It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 06:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg v Booth PT

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Kellogg v Booth PT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 12:10
Hi everyone,

New poster here - been lurking for a while. I'm a Class of 2010 from the University of Chicago and am thinking about applying for Kellogg MBA program. I am currently working as a strategy consultant in a boutique firm and am taking the GMAT soon in order to apply in the upcoming year. As an undergraduate, I studied Economics and took 5 classes at Booth (undergrad and graduate sections) so I am familiar with Booth's well-known rigor and focus on economic theory.

After meeting various Kellogg alums I am sold on the school, with its friendly atmosphere and emphasis on teamwork. In my experience Booth students do not lack those qualities but I wanted to hear other people's opinions. I intend to advance in my consulting career (Kellogg seems like the obvious winner if so) and possibly move into the healthcare or education space later on. B-school hopefully will help me figure that out. Booth is known for finance but has an extremely flexible curriculum, rigorous academics, and a higher ranking.

What other perks about Kellogg sell it over Booth, and vice versa? On the other hand, would a flexible model such as UCLA FEMBA Flex or UNC Online MBA offer as enough networking and prestige?

Thank you in advance.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Sustainability
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)
Re: Kellogg v Booth PT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
hi, I have been to info session for both schools and I agree with you that Kellogg sells over Booth. I feel the students and admission officers are Kellogg are more friendly and encouraging.

I have some reservation for online MBA program too and would like to know more. Hope someone can answers :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2015, 11:40
I have read about the schools quite a bit and know quite a few people who have gone to Kellogg. Booth is stronger quantitatively and a better fit for many people who want to be quants, but like you said Kellogg is friendlier and stresses teamwork and is probably a better fit for consulting. Also, I forget which, but Bain or McKinsey hires some absurd amount (nearly 30%) of Kellogg grads.

kudos please and thank you!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2015, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If you're looking to get into consulting Kellogg is probably the #1 school to do that not just in comparison to Booth but most of the M7 as well. The school has a great reputation amongst the top firms with very high placement of alums in senior positions within the firms. Kellogg is a very high-touch school for these firms. One other benefit as a PT student is the shared recruiting the firms do during your final year as a student so for the most part if you interview as strongly as the FT students you will be given equal consideration in the recruiting process. As mentioned above by others the strong interpersonal skill development by Kellogg in and out of the classroom make it an obvious favorite over Booth for candidates interested in consulting.

Hope this helps!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
I actually am transferring to Kellogg from Booth PT. Its not been a great experience. Kellogg I didn't realize offers a lot more. You can even have the chance to transfer to FT after this first year after you want. After orientation are basically on your own at Booth, while at Kellogg I hear its more cohort style even with the PT. Everyone I've met at events from Kellogg Booth crossovers seem to be having a much better time.

Attending a Booth PT FT event? Don't bother those FT students at Booth have been some of the worst people I've ever encountered when it comes to their treatment of PT students. You should really consider Kellogg. PM if you don't believe I've attended Booth.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2017, 15:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
cantrollmyrs wrote:
I actually am transferring to Kellogg from Booth PT. Its not been a great experience. Kellogg I didn't realize offers a lot more. You can even have the chance to transfer to FT after this first year after you want. After orientation are basically on your own at Booth, while at Kellogg I hear its more cohort style even with the PT. Everyone I've met at events from Kellogg Booth crossovers seem to be having a much better time.

Attending a Booth PT FT event? Don't bother those FT students at Booth have been some of the worst people I've ever encountered when it comes to their treatment of PT students. You should really consider Kellogg. PM if you don't believe I've attended Booth.

Sorry to hear you had this negative experience. There are jerky and great students in all programs. It is a bit crazy to assume that Booth only admits Jerks and Kellogg has a jerk-detector that only let's angels in. I am sorry to disappoint you but you will run into the same rude crowd in Kellogg and somehow you missed some nice people at Booth. I don't know if there is a way to distinguish schools based on the students alone. What you alluded to above is an interpretation of the situation that others may interpret differently. Providing a bit more details would probably help others to see the root of the issue.

FYI - There are different policies towards FT and PT students at the two programs. For one, PT programs are easier to get into - they require a lower GMAT score and less competitive in general since they are limited by geography. For two, they are also cheaper, since one can continue working while at school. PT and FT programs are not the same. Many Schools separate the PT and FT students at a number of times including recruiting events and very few have such known and generous policies such as Kellogg for the PT students. Keep in mind, however, policies are subject to change.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 17:37
I totally agree with bb. There are all kinds of people in every school. Mere opinion of a few or your limited experience of interacting with a handful shouldn't make you turn down Booth. Having said that, given the fact you wish to do consulting post-MBA, Kellogg still makes more sense. But if Booth attracts you for it's quant heavy culture (or for anything else that you weren't considering before) don't hesitate to choose it just because of few bad conversations. Either way, you'll do absolutely fine :-D

bb wrote:
cantrollmyrs wrote:

Sorry to hear you had this negative experience. There are jerky and great students in all programs. It is a bit crazy to assume that Booth only admits Jerks and Kellogg has a jerk-detector that only let's angels in. I am sorry to disappoint you but you will run into the same rude crowd in Kellogg and somehow you missed some nice people at Booth. I don't know if there is a way to distinguish schools based on the students alone. What you alluded to above is an interpretation of the situation that others may interpret differently. Providing a bit more details would probably help others to see the root of the issue.

FYI - There are different policies towards FT and PT students at the two programs. For one, PT programs are easier to get into - they require a lower GMAT score and less competitive in general since they are limited by geography. For two, they are also cheaper, since one can continue working while at school. PT and FT programs are not the same. Many Schools separate the PT and FT students at a number of times including recruiting events and very few have such known and generous policies such as Kellogg for the PT students. Keep in mind, however, policies are subject to change.
Re: Kellogg v Booth PT   [#permalink] 07 May 2017, 17:37

Kellogg v Booth PT

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap