Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 06 Jun 2020, 19:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Kelley (IU) vs Goizueta (Emory)? International Student

new topic post reply Update application status  

Kelley vs Goizueta

• 50% [2]
  • 50% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Kelley (IU) vs Goizueta (Emory)? International Student  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2020, 11:24
Hi All,

So I have admission offers on hand from these two FT MBA programs and need to decide between the two (since everyone else put me on waitlist)

- Kelley ($$)
- Goizueta ($$$)

Things I am considering while choosing between the two -

- Cost: Though the Goizueta scholarship is higher, a lower COA (tuition+living) at Kelley means that both work out to be similar in terms of how much I'd need to pay
- Fit: Leaning towards Goizueta - like the program, opportunities outside class better. Discussion with adcom/student made me feel comfortable. (PS: Nothing wrong with Kelley, brother's an alum and attended the "Virtual" welcome weekend which was good)
- Career: While Consulting/Strategy are my top options (background in Analytics/Healthcare/Consulting), I would not mind exploring some Tech related roles either. Goizueta seems to have the advantage for consulting, but I've been hearing that 3 of the big 4 are now not sponsoring H1Bs and MBB is anyway going to be a long long long shot. Also being in Atlanta may help.
- STEM designation: While the 3 prev factors point towards Goizueta, Kelley recently got a STEM designation and that's definitely going to help with recruiting for International students, and this is where my dilemma lies.

Looking for any opinions/views on the above, insights on current recruiting situation (pre-Covid19) for International students would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Reviews Badge
Re: Kelley (IU) vs Goizueta (Emory)? International Student  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2020, 14:37
I'd choose Emory given that I think its a stronger school than Kelley and you have more money. Especially given consulting seems like an easy choice.
Board of Directors
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Kelley (IU) vs Goizueta (Emory)? International Student  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2020, 15:25
Hey rishav17 ,

Congratulations for the two great admits. Tough decision. You have to evaluate between STEM and Career Goals now.

I think to be on a safer side, I would choose Kelley here with some hard reality with me.

Although Emory is known for Consulting, these are mostly domestic students these days that go into consulting considering a very few companies sponsor international students. I know alot of people from Kelley who are going to Tech and consulting. Yes, you might need to put extra efforts here but if I were you, I think I would have chosen Kelley considering the STEM security which at the end of the day is most important.

So, think about it. If you are ready to go beyond your comfort zone and do tons of networking, choose Kelley.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More | Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here | Have OPT questions? - Post them here.
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here. | Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
New! Executive Assessment (EA) Exam - All you need to know!
Retired Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2020, 16:04
Hi Rishav,

I think Abhishek touched upon some of the important factors.

Here are my two cents about Kelley based on my two years here (I don't know much about Emory, so can't compare)

STEM: Definitely a big advantage. It's not just you who want that cushion of two extra years and shots at H1B but also the recruiters will fill comfortable hiring a person whom they know can at least be in the country for 2 more years. They are looking at the ROI on the initial investment they make in you.

Career Goals: If I am not wrong, a majority of Indians come to business school in US to get a jot in consulting post-MBA. I was no different. But, once you come on campus and see other options, opportunity, and speak with people from different roles you may very well change your mind. There is a good chance that people just don't put enough time to diligently research other options and hence end up being in "love" with consulting. Also, consulting isn't very sane option in the current visa situation considering these companies have ~40% rejection rates in H1B.

Tech/Product Management roles: Kelley has started a lot of new things like PM certificate, Hi-Tech club focusing on PM roles, more active alumni base in tech, etc. That definitely increases your chance of getting a Tech role but at the same time people who got those have worked their ass off. Whatever the hard work that you are imagining right now, double or triple that! Because Kelley is not in the Bay Area or not a tech-renowned school like CMU.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any Kelley specific questions.

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2020, 13:18
Thanks for the insights abhimahna and mihir0710 ! Definitely helpful! And this backs up inputs I've gotten from others I've spoken to and also what's going on at the back of my head.

At this moment, I will mostly go ahead and accept & enroll at Kelley. Emory did grow on me through the application process, but Kelley seems the rational decision here. Unless something changes my mind between now & the weekend!

Thanks again! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Kelley (IU) vs Goizueta (Emory)? International Student   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2020, 13:18

Kelley (IU) vs Goizueta (Emory)? International Student

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate