It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 23:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kelley, Marshall, or Olin?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.24
Kelley, Marshall, or Olin? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 13:04
All-

Forgive me if there are any "rules" that I have violated; this is my 1st post.

I have been admitted to the 3 schools indicated above.

The decision points are not weighted equally; my father, being a huge "IU" guy has agreed to pay my tuition if I attend the school. Moreover, I am a resident of Indianapolis, my fiancee is an attorney in Indianapolis, and I have a sizable network that I have accumulated from 25 years of living in Indy.

I am looking to make my career within some facet of the life sciences, whether that be VC, PE, or I-Banking. With the information given, could anyone offer their $0.02 pertaining to which school that I should attend? Is conventional wisdom correct in that I would be a buffoon to go anywhere but IU? I should note that I have adequate finances to pay for business school without loans. Also, as a lifelong resident of Indiana, living in another state for 2-3 years at least does seem attractive at this time, but not so much that I would be willing to do something truly stupid for my financial position moving forward.

The true piece of information that I am looking to obtain is each school's devotion to the life sciences. Which school would best equip me for a career in this business sector?

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am looking to get my career (in a new business sector) off to a good start, and have a good experience in a fun location while doing so. Thank you for your input.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Kelley, Marshall, or Olin? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 13:18
If you plan to live in Southern California, then I would definitely pick USC. If you plan to stay in Indiana or in that general part of the country, then IU is the clear choice, especially if your father will pay for it.

BTW, that's weird that he would pay your tuition at IU but make you pay if you went somewhere else. I see what he is trying to accomplish by offering the incentive to stay in Indiana, but it is still a little odd.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 17:01
It seems like everything is driving you to IU, especially if you want to ultimately return there for school. I'm sure your wife would prefer to stay in Indy as well especially since she would have to take the bar in another state if she wanted to practice elsewhere.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.24

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 05:29
I agree that my father's actions are a bit odd. What can I say? He's an odd duck. I was wondering...does anyone know anything about each program's devotion to the life sciences/pharma/biotech? Each of them claims to offer a lot in this area (& I do believe them), but I was curious if anyone had any specific insight. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GPA: 3.4
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 06:41
timvanrooy122882 wrote:
All-

Forgive me if there are any "rules" that I have violated; this is my 1st post.

I have been admitted to the 3 schools indicated above.

The decision points are not weighted equally; my father, being a huge "IU" guy has agreed to pay my tuition if I attend the school. Moreover, I am a resident of Indianapolis, my fiancee is an attorney in Indianapolis, and I have a sizable network that I have accumulated from 25 years of living in Indy.

I am looking to make my career within some facet of the life sciences, whether that be VC, PE, or I-Banking. With the information given, could anyone offer their $0.02 pertaining to which school that I should attend? Is conventional wisdom correct in that I would be a buffoon to go anywhere but IU? I should note that I have adequate finances to pay for business school without loans. Also, as a lifelong resident of Indiana, living in another state for 2-3 years at least does seem attractive at this time, but not so much that I would be willing to do something truly stupid for my financial position moving forward.

The true piece of information that I am looking to obtain is each school's devotion to the life sciences. Which school would best equip me for a career in this business sector?

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am looking to get my career (in a new business sector) off to a good start, and have a good experience in a fun location while doing so. Thank you for your input.

Hard to argue with free tuition!
VP
VP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Kelley, Marshall, or Olin? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 02:03
Congrats for your schools.

I was going to recommend Kelley as I read years ago some sort of certification about science but I could not find any more. On the other hand, Marshal and Olin have addressed this field in some courses differently. So my recommendation will be between Olin and Marshal.

I visited Kelley once and I know how it is great. So I understand your father's loyalty :) . However, My advice, if you did not do it, is to integrate him somehow deeply about your interest by showing how each schools offers regarding life science. I think he may support you.

Good luck
Kelley, Marshall, or Olin?   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2017, 02:03

Kelley, Marshall, or Olin?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap