GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Just as reading Samuel Pepy's diary gives a student a sense of the sev

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
Just as reading Samuel Pepy's diary gives a student a sense of the sev  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Nov 2019, 01:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (00:57) correct 32% (01:10) wrong based on 814 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Just as reading Samuel Pepy's diary gives a student a sense of the seventeenth century—of its texture and psyche—so Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer inside turn-of-the century Vienna.

(A) so Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer

(B) so listening to Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer

(C) so the Guileless Child Narrator of Jane Freed takes the operagoer

(D) listening to Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer

(E) Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer to her opera

Originally posted by stolyar on 05 Nov 2003, 05:14.
Last edited by Bunuel on 14 Nov 2019, 01:01, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
SVP
SVP
Re: Just as reading Samuel Pepy's diary gives a student a sense of the sev  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2007, 16:41
just as X so y
or
just as x so too Y

Just as
reading Samuel Pepy's diary gives a student a sense of the seventeenth century—of its texture and psyche—
so
listening to Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoertakes the operagoer inside turn-of-the century Vienna.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: Just as reading Samuel Pepy's diary gives a student a sense of the sev  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2009, 05:19
(A) so Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer – just as X , so Y idiom is needed here just as reading Samuel Pepy’s diary…………. So Jane Freed’s is wrong X and Y must be be equal where X is reading OUT-
(B) so listening to Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer – just as X , so Y idiom just as reading(X) Samuel Pepy’s diary…………. So listening to Jane Freed’s Guileless Child Narrator is right X and Y where X and Y paralel-

(C) so the Guileless Child Narrator of Jane Freed takes the operagoer – just as X , so Y idiom is needed here just as reading Samuel Pepy’s diary…………. So The Guileless Child Narrator of Jane Freed is wrong X and Y must be be equal where X is reading and paralelism also must be constructed between Samuel Pepy’s diary…. And Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator -

(D) listening to Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer – just as X , so Y idiom is needed here just as reading Samuel Pepy’s diary…………. Listening to is wrong so is needed OUT-
(E) Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer to her opera– just as X , so Y idiom is needed here just as reading Samuel Pepy’s diary…………. Jane Freed’s….. is wrong so + Y(listening) is needed OUT-
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2019, 09:13
OG Solution: Idiom + Parallelism
This sentence is based on the comparative construction just as x, so y, x and y must be grammatically parallel elements. The underlined portion of the sentence makes up most of the y element, which must be revised to make it parallel to the x element. The first part of the comparison is about reading a diary, and the second part is about listening to a narrator. Reading Samuel Pepys’s diary gives a student… is parallel to listening to Jane Freed’s…narrator takes the operagoer…
G
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 01:40
stolyar wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 99
Page: 652

Just as reading Samuel Pepy's diary gives a student a sense of the seventeenth century—of its texture and psyche—so Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer inside turn-of-the century Vienna.

(A) so Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer

(C) so the Guileless Child Narrator of Jane Freed takes the operagoer

(E) Jane Freed's Guileless Child Narrator takes the operagoer to her opera

generis
Why can't we consider "so" an elipsis in D ? I don't see anything wrong with it. Please guide.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2019, 22:11
MikeScarn, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, hazelnut, generis
Hi, I couldn't find a reason to eliminate D.can someone explain what is wrong with it.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2019, 13:10
SonGoku wrote:
MikeScarn, GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, hazelnut, generis
Hi, I couldn't find a reason to eliminate D.can someone explain what is wrong with it.

Yeah, I don't really like this particular SC question. :x

Here are (B) and (D) again:

Quote:

Obviously, the only difference between (B) and (D) is the word "so". Why do we care about it? One (unsatisfying) answer is that "just as (X...), so (Y...)" is an idiom that the GMAT used to like. That's pretty much the end of the explanation of what the GMAT is thinking here. Crappy, right?

And I wouldn't worry about this AT ALL. For starters, I'm not 100% sure that this actually came from OG 11 -- I don't remember this question, but to be fair, I haven't used OG 11 much since 2007, when OG 12 came out (and my copy of OG 11 is literally in storage right now, so I can't check it right now, sadly). Even if it did come from OG 11, it's a really, really old question, and it's hard to find newer questions that test this silly little idiom in the same way. And in general, it's hard to get much benefit from studying the 25,000 or so idioms in English.

Bottom line: don't lose sleep over this one, because you're incredibly unlikely to see this same issue tested in the same way on your actual GMAT. :)

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Just as reading Samuel Pepy's diary gives a student a sense of the sev   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2019, 13:10

Just as reading Samuel Pepy's diary gives a student a sense of the sev

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics