GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 10:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Just as more powerful telescopes are penetrating deeper into the secre

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Just as more powerful telescopes are penetrating deeper into the secre  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 May 2018, 10:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (00:57) correct 27% (01:19) wrong based on 176 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Just as more powerful telescopes are penetrating deeper into the secrets of space, so the new colliding-beam machines help physicists to probe even more deep into the most basic natural phenomena.

a) help physicists to probe even more deep

b) help physicists in their probing even deeper

c) are helpful for physicists probing even deeper.

d) are of help to physicists because they probe even more deeply

e) are helping physicists probe even more deeply.

I picked c.
My reasoning is...
a) "deep" should be "deeply" because it modifies a verb "probe"

b) "in their probing" is awkward.

c) I picked this.

d) wordy

e) "are helping" GMAT does't like -ing form.

Obviously, my reasoning e is incorrect.
Please, give me your opinion about my reasoning and the reason that d is not correct.

Originally posted by eybrj2 on 12 Feb 2012, 02:05.
Last edited by Bunuel on 11 May 2018, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Just as more powerful telescopes are penetrating deeper into the secre  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2012, 19:13
This is a parallelism problem.

Spot the parallelism:

Just as
Part I : more powerful telescopes are penetrating deeper into the secrets of space,
so
Part II: the new colliding-beam machines help physicists to probe even more deep into the most basic natural phenomena.

The two verbs in bold must be parallel. E fixes it.

Crick
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Just as more powerful telescopes are penetrating deeper into the secre  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 18:13
Just as X so Y .... X and Y should be parallel only E has that. E is the best option.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 01:03
daagh sir
GMATNinja

Is it mandatory that in Just as X so Y idiom , both X and Y should be in same tense form as shown in this OE
Retired Moderator
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Just as more powerful telescopes are penetrating deeper into the secre  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 03:38
Top Contributor
Quote:
Just as more powerful telescopes are penetrating deeper into the secrets of space, so the new colliding-beam machines help physicists to probe even more deep into the most basic natural phenomena.

vikas

Although parallelism appears to the most apparent and appealing, yet there are other things too in this topic, but whether verb form is the only criterion of parallelism may not be very correct. After all, an official GMAT question may not be tested on such a narrow spectrum

a) help physicists to probe even more deep -- 'more deep' is not the accepted form of comparative degree. 'deeper' is the word choice.

b) help physicists in their probing even deeper -- 'in their probing' is awkward.

c) are helpful for physicists probing even deeper. -- 'are helpful' is wordier and less dynamic than the active and direct verb 'help'

d) are of help to physicists because they probe even more deeply -- The wordiest of all

e) are helping physicists probe even more deeply -- Now we can see why E is the best. It is also 'more parallel' than other choices.

GMAT tuition under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as self-study in the final reckoning

GMAT Club Bot
Just as more powerful telescopes are penetrating deeper into the secre   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2019, 03:38

Just as more powerful telescopes are penetrating deeper into the secre

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap