Last visit was: 14 Jun 2024, 01:56 It is currently 14 Jun 2024, 01:56
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Joined: 21 Feb 2020
Posts: 201
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. In humans, the pilomotor reflex leads to the response commonly known as goose bumps, and this response is widely considered to be vestigial—that is, something formerly having a greater physiological advantage than at present. It occurs when the tiny muscle at the base of a hair follicle contracts, pulling the hair upright. In animals with feathers, fur, or quills, this creates a layer of insulating warm air or a reason for predators to think twice before attacking. But human hair is too puny to serve these functions. Goose bumps in humans may, however, have acquired a new role. Like flushing—another thermoregulatory (heat-regulating) mechanism—goose bumps have become linked with emotional responses, notably fear, rage, or the pleasure of, say, listening to beautiful music. They may thus serve as a signal to others. In explaining the “new role” (line 7) that goose bumps in humans may have acquired, the author assumes which of the following? A Emotional responses in humans can be triggered by thermoregulatory mechanisms. B The perceptibility of emotional responses to other humans offers some kind of benefit. C If human hair were more substantial, goose bumps would not have acquired a new role. D Goose bumps in animals with feathers, fur, or quills may also be linked to emotional responses. E In humans, goose bumps represent an older physiological response than flushing.



CR Butler Questions January- 26 :

Q1. Zoom Rooms (ZR) Inc., an international company with operations in 10 countries has grown from 100 to 1000 people in the last two years. ZR contributes its success to its loyal employees. To facilitate improved communication, collaboration, and decision making among the teams, ZR has decided to create a 20-person six-sigma division comprised of certified Black belts. These Black belts will train six-sigma champions at strategic positions within the company, who in turn would help spread the methodology.

Which of the following would help determine whether instituting six-sigma methodology would help improve overall communication, collaboration, and decision making among the teams in ZR?

A. Six-sigma will empower people to communicate using a unified methodology that cuts across functional roles, languages, and cultures.

B. People who undergo training are likely to stick around for longer.

C. The quantified data driven methodology empowers people working in a team to make better decisions.

D. Companies that adopt six-sigma attain very low defect rate in their final products.

E. Some of the black belts hired for six-sigma will work with various teams in the capacity of individual contributors.

Q2. A stain-removing agent currently available in City X can remove the most stubborn of stains from clothes but is not very popular because it leaves behind a foul smell in the clothes. It takes around 10 days for the smell to completely go away from the clothes. Another stainremoving agent has just been launched in City X which is as effective at cleaning stains as the older one. An advantage of the new stain-removing agent is that its smell starts to go away from the clothes in two days itself. Thus this new agent should easily be able to outsell the older one.

Which of the following pieces of information would be most helpful in evaluating the argument above?


(A) The rate of growth or decline in sales of stain-removing agents in city X

(B) The total number of stain removing agents sold last year in city X

(C) The per capita income of people residing in city X

(D) The amount of time it takes for the smell of the new stain-removing agent to completely go away from the clothes.

(E) A comparison of the smell of the new stain removing agent with that of similar agents available in other cities

saisandeep1997 wrote:
C

Please quoted the question for which you chose the answer

Originally posted by winterschool on 26 Jan 2023, 12:58.
Last edited by winterschool on 26 Jan 2023, 13:02, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 15 Dec 2022
Posts: 95
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
sentence is in subjunctive form, so have uses wrong

Thanks for the clarification :)
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
saisandeep1997 wrote:
B

It has meaning issue. missing - "accidental"

saisandeep1997 wrote:
A

"four or more than four times" can be replaced by "at least four times"

Originally posted by winterschool on 27 Jan 2023, 08:53.
Last edited by winterschool on 27 Jan 2023, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. The explosion was accidental, and because of its sheer strength, it left no survivors alive. A. The explosion was accidental, and because of its sheer strength, it left no survivors alive B. Because of its sheer strength, the explosion left no survivors C. No one survived the accidental explosion because of its sheer strength D. The sheer strength of the explosion left no survivors E. No survivors were left alive due to the sheer strength of the accidental explosion



winterschool wrote:
Q2. Most indoor plants should be watered four or more than four times a month to prevent them from dying. A. watered four or more than four times a month to prevent them from dying B. watered at least four times a month to prevent it from dying C. given water at least four times a month to prevent them from dying D. watered at least four times monthly to prevent them from dying E. watered at least four times a month so that it does not die



SC Questions January- 27 :

Q1. Although an initial analysis of the rock samples that had been gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission, revealing traces of water on the Martian surface and generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations, suggesting that the Martian environment is too hostile to sustain life.


A. that had been gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission, revealing traces of water on the Martian surface and generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations, suggesting

B. gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission revealed traces of water on the Martian surface and generated excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, but more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations and have suggested

C. gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission revealed traces of water on the Martian surface, generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations, suggesting

D. that had been gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission has revealed traces of water on the Martian surface and generated excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations and suggested

E. gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission has revealed traces of water on the Martian surface, generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, but more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations and have suggested

Q2. Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist two times a year or whenever any unusual pain or bleeding occurs.

A. Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist two times
B. Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist twice
C. Experts recommend that one visit their dentist twice
D. Experts recommend that one visit his dentist twice
E. It is recommended by experts that one visit one’s dentist two times

Originally posted by winterschool on 27 Jan 2023, 09:07.
Last edited by winterschool on 27 Jan 2023, 09:10, edited 3 times in total.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. Zoom Rooms (ZR) Inc., an international company with operations in 10 countries has grown from 100 to 1000 people in the last two years. ZR contributes its success to its loyal employees. To facilitate improved communication, collaboration, and decision making among the teams, ZR has decided to create a 20-person six-sigma division comprised of certified Black belts. These Black belts will train six-sigma champions at strategic positions within the company, who in turn would help spread the methodology. Which of the following would help determine whether instituting six-sigma methodology would help improve overall communication, collaboration, and decision making among the teams in ZR? A. Six-sigma will empower people to communicate using a unified methodology that cuts across functional roles, languages, and cultures. B. People who undergo training are likely to stick around for longer. C. The quantified data driven methodology empowers people working in a team to make better decisions. D. Companies that adopt six-sigma attain very low defect rate in their final products. E. Some of the black belts hired for six-sigma will work with various teams in the capacity of individual contributors.



winterschool wrote:
Q2. A stain-removing agent currently available in City X can remove the most stubborn of stains from clothes but is not very popular because it leaves behind a foul smell in the clothes. It takes around 10 days for the smell to completely go away from the clothes. Another stainremoving agent has just been launched in City X which is as effective at cleaning stains as the older one. An advantage of the new stain-removing agent is that its smell starts to go away from the clothes in two days itself. Thus this new agent should easily be able to outsell the older one. Which of the following pieces of information would be most helpful in evaluating the argument above? (A) The rate of growth or decline in sales of stain-removing agents in city X (B) The total number of stain removing agents sold last year in city X (C) The per capita income of people residing in city X (D) The amount of time it takes for the smell of the new stain-removing agent to completely go away from the clothes. (E) A comparison of the smell of the new stain removing agent with that of similar agents available in other cities



CR Questions January- 27 :

Q1. Advertisers have learned that people are more easily encouraged to develop positive attitudes about things toward which they originally have neutral or even negative attitudes if those things are linked, with pictorial help rather than exclusively through prose, to things about which they already have positive attitudes. Therefore, advertisers are likely to ___________.

Which one of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) use little if any written prose in their advertisements

(B) try to encourage people to develop positive attitudes about products that can be better represented pictorially than in prose

(C) place their advertisements on television rather than in magazines

(D) highlight the desirable features of the advertised product by contrasting them pictorially with undesirable features of a competing product

(E) create advertisements containing pictures of things most members of the target audience like

Q2. The CEO of the mining company has been using the company’s resources for his own personal gains. In the past one year, the mining company has invested in 13 mines in Djboutin, the country of birth of the CEO. The CEO has also mentioned in several interviews that, at a later point in his career, he plans to stand for the Presidency of Djboutin.

