance and your ticket, have a livable place, eat and so on.

I think we have a discussion somewhere about budgets but a lot of the business goes in the US will make it pretty hard if you do not have a car. You either have to live very close today campus or on campus but traditionally living on campus are very close to campus costs more… so it’s a catch 22.

I would expect to spend at least 30,000 to be realistic. Granted, you will make some money and have a summer internship but there are some funky costs. Let’s say you do get an internship in Bay Area or Seattle, are you going to stop paying rent on your apartment and Ithaca or I forget where Dartmouth is 🤦‍♂️ Anyway, well you may not live there, your positions need to be somewhere and you must likely will have to pay double rent or get a free place by your employer in Bay Area or Seattle but you’ll still have to pay rent back at school.

You can make decent money out of internship and potentially make as much as 25,000 for two months of work but a good chunk of it will be taken out for taxes which you will get a refund the following year.

I guess the bottom line is that you’re likely to have very similar cost of living. The schools may provide different numbers but those numbers are not very attached to reality. Those numbers are important however because they will determine how much money you can borrow and they will determine how much money you need to come up with to get a visa if you need a visa…

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts