Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Re: Just graduated with a 2.7 GPA. What now? [#permalink]
I only disagree with the point about getting college professor recommendations. Now I"m no expert, but some of the schools explicitly request that you NOT use a professor unless s/he employed you in some capacity. I guess considering your low GPA it might be a good way to showcase your academic skills, but it seems like a waste of a recommender when they're looking for professional impact.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
machichi wrote:
I guess considering your low GPA it might be a good way to showcase your academic skills, but it seems like a waste of a recommender when they're looking for professional impact.

Thanks for the reply Machichi. What kind of "professional impact" are they looking for?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Accounting, Marketing
GMAT Date: 09-01-2012
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Well, supposing you are legitimate, a 2.7 gpa isn't exactly inadmissible. It's not like you were a liberal arts major. On your application, just explain that maybe you didn't have good connections (or never slept with the right person); or couldn't pay for tutors, grades, classes or maybe had to work, have a life, etc.. On the GMAT or GRE, you must be competitive. Using myself as an example, I've been accepted to several top 25 schools--however, I have good work experience and a personality. As adcoms say, gpa is only one part of any application.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA4Jay wrote:
-however, I have good work experience and a personality.

What kind of work experience do you have? I thought it would be difficult to get work experience in a big company with a 2.7.

I'm into affiliate marketing and would like to work in that field. It should be different from most applicants and would probably help me stand out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Accounting, Marketing
GMAT Date: 09-01-2012
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Triton wrote:
MBA4Jay wrote:
-however, I have good work experience and a personality.

What kind of work experience do you have? I thought it would be difficult to get work experience in a big company with a 2.7.

I'm into affiliate marketing and would like to work in that field. It should be different from most applicants and would probably help me stand out.

Pretty good--corporate accounting, own several businesses, public speaking/presenting, and tons of charity/volunteer work.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I think you need to:
1. Smash the GMAT i.e. get it to within or better than the target schools' 80% GMAT range.
2. Build an alternate transcript that addresses your weakness(es), with good results.

Career-wise pre-MBA, it will be tough to secure a solid job at MNCs/IBs/Consulting firms, though. Whatever it is you end up in, you need to show good progress through promotions/awards/etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
2. Build an alternate transcript that addresses your weakness(es), with good results.

I did really poorly in statistics courses and accounting. I can do well building taking an accounting course but statistics I just can't see myself wrapping my head around. Do I build an alternative transcript strategically(e.g., take courses that I know I can do well in but simply didn't put in the effort to do so during university) or do I retake all the quantitative courses I did poorly in?

theK wrote:
Career-wise pre-MBA, it will be tough to secure a solid job at MNCs/IBs/Consulting firms, though. Whatever it is you end up in, you need to show good progress through promotions/awards/etc.

I suppose if I want to start my own venture I'd have to obtain exceptional sales figures? I'm not sure which big company would hire me with my GPA...I'm into affiliate marketing but also interested in management consulting. I doubt any Management Consultancy firm would hire me given my GPA. any thoughts?
GMAT Club Bot