Which of the following is an assumption that the argument depends on?


(A) The investments in the mines in Djboutin make good business sense.

(B) It is cheaper to conduct mining operations in Djboutin than in most other countries that the mining company operates in.

(C) To conduct mining operations in Djboutin will require heavy investment in a particular type of machinery that will not be of any use in the mining company’s
mines in other countries.

(D) It is not the Board of Directors of the mining company that decides which mines to invest in.

(E) There is no unforeseen event in the future that will dissuade the CEO from standing for the Presidency of Djboutin.

Originally posted by winterschool on 27 Jan 2023, 14:02.
Last edited by winterschool on 27 Jan 2023, 14:04, edited 2 times in total.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. Although an initial analysis of the rock samples that had been gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission, revealing traces of water on the Martian surface and generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations, suggesting that the Martian environment is too hostile to sustain life. A. that had been gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission, revealing traces of water on the Martian surface and generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations, suggesting B. gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission revealed traces of water on the Martian surface and generated excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, but more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations and have suggested C. gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission revealed traces of water on the Martian surface, generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations, suggesting D. that had been gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission has revealed traces of water on the Martian surface and generated excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations and suggested E. gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission has revealed traces of water on the Martian surface, generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, but more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations and have suggested



winterschool wrote:
Q2. Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist two times a year or whenever any unusual pain or bleeding occurs. A. Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist two times B. Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist twice C. Experts recommend that one visit their dentist twice D. Experts recommend that one visit his dentist twice E. It is recommended by experts that one visit one’s dentist two times



SC Questions January- 28 :

Q1. Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.


(A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs

(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

(C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies--- Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belong

(E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

Q1. Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism.


(A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs

(B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

(C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

(D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies--- Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belong

(E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs

Originally posted by winterschool on 28 Jan 2023, 08:31.
Last edited by winterschool on 28 Jan 2023, 08:33, edited 2 times in total.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
Q2. Writing about the prosecution of Owen Lattimore and John Paton Davies for espionage on behalf of China and the Soviet Union , Harry Truman stated that the proceedings were " a shameful persecution , and that if anyone ought to be indicted , they are not the ones . "

A. anyone ought to be indicted , they are not the ones
B. anyone should be indicted , he is not the one
C. anyone ought to be indicted , they are not the one
D. someone ought to be indicted , it should not be him
E. someone should be indicted , those are not the ones it should be
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. Advertisers have learned that people are more easily encouraged to develop positive attitudes about things toward which they originally have neutral or even negative attitudes if those things are linked, with pictorial help rather than exclusively through prose, to things about which they already have positive attitudes. Therefore, advertisers are likely to ___________. Which one of the following most logically completes the argument? (A) use little if any written prose in their advertisements (B) try to encourage people to develop positive attitudes about products that can be better represented pictorially than in prose (C) place their advertisements on television rather than in magazines (D) highlight the desirable features of the advertised product by contrasting them pictorially with undesirable features of a competing product (E) create advertisements containing pictures of things most members of the target audience like



winterschool wrote:
Q2. The CEO of the mining company has been using the company’s resources for his own personal gains. In the past one year, the mining company has invested in 13 mines in Djboutin, the country of birth of the CEO. The CEO has also mentioned in several interviews that, at a later point in his career, he plans to stand for the Presidency of Djboutin. Which of the following is an assumption that the argument depends on? (A) The investments in the mines in Djboutin make good business sense. (B) It is cheaper to conduct mining operations in Djboutin than in most other countries that the mining company operates in. (C) To conduct mining operations in Djboutin will require heavy investment in a particular type of machinery that will not be of any use in the mining company’s mines in other countries. (D) It is not the Board of Directors of the mining company that decides which mines to invest in. (E) There is no unforeseen event in the future that will dissuade the CEO from standing for the Presidency of Djboutin.



CR Questions January- 28 :

Q1. Searton is the sole manufacturer of Re-geared Display Video (RDV) disks. RDV disks can only be played on RDV players, which are essentially DVD players with RDV attachments. Between 2007 and 2009, Searton opened 500 new kiosks to sell its RDV disks. However, since the number of RDV players sold in this period (2007-2009) did not increase significantly, it is likely that the number of users who have started using RDV disks has not increased significantly.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the above argument?

A. Many of the 500 kiosks served people who owned an RDV player but did not have access to RDV disks.
B. Most movies are now released on both RDV disks and DVDs.
C. Standard DVD players that do not have the RDV attachment are unable to decipher the content on RDV disks.
D. Searton’s sales team has a record-breaking track record as it almost always meets its targets.
E. Many existing users of RDV players prefer using RDV disks to DVDs as RDV disks offer better picture quality than DVDs.

Q2. Composite materials are synthetic materials made by combining multiple materials that have differing chemical compositions, and the resultant material has chemical properties that differ significantly from those of any of the original materials and is stronger, less heavy, and less expensive than conventional materials. While composites have been commonly used throughout history to construct building materials, they are actually predated by natural composites such as shellac, which are cheaper than synthetic materials. Therefore, to minimize expenses, natural composites should be used whenever possible.

Which of the following would it be most useful to know in determining whether using natural composites would minimize expenses?

A. Whether some natural composites cost more than synthetic composites

B. Whether the long term costs of maintaining buildings made using natural composites is significantly higher than those made using synthetic composites

C. Whether some composites have properties that do not differ significantly from the properties of the base materials used to create the composite

D. Whether either natural or synthetic composite have used in markets other than the one for building materials

E. Whether there are any natural composites that predate shellac

Originally posted by winterschool on 28 Jan 2023, 20:34.
Last edited by winterschool on 28 Jan 2023, 20:40, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 18 Oct 2021
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:

Why C? pls explain

winterschool wrote:

Why D? Need explanation
Manager
Manager
Joined: 21 Feb 2020
Posts: 201
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. Searton is the sole manufacturer of Re-geared Display Video (RDV) disks. RDV disks can only be played on RDV players, which are essentially DVD players with RDV attachments. Between 2007 and 2009, Searton opened 500 new kiosks to sell its RDV disks. However, since the number of RDV players sold in this period (2007-2009) did not increase significantly, it is likely that the number of users who have started using RDV disks has not increased significantly. Which of the following, if true, most weakens the above argument? A. Many of the 500 kiosks served people who owned an RDV player but did not have access to RDV disks. B. Most movies are now released on both RDV disks and DVDs. C. Standard DVD players that do not have the RDV attachment are unable to decipher the content on RDV disks. D. Searton’s sales team has a record-breaking track record as it almost always meets its targets. E. Many existing users of RDV players prefer using RDV disks to DVDs as RDV disks offer better picture quality than DVDs.

The argument goes from dip in RDV player sales (from 2007 to 2009 ) to decline in the usage of RDV disks.

Statement A weakens the above argument by stating that these kiosks served people who already had RDV players but had no RDV disks to use. In this case , it can be understood that there might be low sales of RDV players but we can’t say for sure that number of users who have started using RDV disks has not increased significantly, provided these kiosks helped people to get RDV disks for their RDV players

A weakens the argument

winterschool wrote:
Q2. Composite materials are synthetic materials made by combining multiple materials that have differing chemical compositions, and the resultant material has chemical properties that differ significantly from those of any of the original materials and is stronger, less heavy, and less expensive than conventional materials. While composites have been commonly used throughout history to construct building materials, they are actually predated by natural composites such as shellac, which are cheaper than synthetic materials. Therefore, to minimize expenses, natural composites should be used whenever possible. Which of the following would it be most useful to know in determining whether using natural composites would minimize expenses? A. Whether some natural composites cost more than synthetic composites B. Whether the long term costs of maintaining buildings made using natural composites is significantly higher than those made using synthetic composites C. Whether some composites have properties that do not differ significantly from the properties of the base materials used to create the composite D. Whether either natural or synthetic composite have used in markets other than the one for building materials E. Whether there are any natural composites that predate shellac

So we need to know if using natural materials would minimize the expenses.
In option B we see that the long term costs of maintaining buildings made using natural composites is "significantly higher" than those made using synthetic composites.

so Option B helps us to evaluate things based on the argument

Originally posted by AbhinavKumar on 29 Jan 2023, 00:02.
Last edited by AbhinavKumar on 29 Jan 2023, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
Ianstudyforgmat wrote:
Why D? Need explanation

I think you want explanation for this question "The CEO of the mining company has been using the company’s resources for his own personal gains. In the past one year, the mining company has invested in 13 mines in Djboutin, the country of birth of the CEO. The CEO has also mentioned in several interviews that, at a later point in his career, he plans to stand for the Presidency of Djboutin."

It is similar to an OG question. First line of the argument is conclusion. we need to find an assumption that strengthen conclusion. if Board of Directors decided to invest in 13 mines in Djboutin, it weakens argument. so, it must be CEO who decided about investment
A & B support CEO’s decision
C is additional info
E is not related with conclusion. we cant say from this choice that CEO is the only decision maker
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
Ianstudyforgmat wrote:
Why C? pls explain

Q1. Although an initial analysis of the rock samples that had been gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission, revealing traces of water on the Martian surface and generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations, suggesting that the Martian environment is too hostile to sustain life.


A. that had been gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission, revealing traces of water on the Martian surface and generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations, suggesting

B. gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission revealed traces of water on the Martian surface and generated excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, but more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations and have suggested

C. gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission revealed traces of water on the Martian surface, generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations, suggesting

D. that had been gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission has revealed traces of water on the Martian surface and generated excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations and suggested

E. gathered by the Mars Pathfinder mission has revealed traces of water on the Martian surface, generating excited debate about the possibility of life on the planet, but more recent evaluations have cast doubt on those speculations and have suggested


A is weird and incomplete sentence - Although an initial analysis of the rock samples .....what?
B both "although" and "but " act as conjunction in the sentence that is wrong
D past perfect is wrong here
E same as B
Hence correct choice C

follow these links, you can see more explanation in future
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ceo-of-the-mining-company-has-been-using-the-companys-resources-405888.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-an-initial-analysis-of-the-rock-samples-that-had-been-gathere-405764.html

follow these links, you can see more explanations
the-ceo-of-the-mining-company-has-been-using-the-companys-resources-405888.html

although-an-initial-analysis-of-the-rock-samples-that-had-been-gathere-405764.html

follow these links for more explanations

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ceo-of-the-mining-company-has-been-using-the-companys-resources-405888.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/although-an-initial-analysis-of-the-rock-samples-that-had-been-gathere-405764.html

winterschool wrote:
Q1. Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs to the twentieth century, an age of fretfulness and melancholy skepticism. (A) Unlike the lives of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, subjects of other Troyat biographies, Chekhov belongs (B) Chekhov, unlike the other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs (C) The life of Chekhov, unlike the lives of the subjects of other Troyat biographies, Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs (D) Chekhov and his life, unlike that of the other Troyat biographies--- Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belong (E) The life of Chekhov, unlike that of other Troyat biographies of Pushkin, Gogol, Tolstoi, and Dostoevski, belongs



winterschool wrote:
Q2. Writing about the prosecution of Owen Lattimore and John Paton Davies for espionage on behalf of China and the Soviet Union , Harry Truman stated that the proceedings were " a shameful persecution , and that if anyone ought to be indicted , they are not the ones . " A. anyone ought to be indicted , they are not the ones B. anyone should be indicted , he is not the one C. anyone ought to be indicted , they are not the one D. someone ought to be indicted , it should not be him E. someone should be indicted , those are not the ones it should be


Originally posted by winterschool on 29 Jan 2023, 05:41.
Last edited by winterschool on 29 Jan 2023, 05:52, edited 4 times in total.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
SC Questions January- 29 :

Q1. Despite several risks associated with cross-border meteorite trading, the financial and scientific incentives are enough to provide a living to many nomadic tribes, ensure plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and to keep the researchers invested in the effort to acquire valuable material.

(A) ensure plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and to keep
(B) ensures plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and keeps
(C) to ensure plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and keep
(D) ensure plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and keep
(E) ensuring plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and keeps

Q2. To boost short term profits, US based technology companies have hesitation to outsource research and development while eager to outsource manufacturing or operations.

A. To boost short term profits, US based technology companies have hesitation to outsource research and development while eager to outsource manufacturing or operations.

B. Unlike manufacturing or operations, there is a hesitation to outsource research and development to boost short term profits by many US based technology companies.

C. Unlike manufacturing or operations, which they are eager to outsource, many US based technology companies are hesitant to outsource research and development to boost short term profits.

D. Unlike manufacturing or operations, research and development, to boost short term profits, creates hesitation for outsourcing by US based technology companies.

E. US based technology companies, eager to outsource manufacturing or operations, are hesitant to outsource R&D to boost short term profits.

Originally posted by winterschool on 29 Jan 2023, 05:55.
Last edited by winterschool on 29 Jan 2023, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 15 Dec 2022
Posts: 95
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q2. Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist two times a year or whenever any unusual pain or bleeding occurs. A. Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist two times B. Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist twice C. Experts recommend that one visit their dentist twice D. Experts recommend that one visit his dentist twice E. It is recommended by experts that one visit one’s dentist two times

Can anybody please help with the logic of this question..Thanks !
Manager
Manager
Joined: 10 Apr 2022
Posts: 72
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 507
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
"four or more than four times" can be replaced by "at least four times"

Thanks sir.. for both the explanations
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
winterschool wrote:
Q1. Searton is the sole manufacturer of Re-geared Display Video (RDV) disks. RDV disks can only be played on RDV players, which are essentially DVD players with RDV attachments. Between 2007 and 2009, Searton opened 500 new kiosks to sell its RDV disks. However, since the number of RDV players sold in this period (2007-2009) did not increase significantly, it is likely that the number of users who have started using RDV disks has not increased significantly. Which of the following, if true, most weakens the above argument? A. Many of the 500 kiosks served people who owned an RDV player but did not have access to RDV disks. B. Most movies are now released on both RDV disks and DVDs. C. Standard DVD players that do not have the RDV attachment are unable to decipher the content on RDV disks. D. Searton’s sales team has a record-breaking track record as it almost always meets its targets. E. Many existing users of RDV players prefer using RDV disks to DVDs as RDV disks offer better picture quality than DVDs.



winterschool wrote:
Q2. Composite materials are synthetic materials made by combining multiple materials that have differing chemical compositions, and the resultant material has chemical properties that differ significantly from those of any of the original materials and is stronger, less heavy, and less expensive than conventional materials. While composites have been commonly used throughout history to construct building materials, they are actually predated by natural composites such as shellac, which are cheaper than synthetic materials. Therefore, to minimize expenses, natural composites should be used whenever possible. Which of the following would it be most useful to know in determining whether using natural composites would minimize expenses? A. Whether some natural composites cost more than synthetic composites B. Whether the long term costs of maintaining buildings made using natural composites is significantly higher than those made using synthetic composites C. Whether some composites have properties that do not differ significantly from the properties of the base materials used to create the composite D. Whether either natural or synthetic composite have used in markets other than the one for building materials E. Whether there are any natural composites that predate shellac



CR Questions January- 29 :

Q1. Essayist: Lessing contended that an art form’s medium dictates the kind of representation the art form must employ in order to be legitimate; painting, for example, must represent simultaneous arrays of colored shapes, while literature, consisting of words read in succession, must represent events or actions occurring in sequence. The claim about literature must be rejected, however, if one regards as legitimate the imagists’ poems, which consist solely of amalgams of disparate images.

Which one of the following, if assumed, enables the essayist’s conclusion to be properly drawn?

(A) An amalgam of disparate images cannot represent a sequence of events or actions.
(B) Poems whose subject matter is not appropriate to their medium are illegitimate.
(C) Lessing was not aware that the imagists’ poetry consists of an amalgam of disparate images.
(D) All art, even the imagists’ poetry, depicts or represents some subject matter.
(E) All art represents something either as simultaneous or as successive.

Q2. In country X, the production of fish and fish oil over the last decade have been barely sufficient to meet the domestic demand. However, due to a recent rise in health consciousness among the people of this country, fish oil consumption has been on the rise. A considerable amount of fish is required to produce fish oil. Therefore, since production of fish is not increasing anytime soon, the country needs to import either fish oil or fish or both.

Which of the following strengthens the notion that country X would still need to import either fish oil or fish or both?

A. Even though there has been a globally increasing trend of veganism – a lifestyle that involves consumption of only plant-based foods and products, hardly anyone from country X has subscribed to a plant-based lifestyle.

B. To address the increasing demand for fish oil, changes have been made to government policies in order to allow for expansion of fish oil production facilities.

C. Government aid is being provided to fish farmers to help them purchase the latest fishing equipment which is most effective in catching fish.

D. Import of aquatic animals and their products is heavily regulated in various countries across the world including country X.

E. As people of country X prefer fish to prawn, import of fish negatively impacts the local shrimp industry

Originally posted by winterschool on 29 Jan 2023, 13:45.
Last edited by winterschool on 29 Jan 2023, 13:47, edited 2 times in total.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2018
Posts: 1951
Own Kudos [?]: 1618 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
Ps1810 wrote:
Can anybody please help with the logic of this question..Thanks !

Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist two times a year or whenever any unusual pain or bleeding occurs.

A. Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist two times
B. Experts recommend that one visit one’s dentist twice
C. Experts recommend that one visit their dentist twice
D. Experts recommend that one visit his dentist twice
E. It is recommended by experts that one visit one’s dentist two times


ones’s pronoun shoud be "one" in C & D
E is in passive form
Between A & B - "two times" VS "twice". "twice" is preferable to "two times" in GMAT
Hence correct choice B

winterschool wrote:
Q1. Despite several risks associated with cross-border meteorite trading, the financial and scientific incentives are enough to provide a living to many nomadic tribes, ensure plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and to keep the researchers invested in the effort to acquire valuable material. (A) ensure plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and to keep (B) ensures plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and keeps (C) to ensure plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and keep (D) ensure plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and keep (E) ensuring plenty of business opportunities for the middlemen, and keeps



winterschool wrote:
Q2. To boost short term profits, US based technology companies have hesitation to outsource research and development while eager to outsource manufacturing or operations. A. To boost short term profits, US based technology companies have hesitation to outsource research and development while eager to outsource manufacturing or operations. B. Unlike manufacturing or operations, there is a hesitation to outsource research and development to boost short term profits by many US based technology companies. C. Unlike manufacturing or operations, which they are eager to outsource, many US based technology companies are hesitant to outsource research and development to boost short term profits. D. Unlike manufacturing or operations, research and development, to boost short term profits, creates hesitation for outsourcing by US based technology companies. E. US based technology companies, eager to outsource manufacturing or operations, are hesitant to outsource R&D to boost short term profits.



SC Questions January- 30 :

Q1. According to a recent study of sexual behavior in the U.S., over half of the couples that were married and engaged at the time of the study’s survey were living together before making a final commitment to each other.


A) couples that were married and engaged at the time of the study’s survey were living

B) couples that were engaged or married at the time of the study’s survey had lived

C) couples who were engaged or married at the time when the study’s survey occured were living

D) married and engaged couples at the time of the study’s survey had lived

E) married or engaged couples at the time of the study’s survey were living


Difficulty level: Hard

Q2. Butterflies come in more than 17,000 species, displaying a wing pattern unique to each one.

(A) displaying a wing pattern unique to each one
(B) displaying a unique wing pattern in each
(C) each uniquely displaying a wing pattern
(D) each of which displays a unique wing pattern
(E) each of which uniquely displays a wing pattern

Originally posted by winterschool on 30 Jan 2023, 07:21.
Last edited by winterschool on 30 Jan 2023, 07:26, edited 4 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Verbal Question of the Day Chat Group [#permalink]
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17  ...  168   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6953 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13996 posts